Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Beyond a doubt this is the most worthless thread I have seen on the internet, it is totally without substance..

Every cartridge mentioned is a good cartridge and I don't see that any of them are over rated, you either like them or you don't and mostly when folks make such statement they are based on what they heard or read..If you use any of them properly you will probably like them.

To say the 30-06, .270, 7 mag., 300s for instance are over rated is beyond my imagination, they are such great cartridges. to say belted rounds are over rated also leaves me cold, I can't think of any better rounds than the .300 Win mag, 338 win., 375 H&H and the 416 Rem..

I give up God is great, beer is good and people are crazy~! smile smile smile

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
+1

For me, the .30-06 was hot almost before any girls were. Now I just want to become a brilliant rifleman with it and take it all over the world. If not for the recoil, it would be perfect IMO.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree with your assessment of the thread so far, but here is one for your consideration: I never could see the point of the .22 magnum. Too expensive for plinking, too destructive on edible small game, too loud for urban/suburban pest control, not enough range for most varmint shooting work, too light for deer (although an ark full have been killed with it, I suspect a couple of ark loads have wandered of to die), and inconsistent factory ammo quality/indifferent accuracy.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with Ray on this one. What a worthless thread, although I wasted the time to read it! If one can shoot his or her rifle well and put the bullet where it needs to be, that is all that matters. We all have our preferences, and isn't it odd how the most popular cartridge (.30-06, .308 Win, 7mm Mag) are "overrated"? It seems that they just work well to me!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by atkinson
Beyond a doubt this is the most worthless thread I have seen on the internet, it is totally without substance..

Every cartridge mentioned is a good cartridge and I don't see that any of them are over rated, you either like them or you don't and mostly when folks make such statement they are based on what they heard or read..If you use any of them properly you will probably like them.

To say the 30-06, .270, 7 mag., 300s for instance are over rated is beyond my imagination, they are such great cartridges. to say belted rounds are over rated also leaves me cold, I can't think of any better rounds than the .300 Win mag, 338 win., 375 H&H and the 416 Rem..

I give up God is great, beer is good and people are crazy~! smile smile smile
........I agree with ya Atkee!!

Some have said that the WSMs are over-rated. But nevermind, that 300 WSM can come to within 30-50 fps of the 300 Winny while using 6% to 8% less powder. And nevermind that the 270 WSM exceeds the 270 Win by a good 150-200 fps while nearly on par with the 270 Wby. And nevermind of course, that rifles chambered in the shorter WSMs are generally lighter and are just as accurate as their longer bros.

I`ll take these types of "over-rated" cartridges anytime.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

I think the most overrated gun is is my childhood BB gun. I could hit a rabbit on the run at 100 yards with that thing and send it tumbling... I must have flinched on the trigger pull.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have guns in quite a few calibers, but if you have to pick on one that is overrated it must be rated toward the top. My choice for most overrated is the 30-06. (I have two) Good cartridge. It just gets waaaaaay too much press. It is such because over the last 100yrs people have gotten a soft spot (granddad's stories and two world wars, etc) in their hearts for it. There are probably better all around cartridges, but emotion wins out in this game.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To continue the chick analogies, then I guess the 7 Rem Mag is the hot looking hooker who turns out to have a Johnson under its miniskirt.

Now that's funny!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
all of the short mags with the exeptions of the 270wsm

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by Charshooter
most overrated, 6.5x55 and 7x57 they just don't have the power. The 8mm Remington Magnum and that little 325, not enough bullet selection, Remington should have went with a full magnum length 338. Most quarter bores, since the only good big game bullet is the 117 or 120 and the 130 grain 270 Winchester passes them up where it counts. I think the 257 Weatherby and 250 Savage were or are overrated. Another is the 243 Winchester, it is too much of a compromise, as if hunters had only one rifle for varmints and deer.

After years, I now think the most underrated are the short action standard rounds, 260, 7/08, 308 and 358, all good but I was magnum crazy most of my good hunting years.

