T
Nice bucks Ron.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow!!! This thread is over 200,000 views.It is some kinda record.
It has a life of it's own.Dave,now you know how Dr. Frankenstein felt,eh?
Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by northern_dave
well if you can swing a scouting trip in the next few weeks you can sample some of the fresh wild chickenbuck variety.

grin

hmmm....prolly won't be able to do it until the end of Sept, or 2nd weekend in Oct.

OK, just remember, half the chickenbuck tribe is heading to Colorado for early rifle season on wapiti. We'll probably be gone from about oct 7 through oct 15

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
holy crap Ron I see that, over 200k views.

wow.

hey I'm gonna post up a couple of those pics from your album, hope you don't mind.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

very impressive!!!

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good pictures Ray, thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to give it a try someday.

Picked 2 qts of nice sweet blackberries. Sure are good on cereal. Have to pick up some ice cream today.

Heading back to Wisconsin on the 15th.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
this aint very nice of me but....

[Linked Image]

you know what that is right?

[Linked Image]

nothing like it, home made blueberry pie with those little wild berries.. wow.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's some fine eaten Dave. Trying to talk the Mrs into making me a blackberry pie. Lots of blueberries out here too, but the ones we've had so far are a bit on the tart side.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Stan, started looking for rifles for the grandson today. A bit early as he's only 4, but we hope to have him shooting a center fire by the time he's 6.

Checked out the Savage youth model, Ruger Frontier, and Rem model 7 so far.

Is there a youth version of the Handi Rifle?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Griz,All stocks on Handi rifles interchange.You can put on a youth stock now and a full length stock when he gets bigger.
I personally have a model Seven in .308 and if I remember correctly there were youth stocks available for the Model Seven.
I recommend the Handi rifle for a youngster but I would say to stay away from the .243 as they are problematic.Likewise I do not recommend the Rossi "Trifecta" model which has three barrels,.243,.22 and 20 gauge.The .243 is not accurate.I bought one and sold it really quick after shooting it.
The 30-30 in the Handi rifle is good.That is what I bought for one of my grandsons.NEF is offering combos of .357 rifle and 20 gauge or .44 magnum and 12 gauge.The .357/20 would be great.
I like single shots as you may well have guessed by now.I have a Rossi .44 magnum and 2 Handi rifles in 45/70 and I hunt with them regularly.Don't get him an expensive rifle too early.Let him grow into what HE wants and not what grand dad wants him to have.
I hope I do not sound too opinionated.

Stan in SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 08/08/09.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone
well if you can swing a scouting trip in the next few weeks you can sample some of the fresh wild chickenbuck variety.

grin

hmmm....prolly won't be able to do it until the end of Sept, or 2nd weekend in Oct.

OK, just remember, half the chickenbuck tribe is heading to Colorado for early rifle season on wapiti. We'll probably be gone from about oct 7 through oct 15

How about the end of september? 26th or something like that. would that work?

Last edited by tzone; 08/08/09.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I don't mind at all, Dave. When you have time how about dropping me a PM with directions for posting images directly into a post. I haven't been able to figure it out.

Here's a bit more info on the bucks Pat and I killed last year. Pat's deer weighed 175lbs on my spring scale. My deer weighed 145. Those are field-dressed weights. I checked the teeth on both deer. If I did it correctly, Pat's was 3 1/2 and mine was 2 1/2. We took them on the evening of October 4-mine @ 6pm and Pat's @ 6:15. There were several bucks, including these 2, sparring in an overgrown field from about 3pm until just before they walked into the woods. We could hear the grunts and the antlers banging together all that time, although only Pat could see any of them.
We were in opposite corners on the field, but inside the woods a bit. The area is a staging area for deer heading down the ravine to the farm fields each evening. The 10pt came down the west trail and the 6 came down the east trail.
It all sounds so easy, but as any hunter knows, things go wrong more often than not. That day, the gods smiled on us. That day is one of the best experiences I've ever had in 48 years of hunting and it's not because I killed a deer. It's because my son was there and we experienced it all together!
I don't want to sound like I'm bragging. That isn't my intent. I just thought you might enjoy the pictures and appreciate how special that day was for me as a father.

Now Dave, about that blueberry pie. It is pretty cruel of you to post pictures of that pie when none is available to the rest of us. I picked up a pint of blueberries and a half gallon of vanilla ice cream today, but now I need 2 more pints to bake a pie! You're killing me here, ND! cry

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Ron, hard to guess by pics but I figured those 2 bucks 150 & 180 based off the forward mass in the shoulder/neck area. guess i'm getting better at that sort of thing grin

PS, I ate the rest of that pie tonight. Damn that was good!! grin

Tzone, I think that might work.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Stan thanks for the info. I like the handi rifle idea as they are not expensive and the grandson can grow with it. I was leaning toward the 223, but 30-30 would work also.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
we saw a break in the clouds today so we ran out to camp to check the trail cam & shoot a few rifles.

I had this M77 264WM that I really wanted to get an honest answer out of as far as accuracy.

We had decent shooting conditions even though my bench is just a wobbly old wooden phone cable spool. grin

Here are some pics of our afternoon.

I added a 1" black leather montana sling to the rifle.

[Linked Image]

view through the lookin tube..

[Linked Image]

I guess I was shooting for an inch high at a hundred. this was my 3 shot group.

[Linked Image]

i'm thinkin it's safe to call it a 3/4" group. I'm happy with that. 140 gr winchester powerpoint fact loads.

next it was runswithscissors turn on the bench. He's shooting some 165 gr rem green box fact loads, his first time shooting a full powder load, he's been shooting reduced recoil up until now. He will be carrying this rifle in Colorado with us in a couple of months looking to put a big colorado rubber nosed cow on the ground.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He did fine, 3 round group smaller than his fist at 100 yds. that'll work!!

Last edited by northern_dave; 08/09/09.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
next up we had a little guy that wanted to shoot the trainer, the rifle I bought some years ago to teach his older brother & sister to shoot.

[Linked Image]

here we are sighting in the mighty marlin model 15YS.

[Linked Image]

beautiful box of golden goodness..

[Linked Image]

the target, a chickenbuck.

[Linked Image]

range has gone live, lord have mercy on the chickenbuck!!

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

beautiful box of golden goodness..

[Linked Image]

that and a puppy will bring many smiles to a young boys face. is that his firs live fire?

BTW, I hope all you guys do well in CO, but I REALLY hope RWS scores....go boy go. grin Show yer dad how it's done, and make us all smile like heck.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
not exactly the shot we were looking for....

[Linked Image]

we kept at it.

[Linked Image]

as you can see here, the chickenbuck is riddled with holes, we're moving closer to the sweet spot... we'll keep working at it grin

[Linked Image]

next up, runswith scissors

[Linked Image]

he um, didn't exactly show up his little brother shocked grin

so, Mom had to give a try...

[Linked Image]

She shot chickenbuck's jaw off shocked

[Linked Image]

enough is enough...

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/100_1338.jpg[/img]

Well ok I didn't exactly drill the bullseye... but we were pretty happy to finally put one through the boiler room. grin

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/100_1339.jpg[/img]

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
so is that a flying bear on PWM's shirt?

looks serious. grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
i will show my dad how its done grin

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08/10/09.

Hold my mountain dew & watch this.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'd like to see that bud. grin

We might have to break out a few of the little rifles when I get home, put your yellowboy 9422M against my standard 9422M.

I might have just handicapped myself shocked I can't remember if I have a scope on my 9422M at the moment but I know the boy has one on his grin

Something clever here.

Page 209 of 1,842 1 2 207 208 209 210 211 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.