Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 207 of 1,842 1 2 205 206 207 208 209 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I hunt from the ground too Stan. I bought one of the Ameristep one man blinds about 5 years ago. It worked ok for the first few days, but than we got some freezing rain and it collapsed from the weight. The frame just wasn't strong enough.

I've gone back to natural materials.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Setting up in the absolute middle of a field is no problem.It just looks like a big brush pile.You do not have 360 vision.180 is the best you can do.I still like them despite that.You just set up facing where you figure the deer are moving.
Back in April in turkey season I had three hens come from behind me.Two went on one side of my blind and one on the other.They stopped right in front of me about 20 feet away and never realized I was there.
Hearing something behind you and not being sure what it is makes your nerves stand on end.
At any rate the ground blinds have their applications.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman

I think I will buy something, I will look at Stan's recommendation. Most of it is field so, it may be hard to conceal.

Then I would recommend putting it out a week or two before season, and I think you'll be fine.

the good thing about those, Beretta, is if your careful, you can put a heater in them. grin

Last edited by tzone; 08/03/09.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
a heater? A HEATER? Heaters are for sissies! I ain't puttin' no stinkin' heater in my deer stand, what are you, from Florida or Alabama or Texas or Wisconsin or sumtin? laugh

Actually, that is a great idea if'n I bring the girl out. For me, I am used to a portable, so just keeping the wind off me would be a treat.

Can you get ones with a 360 view? I think I would need that.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No heaters for this MN boy. I just live here, not from here. grin

The blind I use for turkey hunting is called a Tom Taker, by Ameristep. You can see 360. It has various windows and openings you can open or not, depends on what you want. I think it was $110 at Fleet Farm. Gander wanted $150 for them.

It is a newer fabric that isn't as noisy when it's cold out, similar to a double bull, but not as heavy duty.

A bit of a warning though, they are not as water proof as they look. They'll shed some water, but if it is in a steady rain, eventully you'll get wet.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Double Bulls are the shizt but they are SPENDY! But HEY! Berrettaman has a construction loan I'm thinkin. He can stock up on all kinds of neat hunting stuff now!

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ill swish in with one of my favorite ground blind materials. Cammo fleece. Buy it at the wallyworld. about a yard and a half. Packs light as a feather, and it hangs from branches with ease. you can get it to hang from just about anything,like tree bark. just enough to beak my outline or let me move around a little.

My hunk of fleece has become a "always with me" item while deer hunting.

Also use it as a seat on the ground or on stand, blanket if I get cold legs. head or neck wrap , padding for your drag rope, cut a piece off for bumm wipe. Bla bla bla...seven dollars for a beer!?...Im going to bed.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ha, yes, Berettaman has a construction loan, but it is not to be used for hunting stuff! Mama says so and I aint gonna go against Mama.

First work on the lot tonite; we sprayed thistles. Tomorrow we stake out the house. baby steps.

Camo fleece. Hmmm. That would work good in a woods, but how to make that work in the middle of a prairie/grassland?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Check out some of that burlap. comes in camo. Get the pattern tht matches the field you hunt. Use some fence posts and wrap it around, wire to the posts...voila, a blind. Its like 15 bucks for a bunch of it. gander, fleet, walmart, they all have it. You could make two of them for a few different wind directions.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We started the bard board washing tonight, pics in the morn.

hey swish, good of you to stop in.

I like that tip.

Something clever here.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
creator of the chickenbuck & flying bear holding down the load of boards we are working out of.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am doing most of the spraying myself but Runswithscissors wanted to give it a try, he did a good job too.

[Linked Image]

here's what our stack of cleaned boards is looking like. it's really piling up & we've hardly made a dent in that trailer load. I think we've got plenty, more than enough to do the cabin.

[Linked Image]

close up.

[Linked Image]

I'll try to get a picture of the boards dry maybe tonight.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey Dave, that'll look good at the cabin. Get that addition on and do the inside with that too. Was out and about last night on the ranger checking my deer stands and getting the low down on where i wanted the shooting lanes cut. They're actually more like sight lanes in the crp. It was a nice night out and we saw a lot of deer around as well. should be a dandy season again. those boards look great. I've been t&g at the lake. Fun stuff to do.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I actually thought of the burlap deal, but it isnt really portable. I was thinking about hanging some burlap on the side of the blind to make it more realistic.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I huse the hunters specialties camo cloth and or burlap camo out in the dark timber for home made ground blinds, I like it, quick & easy.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Word of warning though.

Whatever blind you decide on, hang a visible piece of bright orange on all sides if you're rifle hunting. The orange you have on does you no good sitting in a blind. And a hunter 300 yards away is not likely to recognize the blind.

Just a safety tip.

Rooster

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
this is mandatory in WI on all public lands, optional on private land.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
my grandson was looking at the pictures and he wants to know if he can come and play with your boys? he's really impressed with the power washer.

laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No the fence post isn't real portable. but the way Big Swish does it would work better for portable.

Dave, Those boards look sweet. You going to stain them, clear coat, or nuttin?

Last edited by tzone; 08/05/09.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My "quick 'n easy" blind is a 4'X7' piece of waterproof camo cloth with a hem sewn in two sides thru which camo parachute cord(12')is run.
Tie it between trees top and bottom and sit behind it on a camo covered inner tube(10").Tyeing it top and bottom prevents it waving in any wind.The blind folds up about the size of a pack of cigarettes and stuffs into the middle of the inner tube cover.
The whole thing snaps on your belt.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
WOW! I haven't been by for a couple weeks and was surprised to be almost 25 pages behind. Griz, glad to see that your son is home and doing well. Also, congratulations to Beretta on the beginning of lot prep for the new digs. Exciting times, as I remember from 19.....!

ND, that is some fine barn board. I used new barn boards from 84 Lumber for our rec room. Rubbed in 3 coats of clear satin polyurethane after nailing it up. In 3 years it had aged to a sharp honey-gold patina. Great backdrop for several mounted deer heads.

Wife and I (and Hershey, the chocolate Lab!) have been spending lots of time at Camp Mental Floss. Cool weather this summer has kept the fishing pretty good right through July. Lots of tasty perch and crappie fillets finding their way to the Fry Daddy! Yum Yum!!!

Tomorrow I'm going to get a Photo Bucket account and try to post some pictures from our camp on here. I'm not very IT-capable but maybe I'll get lucky and figure it out!

Loved the pic of The Preacher watering the "flowers". I believe Camp Chickenbuck has been officially "baptized"! Can I have an "Amen"!?!

Dave, does the picture of Runs-With-Scissors behind the wheel of your truck remind you of your youthful escapades? If so, might I offer my condolences and suggest Pepto-Bismal?

Catch you all later!

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
Page 207 of 1,842 1 2 205 206 207 208 209 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (1_deuce, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.