-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A friend of mine hosts an annual youth deer hunt on his farm during the youth hunt weekend. He gets one of those large smokers on a trailer and smokes turkeys and briskets and has a huge noon day meal for all the families. This year he wants me to supply "exotic" wild game. I think he's thinking more along the lines of rabbit or squirrel but I'd rather have coon or bobcat. Anyone here slow smoke either? I'm thinking of a dry rub and wrapping in foil and smoking for 6-8 hours.

Last edited by Kodiakisland; 08/02/09.
GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Bobcat? You eat Bobcat?

God made some men big and some men small,but Sam Colt evened things up.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nebrcowgirl
Bobcat? You eat Bobcat?

There are plenty that think Cougar is as good as wild game gets. I doubt bobcat would be all that different. I've never tried either, but I'll be damned if I ever turn it down.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prostrate8
Bobcat? You eat Bobcat?

There are plenty that think Cougar is as good as wild game gets. I doubt bobcat would be all that different. I've never tried either, but I'll be damned if I ever turn it down.

I knew a meat cutter who would make cougar sausage. He told me that it had to be well cooked as it was the highest bacteria count of all wild meats. I am guessing bobcat would be the same. Never tried it but I would not turn it down.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got an old South Dakota Game & Fish wildgame cook book with about anything you can think of in it.... 'possum anybody? sick

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Possum may be the only thing I cannot do. It is a mental thing that came when I was a kid about 4 or 5. My grandfather found a dead horse when he and I were taking a walk. It was bloating in the warm sun and the belly was just churning. He told me to watch and he gave a mighty kick to that poor old horse's stomach and out flew about a dozen possums. That image is still clear in my mind tonight. I would have to be darned hungry to try possum.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Years ago, when I was still running a trap line.....I discovered the great taste of bobcat. Kept reading about how mountain men though so highly of cougar, so decided to try some of the bobcats I was skinning.

Meat is very light (almost white) and fine grained.....much like veal or pork. Surprisingly, it is very mild in taste. In fact that is the key to cooking bobcat......treat it gently. Too much spice can overpower the delicate flavor. I cooked the backstraps and hams and the meat was always very tender and moist.

Just use any recipe for veal or pork, keeping in mind that strong spices should be moderated a bit. Cook it sloooow over indirect heat on a grill and you won't be sorry.

As far as coon......cook it exactly like a pork roast, but make sure it is kept moist. Coon doesn't have nearly the fat content of pork and may need "help" to avoid a tough, dry result. If the coon is half-grown, it can be placed directly on the grill....but a full-grown coon will need to be boiled before smoking as they tend toward being pretty tough when older. In fact, pre-boiling before grilling is not a bad idea on all coons regardless of age.

Coon tastes very much like bear (if you've eaten bear meat), but is not so fat. Very good when slow cooked.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it has been my experience, that you cook game according to the fat content.
Lean meat you cook more like you would veal, and fatty meats you do as you would a similar cut of pork.

and possum ain't that bad, really smile

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ate bobcat ONCE... tasted like Tom Cat Pizz...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by prostrate8
Bobcat? You eat Bobcat?

I knew a meat cutter who would make cougar sausage. He told me that it had to be well cooked as it was the highest bacteria count of all wild meats. I am guessing bobcat would be the same. Never tried it but I would not turn it down.

bet it aint any more dangerous than supermarket chicken or pork.......its just a meat you cook till done and dont serve rare.....keep that in mind and your going to be fine.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

and possum ain't that bad, really smile

Think I will just have to trust you on this one. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rattler

bet it aint any more dangerous than supermarket chicken or pork.......its just a meat you cook till done and dont serve rare.....keep that in mind and your going to be fine.....

I cannot fault you on this one. That is why we eat our own chickens and cook our pork till it is done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i aint big on chicken.....other than picking up a few breasts for my chicken and wild rice casserole a handful times a year i dont eat it all that much.....ate more than my fair share of it growing up cause it was cheap meat and i dont eat it all that often anymore, especially pan fried, hate pan fried chicken.....if given the choice between chicken and something else i generally choose something else....unless i get farther east than North Dakota.....i cant stand Midwest and east coast beef....if im that direction i stick to chicken grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (12344mag, akrange, 2500HD, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 8 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,085
Posts18,501,687
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.