Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HoundGirl
I took my little cousin Nate, when he was staying with us...after Shade died of the OD. He looooved it. Also took him out to shoot the .22lr. He loved all of it. I posted the pics a couple years back.

He's a country kid stuck in the the body and bounds of an inner city kid. Chances are grand he'd prefer it over the life he's been dealt. A life riddled with horrible circumstances and addiction.

Wish I could rescue him. It never leaves my mind/thoughts.

If he makes it out, like I did, he'll find all of this.....and make his own ventures, I have zero doubt.

He is a great kid, and the fact I was able to share all of this with him was nothing short of grand.

Nothing like watching a kid with heavy eyes, leave it all behind...even if it's just for a fleeting moment in his life.

Good on you for taking him to the outdoors.

I like to believe they are all "country kids" if you can catch them before they are ruined.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Riley has taken to spey casting, which is not something I have done yet... Tried it a tiny bit and failed so far. Having that hanging over me does not bum Riley out. wink

He did catch more silver salmon today than I did on flies and I think he considers that a major victory. Many here have fished salmon with me and likely understand what that means. It is a contest I have wanted to lose for a long time...

While many skills can be carried over to and from fly casting, most of Riley's fishing has been done with flies. Very little was ever done with hardware and much less with bait...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have and still do. My 10 year olds have been casting since they were 5 (both fly and spin) and becoming acomplished at both.I guess you missed this thread ...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...me_random_pics_of_a_recent_f#Post3065020

Garrett and I will be heading out for his first backpack / fly fish trip labor day week end. They have both been camping and fly fishing and fishing with the hard ware as well for a while. Now we are taking to the next step.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been awhile, but my youngest son could handle the long rod pretty well at age 8. Was invited to do demo tying the same year, at a well-known retailer. Think the trick was, we lived close to warmwater stuff at the time- bass/bluegill that were
pretty much unsophisticated made success easy. Also, a kid doesn't need a shorter flyrod than a grownup, but a longer one, for casting success.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
one of my elk hunting partners came thru here a few weeks ago, while taking his wife and daughter on vacation. they wanted to go fly fishing. so the wife and i took em out for a day on the san juan.
they had a great day, all caught fish.
they found it mind boggling, that big fish ate such small bugs. (size 22/24 midge patterns!)

here's his daughter with her 1st fly caught trout.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott;
Hopefully this finds you well.

I tried to get our girls to try fly fishing and while one is somewhat interested, so far it appears they�d rather not fish that way.

I believe that most kids with average hand/eye coordination would be able to master it by the time they are 6-8, but they�d have to want to spend the time to do it.

As has been pointed out to me several times in life, if I can do it, then �it� can�t be all that tough to do, you know? wink

Have a grand weekend Scott.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And/or have thought about it?

Seen lots of great fishing pics with folks kids but don't recall one with the kid whipping around a fly rod (Riley don't count Art, he's TOO big)

Yep, my daughter is nine and began flyfishing this spring. She quickly picked it up and caught a few rainbows the first trip on a dry. She likes seeing the take. That the worm-dunkers nearby went fishless did not hurt her perception a bit!

Teaching a kid to flyfish makes going barbless a no-brainer....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My 8 year old boy can flyfish. He casts better than his mom for sure. He's caught a few on the fly but we haven't had a really good day yet.
Barbless is good--He is still a little shy of size 4 weighted wooly buggers! He didn't think my comment about him being too young for earrings was in good taste.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe I'm just too chicken to teach my grandkids to fly fish yet.

I still remember when I was six or eight and still learning to cast a fly. I'll never forget the time when I hooked my dad right in the nostril and gave a good yank before I realized where the hook was!! Talk about a bloody mess.!!! blush

One of the problems is that most of the places I go are so bushy and the creek so small in there -- I guess I probably should get those kids to someplace more open like a mountain pond or an open spot on a bigger creek or river and get them started next summer. I'm gonna stand way back though. wink

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our two kids learned before we went to Alaska a few years ago, so they could salmon fish with me. They caught a bunch of fish and enjoyed it, but really prefer slinging a live shrimp with a spinning rod and catching an icebox full of specks to all the hocus pocus of fly fishing.

Like their old man.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A big part of that I suppose is location... Here, fly fishing is often more effective than bait...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the opposite is usually true here, although flies are effective on redfish in shallow ponds if the water is clear. Of course, the deep sea boys catch all kinds of stuff on flies out at he rip line, but I rarely do that and when I do I don't use a fly rod.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yesterday I had a "weird" day. Riley and I took a friend and his new girlfriend fishing. I had zero idea who she was, but had no trouble recognizing "hot". Funny thing is she is a soap opera star and famous in lots of places. Folks kept staring at her everywhere we went and it could have been either "hot" or famous pulling the eyes.

Anyway, she insists she had never fished for anything, ever. Her first ten casts with a fly rod produced at least half that many humpies. I had her catch a bunch of humpies to get used to keeping her hands out of the line and doing whatever she could to keep from getting hurt. With silvers the real goal, after the practice.

Then the amazing stuff started happening... She suggested she needed to figure out how to remove her own hooks... Then she started unhooking MY fish for me! Amazed is not strong enough...

She caught silvers later and kept herself undamaged.

It rained like the proverbial cow versus the flat rock and it was chilly. The only thing close to a complaint was thanking me for firing up the heater in the rig while I was breaking down the rods because she admitted she was cold.

She allowed me to take photos but insisted they could not be posted or published... A real shame, that. Got home and checked the internet because I had no idea who she was and sure enough she is all over the soap opera stuff...

Amazing comment from her was how she found a long time ago that keeping her mouth shut, doing her work and never complaining made producers demand her...

Did I mention "hot"?
art

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As with any sport some are going to like it and some aren't. I was taught a love of fishing since I could walk. If you are patient teaching her about fishing she will most likely learn to love the sport but just remember not everyone loves everything. My sister wouldn't touch a fish or fishing implement of anykind if you held a gun to her head. Me..I loved fishing of any kind from the first time I was allowed to hold a rod.

I was also brought up in the school of you catch em you clean em. Since I've got my hubby into fishing now I've convinced him of we catch em, you clean em and I'll cook em. Most of the time it works. laugh But I don't mind any of the yucky stuff that goes with fishing like touching bait, etc. Just don't hand me a snake and we can get along fine when fishing.

Tom wasn't much into fishing when we got married but eventually he learned to like it (not as much as I do but he goes with me). I have to occasionally let him catch more than I do or he pouts.

I could go on for hours about women and fishing but I'm going to stop here. Just let her try it and praise her for what she does best at it and keep working with her and she will, most likely, develop into one [bleep] hot fishing lady.

PS. I only read part of this thread so if I missed the subject of the post as Roseann Rosannadanna used to say "Never Mind." laugh

Sassy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We tried fly fishing once, but the pilot was going too fast and the bait wouldn't stay in the water. We caught a bird and that was it.

I didn't see the first fly either.

I think we were doing something wrong.

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
James has been catching fish on flies since before he turned two.

Of course that was using a spin caster with a bubblegrin I'll get him on a fly rod when he expresses interest in using one. Figure that will be a couple more years.

Scott

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
I can teach anyone to fly fish so long as I'm not married to them......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The world is your oyster.

I can teach them to fly fish. Catching something while doing it is another matter.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,962
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.