Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I had just put on a little midge nymph. I let it do it's first float and then picked it up to cast to another spot. It felt odd and I thought my line had wrapped around my reel. When I could see no obvious problems I pulled in my line to find this whopper had received a free round trip ride on the Big Sky express. None of his buddies are going to believe him when he tells his tale of terror in the upper world.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 07/31/09. Reason: Copied to other forum.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting a mount done?! wink

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They always look bigger when you hold them close to the camera like that.... wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
They always look bigger when you hold them close to the camera like that.... wink
Ingwe

That made me laugh. I was definitely trying to make it look bigger to avoid unnecessary embarassment.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm going to go give the trout a try this week....but I may hold out for something even bigger!!! grin
We'll see...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Despite its small size, it appears to have a pretty good grip on your pinky finger. Savage little beasts.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/10/09.

1Minute
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I hooked one that size on the Yellowstone River that size downstream of LeHardy Rapids and above the real flat stretch before Buffalo.....er Nez Perce Ford (What the hell was wrong with keeping the name Buffalo Ford?) There's a nice pool in higher flows there where the river turns against the highway.

Anywho, I hooked the fish in flew through the air and back into the water. I dropped my rod dip and gave it some slack hoping it would get off the fly. I pulled the rod tip up and found myself fast to a 3 pound cutthroat.

I fought the fish for a while with the wee trout still dangling out of the big trout's mouth. Eventually, the small fry fell off, and I landed the nice cutt.

It was the only time I've ever caught a fish with a live or, for that matter, a dead minnow.

It was the only time I ever broke the fishing laws in Yellowstone. I was a bit nervous. It was also weird as I had read Charles Brooks story where he'd done a similar thing, also by accident, on the Firehole.

I had no witnesses as my Dad had headed back to the truck already.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Similar incident on Oregon's Metolius where the original take was about a 10 inch rainbow at the Bridge 99 pool. I had seen the take, put all the stress I could on the fish with a 4-lb tippet, and could not move it at all as it did 5 slow motion laps around the pool. On the 5t pass it was close enough in that I saw about a 30-inch Bull trout with my fish clamped hotdog style in its jaws. Head out the right side and tail out the left.

Being alone at the time, I readied my self on the 6th lap with my net planted on the bottom, and had hopes of simply lifting the net beneath the fish as it came around again. Execution though demanded that I shift my footing at the last instant. That spooked the bull trout and he released my rainbow. With my 4-wt bent nearly double, the rainbow went nearly 5 feet in the air. I unhooked the fly, put the fish back in the water, and it took off in fine form. First and last time that I've ever had a fish that was probably thankful for being hooked up.

I've since learned that some folks fish for those big bulls with a daisy chain rig. A hares ear on top and big stone fly trailing. They catch a trout on the hares ear using it like a ford fender to attract the bull trout as they walk the length of the pool. The flash brings up the big boy, and he takes the stonefly that's trailing behind.

In a couple of similar salt water situations, I only landed half of the initial taker.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/12/09.

1Minute
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I thought my accidently live minnow fishing in Yellowstone was bad. I imagine doing the something with an endangered bull trout is now a federal offense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You ever pick your line up off the water to cast and a poor little feller like that is on the hook and goes for a ride? I'm sure sorry when that happens.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Actually, that's what happened on my accidental live minnow incident in Yellowstone. The poor fella flew over a 10 or 12 foot arc.........wheeeeeeee!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Mines bigger! laugh

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This reminds me of Cliff Claven's fishing safari on "Cheers". The Mailman was a class or I should say a classless act.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 1936M71, 47 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,148
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.