30-06 and 270 are very good but I do agree the 280 is underrated

You, obviously, have zero experience with any of the rounds mentioned in your first DSMFer paragraph. Cluelessness, is telling.

Well you know about opinions. Rifle caliber issues, it is easy to step on toes when ever you mention those old sacred rounds, but the simple truth is the 260 Remington is more flexible the 6.5 x 55 and the old 7x57 are just that, an old round. The 7mm/08 will do as well and these fit all short action rifles. Most friends I load and target shoot with use the 308 case necked down to 6mm 6.5 and 7mm.

The old rounds are good just overrated today.

Born Pre-War and Proud of it!

IC B3

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Most over-rated IMO - anything in a belted case.

+1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WTF
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Most over-rated IMO - anything in a belted case.

+1

"Overrated" usually means "I haven't used it..." or, "I can handload my cartridge to come within "X" fps of that other cartridge...",or,subliminally,"..it kicks too much for me,and I've killed 6 deer with my cartridge and therefore the harder-kicking cartridge is overrated"...,or some other purely subjective drivel based on interpolation and quoting numbers from a ballistic tables, instead of hard fact,use in the field,and time on the range and over the chronograph.

Take the above statement and followup for example (no offense intended,guys).I'm sure folks like Warren Page, Elgin Gates,(yes,even Jack O'Connor)and many others with worldwide hunting experience on a large variety of big game,even today,would laugh their arses off at a blanket-condemnation of all belted cases being "overrated",especially if these statements are made by folks who have never done a lot of hunting with them.

Anyone care to discuss how "overrated" the 300 Weatherby is as a big game cartridge?..... smirk

And silly comments about things like the 6.5x55 or 7x57 being "overrated" because they don't meet the contemporary criteria of being squeezed into stubby action(utter nonsense IMO),make me laugh,too."Lemme see,I'll sacrifice some velocity and powder capacity so I don't have to pull the bolt back 3/8" more...." That's true objectivity!.....

And the one that cracks me up the most often is the one that goes..."My cartridge burns less powder than the X cartridge that has larger case capacity,and goes just as fast because it has this "new" shape...so the bigger cartridge is overrated"(Of course we'll just leave pressures out of the discussion, right?).......Likewise saying a 270WSM is faster than a 270 Winchester,and as fast as a 270 Weatherby,so they are both overrated".....this is more irrational justification and the first statement is true (duh...the WSM holds more powder than the 270 Winchester. Of course it's faster);likewise the Weatherby is faster than the WSM for the same reason.Anyone who thinks otherwise just ain't being logical,or more likely,has not loaded for all three..... confused

But then,the subject of rifles and cartridges is like politics and religion....logic never had a great deal to do with any of them.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/13/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Overrated is in the mind of the writer.
The mere thought of using a 300 Win Mag, or a 338 Win Mag for northern Michigan white tails is beyond terrifying.
My .02 cents.. grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Me,too.
OTOH, where a guy hunts whitetails in Alberta or NW Montana,where elk are also on the menu,the 338 or 300 suddenly become a pretty good idea wink

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Grab a cup of coffee, check out the Fire real quick and there ya go, Bob has spoken again, Good stuff Bob, ya really bring some solid ground to the Fire. Layin some Lore out there from experience

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dakota:Thanks, but many here know a lot more than me.....

Every generation has to have their own cartridges,rifles etc,their favorites.But it's pretty hard to call a cartridge "overrated" when you're standing over a dead elk you just shot with it..... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think what is over rated is velocity and energy.

What is under rated is Shot Placement and bullet construction/terminal performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What we need next is "overrated cartridges and bullet failure with said cartridge".

Start with "I notice the bullet had failed while I was field dressing"....

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I always LOVE these threads that extend to page 4. By then the [bleep] is really flyin'.. grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
65BR said it best in the least words.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,450
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.