Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Cheesy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody got any good dill pickle recipes/procedures? All the homemade dill pickles I've ever had were always mushy, not crisp like the Vlassic's you buy at the store. Those Kosher Dill's that they keep in the refrigerated case is what I'm aiming for.

Mom always made lime pickles, soak the sliced cucumbers with powdered lime and sugar in a 5 gallon crock for several days, turned out a decent sweet pickle, but I'm not a fan of sweet pickles, even when they are decent. smile

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The absolute best dill pickles I've ever had were made from a recipe by Larry Abel in Chesman's Pickles & Relishes. These are naturally fermented and take a quite bit of effort, but are worth it. I got Pickles & Relishes from Sausagemaker.com - well worth the $10 if you like pickles.

Last edited by DARBY; 07/10/09.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Pickling is a long-time favorite in my family. While cucumbers are the most
popular pickled product, many other vegetables and fruits can be successfully pickled
at home.We also like pickled green tomatoes. You can make safe, high quality pickles if you remember to use high quality
ingredients.

There are two general types of pickles: fermented pickles, sometimes called crock pickles, and fresh-pack
quick-process pickles. Cucumbers can be fermented in a crock to produce genuine dill pickles. Fermenting
genuine dill pickles takes 3 to 4 weeks at 70�F.

The fermentation process allows bacteria to produce lactic
acid, which preserves the cucumbers and produces the characteristic color and texture of genuine dills.

Fresh pack
or quick process pickles are quick and easy to prepare. Vegetables or fruits are packed in jars, covered with a
hot vinegar solution and immediately heat processed.
Regardless of the type of pickle that you choose to make, always start with high quality ingredients. Discard
bruised, moldy or insect-damaged produce. If you are making cucumber pickles, use varieties that are
designed for pickling.

Wax-coated cucumbers bought from supermarkets or eating varieties sold at farm
markets are not suitable for making high quality pickles. For best quality, pickle fruits or vegetables within 24
hours of harvest, or refrigerate for no more than a few days.

Remove all blossoms from cucumbers and cut a
1/16-inch slice from the blossom end. The blossoms contain enzymes that can cause softening of the final
product.

Other ingredients that are important in preparing safe, high quality pickles are water, salt, and vinegar . Softened water is recommended for pickling to avoid the off-color or off-flavors that result from
using hard water.
Use commercial vinegar of five percent acidity, either white or cider vinegar as directed in the
recipe. Do not use homemade vinegar

Salt is
very important for pickle quality. Canning and pickling salt�pure granulated salt�is recommended for all kinds
of pickles. This salt is pure, without anticaking agents that will cloud the pickling solution and leave sediment
on the bottom of the jar. Never alter salt concentrations when making fermented pickles, as an unsafe or
spoiled product may result. In addition to these main ingredients, sugar, spices, garlic and dill may be added to
give special flavor and zest to pickle recipes.
You may remember your family soaking cucumbers in lime or alum before pickling. This is no longer
recommended and, indeed, it isn�t necessary if you use freshly picked cucumbers,and a up to date recipe.
Your pickles will turn out crisp and you won�t
need to add firming agents. For a quick and easy way to help ensure crisp pickles: soak cucumbers in ice
water for 4 to 5 hours before pickling.

