Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3231751 08/16/09
FC363 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There is a like-new used one for sale in the classifieds.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the better out of the box DGR's, IMHO.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wonder why it's for sale... I had a customer come in with a CZ in .458 Lott that wouldn't feed shells into the chamber.. He was going to Africa, the papers were all done registering the rifle for the trip etc., then he finds out it won't feed reliably..

I took it apart, found nothing wrong with the mechanism.. However, his problems stems from the design of the breech.. It starts out as a cone-type, but then there's a 'step', or flat, of about 1/8" before entering the chamber.. The tips of the bullets (he had 3 different types to test) were jamming up against that step..

Only cure is a rebarrel (or setting back at least 2 threads and rechambering; then machining the breech with a M70 type cone to eliminate that step and allow shells to feed.. He was leaving in two days and I could not, in any way, get the barrel done by that time..

He wasn't happy at CZ.. Stated he'd never buy another..

I'm not saying that is any problem with this one on sale, but IIWY I'd ask about feeding issues and if you find there is when you get it if a refund is offered..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The CZ 375H&H I had fed slicker than snot. I ran 300 Hornady RN, and 260 Partitions through it. Great rifle, just HEAVY. If I bought another, it would be a hogback, as they tend to be lighter, and point more naturally to me. Just like any other rifle....Its a crapshoot.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I am not a CZ fan mostly because they are rather bulky and heavy, and I settled on the 98 Mauser and pre 64 Win. many moons ago, but I have never seen a CZ that wouldn't feed 100%, they are a real functional rifle, and they also shoot real good right out of the box..A lot of my clients use them so I have had quite a bit of experience with them...

Redneck,
Your diagnoses is a bit off center, the cone and the "ledge" is suppose to be there on a belted cartridge. the problem with your gun is the rails/feed ramp are not centering the cartridge for whatever reason, in effect, the timing is off...Send it to CZ and get them to fix it or take it to a good gunsmith and have him tweek it to feed..it won't take much..

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My CZ 9.3 refused to feed one variety of Northfork but they redesigned the bullet and it worked just fine. Ray is correct about the CZ.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm expecting my CZ back from Dennis Olson soon (Ray's recommendation) and I'll let the forum members know what happens. Dennis says the rifle is feeding perfectly.

As to their heaviness, I can say they are sure slim when properly restocked. AHR does a good job as well as simply having the factory stock reworked.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I had a similar probem with .458 premium bullets that just wouldn't feed in my new .458 lott. Very disappointing. Thing was, it was a Ruger, not a CZ. No problem with the rifle - it was a problem with that particular bullet design (since fixed by that manufacturer). Lots of other really good loads did work.

For all the things that don't work, there's usually a lot of good solutions that do.

Dan

FC363 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have fired this rifle exclusively with a full magazine to make sure the rounds would feed and to make sure the floorplate didnt open with recoil. The Hornady SP in 270 and 300gr had the nose battered by the third round. Didnt affect feeding or how they shot, just cosmetics. the bullet this rifle really likes, the Swift A-Frame, didnt have any deformation of the nose.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
FC363,
Bent noses goes hand and hand with big bore recoiling rifles..You can cure that by having a tin strip of metal properly soldered in your box so that the shoulder catches on it and the nose does not hit the front of the box..

BTW, bent or damaged noses on bullets have 0 effect on anything, including accuracy for some reason...

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Bclark, 6 invisible), 1,141 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,687
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.