-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've never been around one at the range. When pulling down the lever to unload is:

1. spent shell ejected or must it removed manually;
2. if ejected, where? To the right, left, straight back?

Thanks.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It has an ejecter,however it has a spring that can be taken out and it acts as an extracter.The case comes straight back.Hope this helps. Huntz smile

Last edited by Huntz; 08/15/09.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, you can adjust the tension on the screw which activates the extractor. That allows it to snap with as much or as little force as you prefer, little even including none. Empty cases often strike the forward flange of the safety, however, so even cases kicked out with considerable force are often left in the groove. As with anything the #1 requires some learning and practice for practical field use. Often this includes a quick tip to the side to clear a case that has been stopped by the safety.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Actually, you can adjust the tension on the screw which activates the extractor. That allows it to snap with as much or as little force as you prefer, little even including none. Empty cases often strike the forward flange of the safety, however, so even cases kicked out with considerable force are often left in the groove. As with anything the #1 requires some learning and practice for practical field use. Often this includes a quick tip to the side to clear a case that has been stopped by the safety.

Absolutely correct. Sometimes the case when elected will strike the safety and bounce back into the trough and sometimes even back into the chamber. Not much of a big deal while at the range other than some slight aggravation. However, one a hunt it is a real problem should a quick second shot become necessary in order to prevent a wounded animal from getting away. The easiest solution is to tilt the rifle to the right as you operation the lever to extract the fired round. With a little practice, it becomes second nature.
One can practice rapid reloads using a couple of dummy cartridges. It doesn't take too awfully long to get your speed up with a little daily practice.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The guys above are correct about the safety/ejector conflict. A reason that some serious #1 rifle loonies have a flush safety machined into the tang....absolutely drool worthy grin

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I never did understand why the folks at Ruger set up the safety they way they did. If they put an ejector on the rifle then they should have it eject without hitting anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Notropis
I never did understand why the folks at Ruger set up the safety they way they did. If they put an ejector on the rifle then they should have it eject without hitting anything.
Not every No. 1's safety interferes with the ejection port.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Since some don't interfere, why not make them so all don't interfere? I just don't get it. I do realize that some single shots have a device you can set either to eject the case cleanly or have it hit a stop, but there is no similar adjustment on my #1.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since some don't interfere, why not make them so all don't interfere? I just don't get it.
Don't know and don't care. It's not much of an issue to me and apparently in the 42 years that the No. 1 has been in production, it hasn't been much of an issue period.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, I didn't realize this was such a big deal.

I set the ejector spring on my No. 1's depending on what I want from the the rifle. On my .22 Hornet, for instance, I set it so that the case comes out just hard enough to hit stay in the trough in front of the safety, so that I don't have to go chasing around in the prickly pear for cases when shooting prairie dogs.

With other rounds I may set it to just extract, or set it really high and file down the top of the safety a little to allow the case to zing free. Or maybe just tilt the rifle a little while ejecting the case, as Klik described.

Since I have hunted a lot with single-shot rifles, however, that even an extractor-only SS can be shot pretty damn fast with some practice and motivation!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have not missed game with my #1 because of the safety in the 29 years I have hunted with it, so I suppose it is not a really big deal, but I have always been curious why they designed it that way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not missed game with my #1 because of the safety in the 29 years I have hunted with it, so I suppose it is not a really big deal, but I have always been curious why they designed it that way.
I figure mine aren't used for DGR purposes, so I'm not going to worry. If it was an issue, I'd either get Ruger to correct it for me or take the Milli Vanilli route and let one of the talented No. 1 gunsmiths take a crack at it. (Check out the recessed safety button on the 9.3x74R in the Single Shots section.) Even so, my 1A in 7x57 completely clears the safety button and the ejector is set to launch well into the next county.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My 1A in 7/57 does not. I wonder why they are different?

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
As a reloader, I like having the brass at my fingertips instead of flying who knows where. The safety is easily modified if a person wants brass to fly clear. I adjusted the tension of the ejector spring to kick the brass lightly against the safety for easy pick up.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have thirty one of #1s. The .375 H&H and the .405 Winchester are the only ones -- longer cases with wider mouths ?-- that hang up on the safety nob. With them, I do a quick flip to the right, and reload with almost no hitch.

1B

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1234, 1badf350, 30incher, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.