Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love shooting with some of my friends in their 30's who also hunt because these guys always bring a diverse lineup of cartridges rifles, and gear.I am sort of humbled by it all....

Today I got to watch the chronograph sing to the tune of a 300RUM,300 Lazzaronni War Bird,375 RUM,and the Lazzaronni 10.75 Meteor, or some such....the 416 one.Some of these things go faster than the varmint rifles I've used......

These are all decked out in S&B, Swaro's,and custom shop leupolds with mil dot reticles,turrets,bipods,etc.These guys shoot a LOT,and I mean they are at the range several times a week,and hunt pretty actively.They practice to hit at 500 and 600 the way I do at 300-400.

One of them commented today that all the gear is nice;but he shot his sheep last year at 200 yards.....

The Meteor was interesting....it cranked a 300 gr TSX at 2969 average.The concussion from it and the Warbird was equally impressive......I stood back of the bench and then further buffered myself by hiding behind the other two guys, who are much younger.....

The Warbird did 3460 or so with a 168TSX; the RUM did 3270 with the same bullet.I was running 165 Nosler Partitions from a 300 Win Mag at over 3200 or so 25 years ago, so I expect he was not pushing that RUM really hard.

My shooting session was much less inspirational. I was decked out with an FN M70 FW 270 with a 4X Conquest,and was only interested in whether it held POI at 300 yards from a tight, looped-in sling......it did.When they asked was I gonna hunt the rifle this year I said yes, I think so.....they nodded politely. smile

I headed out when one friend wrestled a 50 caliber rifle out of the truck and hauled it to the 300 yard line......whew!!!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man has to know his limitations......................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd hunt with that 270 as well!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I vote for the 270 also. Not sure what a 600 yard clearing looks like in KY.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Bob,
Is the Warbird Lazzaronni's long action or the short. At 3460 I'm thinking it must be the long action.....Man that's 257 Roy territory.
Do you know what case it's based on? Guess I'm going to read up on Lazzaronni's.

Greg

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bobin.......Some of your friends are velocity freakazoids, along with no doubt, having personal attention getting egos to satisfy while on the range.

Imo, the most pertinent or telling statement in your post was;;;; "One of them commented today that all the gear is nice; but he shot his sheep last year at 200 yards."...... I wonder which Lazzaroni or RUM he was using when he nailed his sheep at "ONLY" 200 yards??? Did you tell him he was under-powered?? LOL!!!

I wonder how many of the others there could have also said the same things about their hunts.

Reminds me of a friend who mounted a 4-16x50 scope on his 338, to then kill his elk at only 40 yards, followed by another elk at 169 yards the following year! I told him that his 4x16 was perfect for his 338, when I was thinking the exact opposite.

VS those rifles your buds had, I`d take your lowly and meager 270 along with that meager 4x Zeiss on any non dangerous game hunt, and be just as successful as they could be using their Lazzees and RUMs.

Do they drive Bentleys too by chance??....LOL!!!!!

Oh James! Could you put my Lazzaroni in the Bentley!...LOL! LOL!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Gotta admit Bob, it was interesting, no?

Thinking in your wisdom "practical" always bears fruit in the field....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good article by Boddington on Lazzeroni rifles in latest issue of Rifle Shooter.

IMHO, basically Weatherby magnums on steroids.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You must feel small!
I felt the same way when I was told that a Whelen was not flat enough for elk. I needed a 7 mag or a 300 mag for those long shots.
When I asked how far his last elk was I was told "ABOUT 70 YARDS" and the guy was serious abnout me being the dumb one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, were these heavy rifles?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That would be a fun bunch to shoot but at end of day I would be going with the Winchester, as a matter of fact I think I will grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Bobin.......Some of your friends are velocity freakazoids, along with no doubt, having personal attention getting egos to satisfy while on the range.

Some of that going around for sure.

A few years ago I was at the gym when I heard a couple of young guys talking about the upcoming season. Since hunting is my thing, I tried to join the conversation. Anyway, one kid (somewhere in the 20's) says to the other, that he had just bought a new .300 RUM and was planning to hunt deer with it. Now, I live in Georgia where a big whitetail is 150-180 lbs and a long shot could possibly be encountered on a powerline or cutover, but most deer are taken at "woods" ranges.

