Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what the practical differences are between the 6.5 remington Magnum and the 260rem. I have a 260 rem and have found it to be a good, well balanced round, however was wondering if the 6.5rem mag is more of a good thing? I use it for hunting in Australia and was thinking about doing a rebarrel and opening the bolt face up. The 6.5 SAUM was also a consideration, but wonder if the old rem mag might be a better option. The rifle it would be going into is a short action Ruger. I am also leaning toward a 26 inch barrel as I like longer iron.

Has anyone got any experience with the 6.5 remington magnum as there is little information on what I suspect is a good cartridge.

Thanks

LowBC

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I used to have the hot's for a 6.5 Rem Mag, glad I'm over it. There are just so many better options today. Personally I would look at the 6.5-284 instead. Lot's of info on that available.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with ruffcutt, I like the 6.5 Rem Mag, but there's no reason to choose it over a 6.5-284 in my opinion.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You can go the Hodgdon site, look at the load data and compare the velocities using the same bullet weights between the 260 Rem vs the 6.5mm Rem Mag and go from there.

I personally wouldn`t opt out of the 260 Rem in favor of the 6.5mm Rem Mag.

Imo, any real gain which would justify a rifle modification and its price to do so, would have to have at the very least, a 250 fps across the board average increase........Otherwise, I wouldn`t change anything.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 6.5 rem mag Douglas 26" barrel and a friend has a 6.5 rem mag Shilen 26" barrel and I reload for both. Either will shoot 140 gr bullets to 3100 fps and 130 gr bullets to 3200 fps. Whether that is enough of a step up from a 260, I don't know since I have never loaded for a 260.

The 6.5 rem mag is easy to load for and there are components and dies available.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 6.5 Rem Mag is always put down because the flavor of the month right now happens to be the 6.5-.284. The Rem Mag holds about 5 more grains of powder than the 6.5-.284 which in my eyes makes it somewhat of an improved version of the .284. I own 2, a model 600 and a 700 and both are accurate as hell. Why settle for balony when there's venison steak to be had.

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I agree with ruffcutt, I like the 6.5 Rem Mag, but there's no reason to choose it over a 6.5-284 in my opinion.

Sure there's a reason...factory loaded ammo is still available for the 6.5 RM, not so ever with the 6.5-284. That and you don't have to custom form brass.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ken458

Sure there's a reason...factory loaded ammo is still available for the 6.5 RM, not so ever with the 6.5-284. That and you don't have to custom form brass.
6.5-284 brass is available,but when I rebarrel my 7mmSAUM it will become a 6.5 Rem Mag.I already have the brass and dies.The cartridge intrigues me and with the 130 Accubond should be murder on mulies and caribou.Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Woods,

Given your experience, are you pushing the 6.5RM through a short action or long action?

That is a significant step up from the 260 with the velocities you are achieving. The best I can do safely with the 260rem is about 2950 with a 120 grain nosler BT.

Thanks LowBC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ken458

I haven`t seen 6.5 Rem mag ammo offered for a while but---

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=3&categoryId=18309&categoryString=653***690***

I won`t point ya to 6.5x284 brass though.... wink

BTW Ken Waters states in the beginning of "A New Look At The 6.5 Remington Magnum" in "Pet Loads"

I won`t go into the details of those earlier trials, but confess that they didn`t engender any particular fondness for the new cartridge. It wasn`t long before I removed the 6.5 barrel from my Springfield, which should give some indication of how I felt about the whole thing

He ends the artical with the comment

As for the cartridge, though, I`m afraid my original conclusion that the 6.5 remington magnum is a better factory round then it is a handloaders hull still stands.

whistle

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at the numbers in Noslers latest manual,it's a fair step up.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
LowBC,

If your 260 is shot out I'd more seriously consider the 6.5 RM than the 6.5-284 or the 6.5 RSAUM, personally.

The reason is that it'll most likely feed easier... or require less work... than the other two. In a CRF action the 6.5-284 with its rebated rim can be a bear.

If your 260 isn't shot out I'd stick with it and buy a new rifle. Maybe even just buy a short action and build the 6.5 Rem Mag?

I'm glad you brought this subject up because I'm thinking through a 6.5 build of some kind myself. I keep going between a 260 Rem, a 260 AAR (All Around Rifle) and a 6.5 RM. I've pretty much decided that it depends upon the action.

