Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A long time ago I knew a guy that used to place chunks of his antelope (about small fist size) into a mixture and let that set for a week in the fridge. Then he would smoke/cure/dry that meat out somewhat. And just tasting it would make you have a come hither moment. Stunning.
All I can remember was the whole cloves of garlic, onion chunks, maybe some sort of water/vinegar mixture with different spices...so has anyone ever heard of something like this. The end result was a 'tender' somewhat dried out small chunk of smoked meat, that didn't even taste like...antelope.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trying to figure out what somebody else used in their marinade is just down right next to impossible.

I only keep two that I use most of all. It is just a matter of personal taste after all.

The simple one i the Wild Turkey recipe. Make darn sure you are careful with the onion, or it will end up tasting like onion.

I have learned over the years that a soaking in marinade for more than 48 hours is a waste of time, if you can't get it done in 48 hours, it not doing the job anyway.

Do not use aluminum foil to cover the container. Because you will get pin holes in the foil that way. Give a google attempt for marinades. You will have more information this way than you have ever seen in your life.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Must be a damn good marinate recipe to get a hunk of pronghorn to not taste like pronghorn.
Maybe a corn beef recipe might work, you have to let them sit in the frig 3-5 days before smoking.

God made some men big and some men small,but Sam Colt evened things up.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you have bad tasting antelope...you simply did not take care of it properly.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
If you have bad tasting antelope...you simply did not take care of it properly.

Nope, never even shot one before. Here's Your (presumptive) Sign! One hide quarter was serve to me out of a crock pot, and I have never taste schitt before, but it's what I always dreamed (in nightmares) what it might taste like.

The other 'goat' was stunning fantastic.
You maybe correct that proper preparation, endures. Each animal was killed by different people, and each prepared it differentally. I just was wondering about a marinate...that is all. Kind of like if I ever got an NM goat tag...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was referring to the post just above mine, no need to be sarcastic, so here is your "(presumptive) Sign" back. I should have used the quote option to make that clear. Antelope is one critter that you need to take extra special care of while cleaning and skinning. Some people simply do not like the taste. I prefer antelope to mule deer. A friend of mine used to cure the backstrap like a ham and then lightly smoke it. Very good stuff. I keep the backstrap and tenderloins to eat and make jerky out of the rest. IHMO it makes the best jerky of any game meat I have tried.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BTW if you like Tabasco Chipotle Sauce marinate any game meat in it and make kabobs with it. I just happen to like the taste of it even on beef.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've lucked out on my speed goat. Dressed & cooled quickly, and it turned out great. Chunked some of the tenderloins into chili meat (excellent btw) and bbq'd backstrap wrapped in bacon (seasoned with salt, pepper & garlic powder). Better than filet mignon--no joke.

Murphy was a grunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,149
Posts18,502,810
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.