I sort of jokingly asked the guy why in the world he would want to hunt with that rifle given the situation and he said, "My buddy has a 7mm RUM and I got tired of hearing him brag about it"!

That statement enlightened me a great deal about some guys choice of weapons.

Later on, I saw a guy bringing a deer into a processor that looked like a bowling ball had been shot through its shoulders. The processor asked the guy "what in the hell did you shoot this thing with"? He proudly replied "a three hunnert winchester mag"! The shot had hit bone going in and the high velocity of the bullet plus the bone fragments made for one heck of a sight. Being a bit of a gun nut, I had to ask the guy what bullet he used. "165 grain ballistic tip" was the answer. How far was the shot I asked. "About 50 yards". "Wow", was my sort of involuntary response. "Yep" he said, "Never had to track one since I stepped up to the big three hunnert". The deer was a doe whitetail that probably weighted 95 lbs on the hoof. He asked me what I was hunting with and I responded "a .308". "Good gun, but you know, you really ought to step up the big three hunnert or at least the big seven....you'll love it"!

I'm thinking to myself that this guy is a moron. Then I remembered the first guy with the .300 RUM, and realized that as Thoreau might say, its not deer that they are after but something else.

Last edited by RJY66; 08/14/09.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys:The Lazz 30 cal is the Warbird, the long one.The cae sorta looks like an RUM but is slightly fatter.I have been told Lazz created these cartridges so they could not be formed from anything else.

And yes the Lazz rifles were a bit long and heavy for my taste,but the owner could certainly shoot with them and even his 300 yard groups were very impressive.Even with that 416,which could easily be used as a LR elk rifle.

These are two really good guys and a lot of fun; they spend a lot of money to hunt,and their approach is very straight-forward; they want the flattest-shooting,hardest hitting stuff out there.The equipment is thoroughly modern,very 21st Century,and they work hard at learning to use it.I have watched them shoot,and shot with them,and they take the time to learn the equipment.

I shot 500 yards with one of them the other day,using my 7mmDakota and 6X Leupold.He had the 300RUM with custom Leup scope,turrets,etc.We got down to the target butts and our groups were similar in size,in about the same place.Any of our shots was a dead "anything".He looked at my target and asked..."How'd ya do that?",meaning no dots or turrets....so I told him and he said, "Yeah, I used to do it that way"..... grin

Squeeze, you'll be happy to know he used a 300WSM on the sheep wink

The other rifle I had was a mousy-looking pre 64 FW 270 with the old 4X Leupold 28mm. I had not fired it in awhile,and just got a new extractor for it,so wanted to run it.Compared to the stuff my buds had, it looked like an antique muzzleloader.But it still put the first 3 on target at 300 yards......they laugh and go absolutely apoplectic when I announce I'd hunt elk with it......they look at me like I'm a museum piece!Maybe they're right! laugh

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/14/09.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bob,

I'm thinking you out shot your buds? Tell me you shot the .50 before you left....

CLB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of chest hair blow drying among that crew grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hawk: Oh yeah it's always interesting! I like rifles, no matter what type,even if they are not exactly my style doesn't mean they aren't interesting to me smile

Jeff, yes the Warbird is more than I would care to lug in roughcountry.The RUM had a Brux barrel,about a #3 contour,and Brown Precision stock on a Remington action.It is the one I'd grab.

Funny thing was....the last 300 Weatherby factory ammo I chronographed was the Weatherby 165 BT at 3413 from its' 26" barrel......it is still pretty hard to beat a 300 Weatherby wink

CLB: I sorta stayed neck to neck to 500 yards, but their gear would leave me in the dust at 600 smile

The Lazz rifles were very nicely made.The 416 was,of necessity, on the heavy side,but I was impressed atthe owners ability to shoot the thing. I don't think he would have done as well without the brake.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd take a 270 over the rest you mentioned.

Like you, I would enjoy watching someone else pay for and shoot the others though.

JM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sounds like a fun range session....overkill or not

100% Public land DIY!
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
CLB: I did not shoot the 50.I went to the butts to pull targets and the 50 whistled over my head grin

Matt shot the 50 and said he could feel the air percussion in his sinuses.....there are some types of "fun" I can do without laugh

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I'd take a 270 over the rest you mentioned.

JM: Ditto!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 257man, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,266
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.