Homemade Pickle Recipe
Quick-pack dill pickles
8 pounds pickling cucumbers, 3 to 5 inches long
2 gallons water
3/4 cups canning and pickling salt
Pickling solution:
1-1/2 quarts vinegar (5% acetic acid)
1/2 cup canning and pickling salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 quarts water
2 tbsp whole mixed pickling spice
3-4 tbsp whole mustard seed (1 tsp per pint jar)
10-12 fresh dill heads, washed (1-1/2 heads per pint jar), or 1 tbsp dill seed or dill weed per pint jar
1 or 2 garlic cloves per jar, peeled (optional)
1. Wash cucumbers carefully. Cut 1/16-inch slice off blossom end and discard, but leave 1/4-
inch stem attached.
2. Prepare brine by dissolving 3/4 cups salt in 2 gallons water. Pour over cucumbers, cover and
let stand 12 hours. Drain.
3. Prepare pickling solution of vinegar, 1/2 cup salt, sugar and 2 quarts water in a large
saucepan. Add mixed pickling spices tied in a clean cheesecloth bag. Heat to boiling.
Remove the spice bag.
4. Pack cucumbers into clean, hot pint or quart jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space. If desired, add
1 teaspoon mustard seed, 1-1/2 fresh dill heads and 1 or 2 garlic cloves per jar. Cover
cucumbers with hot pickling solution, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Remove bubbles with a
rubber spatula. Wipe jar rims clean with a damp cloth.
5. Cap jars with pretreated lids. Adjust lids and process.
6. Process jars in a boiling water canner: 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts.
This isn't the exact recipe from my grandmothers cookbook but its very close.
Any recipe will do as long as you don't buy store bought cucumbers.The key to good pickles is using cucumbers that were grown for pickles and soaking them in cold water.

My dad likes the ones that you can let sit in the frig.

FRIGERATOR CUCUMBER PICKLES

7 med. unpeeled cucumbers thinly sliced
1 tbsp. pickling salt
2 med. onions thinly sliced
1 c. chopped green pepper
2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. celery seed
1 tbsp. mustard seed
2 c. vinegar or more to your taste.

In large bowl, mix cucumbers and salt; let stand 1/2 hour. Drain well and stir in onions and green pepper. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour syrup over cucumber mixture; mix well. Store in covered container glass container or pack in quart jars, refrigerate several hours or up to 3 months. Makes about 3 quarts. I sometimes add cauliflower,carrots,or hot peppers,to the mixture for variety.You don't cook this.There are lots of ways to prepare the no cook pickles.

God made some men big and some men small,but Sam Colt evened things up.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're going to hate to hear this after those long recipes, but I buy pickles, eat them, slice cucumbers and put them back in the jars, and stick them in the refrigerator. It works, and you can eat pickles for a couple more weeks after you empty the jar. My Brother buys cucumbers and goes to Star bottling company and buys pickle brine and does a bunch at a time. If you have a bottling company nearby, you can probably buy brine. I just refill pickle jars and put them in the refrigerator.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And don't hesitate to do the same thing with Okra Rob! I also add a dash of tabsco and stir it up good.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pickled Okra! Love it Pugs. We put it up every year.

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i've got a crock full thats been in the brine for about 1 week so far. It really is the easiest way to get real deli style dill pickles and extremely easy to do. hardest part is finding pickling cucumbers.

take a look here for crocks and recipes www.leeners.com neat website they have set up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tim M,
Thanx for the www.Leeners.com link, I've been wanting a new crock to make some sauerkraut in...

Mark

NRA Life Member

Why be politically correct, when you can be right!!!
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Never heard of using the commercial in the bottle stuff to make them or brine. That is a great idea.

Have a recipe somewhere for making dill pickles, called them driveway pickles, mixed them up, added everything, sealed them and put the jar in the sun for a day or two. Real good. Will try to find it.

There is also a difference in cucumbers, pickling cucumbers are different in size and flavor.....

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
When mother used to make pickles she would send one of us over the the neighbor to get some grape leaves to throw in the bottles right before she processed them. Mother and grandmothers swore by a grape leaf in each bottle to crisp them up. Will try to find her recipe from by sis as mother is now in assisted living.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
IC B3

M
M
This isn't classic dill, but it's easy. Slice the cukes, and toss equal amounts of sugar and apple cider vinegar into a quart jar--about 2 cups each. Once the sugar dissolves, add the cuke slices, cover tightly, and leave in the fridge for 3-5 days. We've added jalapeno or serano pepper, sometimes a whole sweet onion (sliced), sometimes a tablespoon of whole mustard seed.
It's so easy, but we've only gotten 3 cukes this year in the garden.
mizwhitetail

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,761
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.