Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
My uncle is offering to sell me a Winchester model 70 stainless 375 H&H it has what he described as a custom maple stock, he traded the original synthetic stock in on this stock. So I guess this gun came with a synthetic stock, open sights, and he described it as the same style feed as pre 64 action. The gun has some sort of quick release mounts (I beleive talley's) and a 2.2x9 Swarovski. I have never heard of this power of scope. Did Swaro ever make one? He will include 8-10 boxes of ammo. Obviously I have not seen the gun, but my cousin is bringing it to me next week. He bought this gun new about 13 years ago for an African Cape Buffalo trip and has not used it since. Now my uncle is well healed, wealthy ehat ever you want to call it, but he has no idea what the gun is worth now. He was going to have cabelas appraise it. I worry they will value it way to high and I will not be able to afford it. So I wanted your guys opinion on the value. I know a fair amount about guns, but have never been interested in winchesters. So please help me out.

Thanks so guys.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anywhere from $700 to $1200 for LNIB. Have no idea about the scope. Much depends on the Maple stock thats on it.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Accumark_Man
..........He was going to have cabelas appraise it. I worry they will value it way to high and I will not be able to afford it. So I wanted your guys opinion on the value. I know a fair amount about guns, but have never been interested in winchesters. So please help me out.

Thanks so guys.

After/if he has them appraise it, he should ask them what they will give him for it....it may put things in a different light.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TomM1
Anywhere from $700 to $1200 for LNIB. Have no idea about the scope. Much depends on the Maple stock thats on it.
Exactly..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably be worth more with the original stock on it. A custom stock can really lower the value in some cases, especially when it comes to Winchesters.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

After/if he has them appraise it, he should ask them what they will give him for it....it may put things in a different light.

exactly.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would agree, there is going to be a huge difference these days in the appraised value of a used custom rifle (for insurance purposes) and what it is actually worth in the market in a year like this. The appraisal is worth nothing unless they also provide a written quote to buy it.

And the "custom" maple stock-- was it done by Joe the gunsmith in his garage or by Len Brownell?

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You are buying a barrelled action with a nice used scope, assuming the metal has not been cobbled up.

The only long shot is as some have already mentioned, that it was stocked by a top drawer 'smith (unlikely, given that it's maple, but possible). Even so, these are depressed on the market of late, and the maple factor will drive it down further.

Be careful at some of the prices you've seen suggested here - I think $750 is pretty high, again depending upon the usability of the stock. The stainless part doesn't help it either (nobody will want the barrelled action for a high dollar custom job).

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by TomM1
Exactly..

Insurance quotes and what they would give him for it will be in two different hemispheres. The second will be closer to the actual worth IMO. For a Barreled action I'd say between $600 and $700.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 30 invisible), 13,989 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,110
Posts18,542,069
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.