Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh cry me a river. Dan Rather wants Obama to save the news media. And he gets all teary eyed too. Well, boo-hoo-hoo.

The best part of the article are the reader comments at the end. Click on the link and read some of them. Rather sure doesn't seem to be eliciting much sympathy.

Dan Rather wants Obama to help save the news
by Andrew Travers, Aspen Daily News Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Former CBS News anchor Dan Rather called on President Barack Obama to form a White House commission to help save the press Tuesday night in an impassioned speech at the Aspen Institute.

�I personally encourage the president to establish a White House commission on public media,� the legendary newsman said.

Such a commission on media reform, Rather said, ought to make recommendations on saving journalism jobs and creating new business models to keep news organizations alive.

At stake, he argued, is the very survival of American democracy.

�A truly free and independent press is the red beating heart of democracy and freedom,� Rather said in an interview yesterday afternoon. �This is not something just for journalists to be concerned about, and the loss of jobs and the loss of newspapers, and the diminution of the American press� traditional role of being the watchdog on power. This is something every citizen should be concerned about.�

Rather, who has been a working reporter for more than six decades and currently hosts �Dan Rather Reports� on HDNet, pointed out that there are precedents for such national commissions, which have been used to help other at-risk industries.

Corporate and political influence on newsrooms, along with the conflation of news and entertainment, has created what Rather called �the dumbing down and sleazing up of what we see on the news.�

It has also thinned the amount of investigative and international journalism. The latter loss of correspondents covering America�s two foreign wars, Rather opined, is both a critical detriment to the nation and a disservice to our troops.

Tears welled in the lifelong reporter�s eyes as he discussed the dwindling number of war correspondents.

�I feel particularly strong about coverage of the wars,� he said, noting that covering the war in Afghanistan is his top priority on his HDNet program. �No apologies, both as a journalist and as a citizen I just can�t stand to leave those guys out there, fighting, dying, bleeding, getting torn up and say, �Look, it�s page 14 news.� Or �Sorry, not on tonight�s newscast.� It�s an example of the problem, that and not having the watchdogs.�

The free press, as established by the First Amendment to the Constitution, ought to operate as a public trust, not solely as a money-making endeavor, Rather argued, and it�s time the government make an effort to ensure the survival of the free press. If not the government, he suggested, then an organization like the Carnegie Foundation should take it on. Without action, he predicted, America will lose its independent media.

�If we do nothing more than stand back and hope that innovation alone will solve this crisis,� he said, �then our best-trained journalists will lose their jobs.�

Link to story

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ROTFLMAO... Dumbazzes like Dan Rather are the ones that have CAUSED the news media to become the laughing stock of the world..

What a complete and total imbecile...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"A truly free and independent press".....that's a howler

Obama owns their asses

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
�I personally encourage the president to establish a White House commission on public media,� the legendary newsman said.

I.e., establish a means to control all news information from the White House.

Funny, didn't the Soviets have something like this? Don't the Iranians, the North Koreans, and the Chinese?

Thought so.....................

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Who is going to save the MSM from themselves?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can send MSM a nuke, Bob!
That would save us from them, at least...
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Asking Obama and the government to save the press and keep it independent ... is like asking the fox to guard the hen house.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Dan Rather is a scum bag...

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
The only thing that will save the media and restore true journalism is a quick death to most of the MSM and people like asswipe Rather. I almost puked at his remark about saving Democracy. What an [bleep].

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Without action, he predicted, America will lose its independent media.

DR, you mean will lose it's biased libtard media.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dan Rather is just sucking up to be appointed Media Czar.

The problem with the "news" is that some people can see through the propaganda and double speak of the liberal media.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Fax News keeps winning market share for a reason.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I loved the reader comments...really
hey, Dan ya big blowhard, no 1st with out a very solid 2nd in place!!

Meat is Murder
tasty, tasty murder
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old media is obsolete, just like the horse and buggy. Get over it.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given our shifts in technology and that the me generation is only concerned with self, news as an industy is going to have to reinvent itself. I think half of today's young adults keep up via Letterman and Obrian monologues.

Sensationalism and ratings are the in thing for radio, press, and TV, and objective reporting is out the window. The foregin press does a better job of covering relevant issues in this country, than our own. The only paper left worth reading is the Wall Street Journal.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reason they're going out of business is because of their blatant bias and love affair for the liberal politicians. People have figured out their corruption and moved on to other sources. If they want to stay in business, I suggest they start REPORTING the facts vice passing the propaganda. Isn't it ironic that Fox News has no financial problems at all?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Without action, he predicted, America will lose its independent media."

"independent media" bwahahahahahahahahahaha.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I feel Dan Rather is right. After all it would be pay back for all the support for decades of service for the liberal fascist democrats. After all, it was easy for one group of liberal fascist to deliver hand in hand for a different group of liberal fascist.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
I feel Dan Rather is right.

Why, am I not surprised?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.