If I get a short action it'll be the first or last, if I go w/ an intermediate length Mauser action the middle or the last.

The 260 AAR is essentially 257 Ackley Improved necked to 6.5mm, or to say it another way a 6.5x57 Ackley Improved.

The 260 is, as you say, a fine round. FWIW, my two-cents says either shoot out that barrel and build yourself this 6.5 RM, or get another action upon which to build it.

Either way, keep this baby alive; objections concerning the 6.5-284 notwithstanding it is a very worthwhile cartridge that needs all the help it can get!

BTW- what makes the 6.5-284 "better"? Different maybe, more "in" faddish-wise, but better?

Last edited by efw; 07/27/09. Reason: question at end
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't forget the 6.5x55 BJ Ackley. Developed by Bob Jordon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
LowBC,

Maybe even just buy a short action and build the 6.5 Rem Mag?

I'm glad you brought this subject up because I'm thinking through a 6.5 build of some kind myself. I keep going between a 260 Rem, a 260 AAR (All Around Rifle) and a 6.5 RM. I've pretty much decided that it depends upon the action.

If I get a short action it'll be the first or last, if I go w/ an intermediate length Mauser action the middle or the last.

Both the 6.5 rem mags I posted about were built off of 300 win mags. Mine was a Browning BBR with a short magazine where I couldn't load close to the lands with the 300. With the rebarrel I was able to have the lands set way out so I could put that long 6.5 bullet out there

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The other gun rebarreled to 6.5 rem mag was a Vanguard and neither of these guns has a feeding problem.

I don't think the 6.5 rem mags I reload for would perform as well in a short action, especially with the heavier bullets.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been shooting 6.5s for a bunch of years, and I have moved down in bullet weight as bullet designs advanced. I stuck on the 140 gr Hornady Spire Point for a lot of years, but now I am down to the 120 gr to 130 gr for most of my hunting with my 6.5-'06. I think I can move down to a short action and get the same of improved ballistics while having a lighter and handier rifle.

I shot my first deer with a 6.5X55.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HunterJim
I have been shooting 6.5s for a bunch of years, and I have moved down in bullet weight as bullet designs advanced. I stuck on the 140 gr Hornady Spire Point for a lot of years, but now I am down to the 120 gr to 130 gr for most of my hunting with my 6.5-'06. I think I can move down to a short action and get the same of improved ballistics while having a lighter and handier rifle.

I shot my first deer with a 6.5X55.

jim
My thoughts exactly.Barnes has a new 6.5 TTSX in I believe 125gr,and there is also the 130 Accubond.These bullets should fit easily in a M700 short action and make the 6.5 Rem Mag more thab feasible as a flat shooting deer rifle.If you want to shoot 160s,then a 6.5-.284 in a long action might be the way to go! Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thank you Gents.

Interesting point re the bullet selection and what that means for each particular cartridge. I know nosler bought out the 100 grain partition specifically for the 260rem.

The more I think about converting to a 6.5RM, the more I feel like my 7mmRM is becoming redundant, given it has a 338wm as a big brother.

Nothing like some good procrastination and chin scratching.

LowBC

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by LowBC

Nothing like some good procrastination and chin scratching.

LowBC

Seriously... if it weren't for chin scratching and "talking things over" this forum would barely have a reason to exist.

I've found this to be true of hunting trips, and family vacations for that matter... when it comes right down to it, I get more joy out of considering destinations, preparing for the trips with maps and equipment, etc, than I do out of the trip itself!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LowBC,

I favor "creative procrastination"; it has eliminated some chores while I was still thinking about whether to do them or not...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I dont have any experience with the 6.5 rem mag, but i do with a 6.5X55 in a 700 classic. The way i look at it is, if you are looking for a long range set-up then go with a long action. The 6.5-06 AI is a really good wild cat, or the 264 win mag is even more potent.

I personally, do not like belted mags, theres no need for the belt, so why have it? If you want a short mag take a good hard look at the 7mm saum, yes its a dead round, but you can buy Rifles chambered in it for a song and a dance. There are tons of great bullets, and its ballistics mimic the 280 AI. I bought one in a stainless, synthetic, model 7 and its a great little, accurate, rifle.

With that said, if you want a different cartridge that no one else will have at the range, go with the 6.5 rem mag, but a 6.5 saum would really be different. The saum case has a long neck, is more tapered than a wsm, and its capacity is very good, Norma also now makes 300 saum brass.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 57 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.