-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just read the article, guess the elk are a little scarce.

http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/article_5ff01772-938f-11de-9aca-001cc4c03286.html

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boy,

I feel for that guy. What a damn mess, introducing those things back into the wild.

I'm not against wolves, but anyone in their right mind would know that re-introduction would lead to stock depredation. Wolves were killed out for a reason and this is why.

Bleeding heart Liberal Politician 1 says "Hey, Let's re-introduce them so they can ruin peoples lively hood and then we can shoot them...."

Bleeding heart Liberal Politician 2 says "Great Idea!"

They cause financial ruin with their assinine decisions. The people lose and so do the wolves, yet the azzhats who caused it go home every night and it's left to other folks to worry whether they will keep their ranch and home because of their idiocy.

Some folks are just flat out stupid, especially some in our government. feed stupid bioligist/politicians to the wolves since they love 'em so much. Turn them lose in their neighborhoods and see how much they like it.

How will these idiots feel when a person or a child is killed by these animals??

JM.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This month's "Bugle" magazine has several articles on wolves, including one written by a wildlife biologist from British Columbia who was raised to believe the dogma that wolves do not present a threat to humans. He cites several personal experiences that prove that that can, and do.

There's also an article that points out the need for wolves to remain wild, and to retain their fear of humans. Ironically the groups that continue to sue to prevent states from managing wolves are doing them more harm than good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the comments by the broad from defenders of wildlife are just scary stupid.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
the comments by the broad from defenders of wildlife are just scary stupid.

Yep but it's dam hard to fix stupid! Don't think short of death there's ever been a cure.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I know is that Wolf Tags go on sale Monday Morning here in town and I somehow know that the local paper will be there to take a few pics...

I do know that I can show you areas that they were "introduced" over a decade ago than NO LONGER have thriving herds of Mule Deer...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a tag in my pocket, and it's burning a hole...... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Dutch,
All you gotta do is bugle for an elk and a wolf will show up according to the Archers I have been talking to..Wolves are commong to elk bugles..

Wolves litter almost 2.5 times per year and each time they have form 4 to 8 pups..Elk and deer have one or twins of which one survives most of the time in the Pacific NW...Do the math on that one and tell me where the elk and deer have gone in Idaho, and why 120 sheep were killed..

Oh yeah, to the lovely lady that said wolves only kill what they eat, these sheep were played with and killed and about one was eaten on, duh!

I had to edit this post, the language toward the lovly lady was a bit rough.

Last edited by atkinson; 08/31/09.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by atkinson

I had to edit this post, the language toward the lovly lady was a bit rough.

Maybe that's how she likes it.... wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My neighbor lost two calfs to Wolves this spring.I saw the paw prints.When the DNR came to look ,the guy says Coyotes,no payment.Yeah right!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntz
My neighbor lost two calfs to Wolves this spring.I saw the paw prints.When the DNR came to look ,the guy says Coyotes,no payment.Yeah right!!!!

That's par for the course with the WDNR though.

Dealt with those morons twice. Not looking forward to ever having to again.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Where was the boy who looks after the sheep?...
If livestock producers are in areas where predators exist, they'll have to actively protect their livestock. Or they can expect the government to do it for them. The alternative, the elimination of all large predators, is not a good option IMO but to many, it is. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
notice none of the producers are screaming to wipe out the griz or cougar that are in the same area.......wolves were wiped out from major agricultural areas around the world.....bears and smaller canines and even alot of the big cats were allowed to stick around unless a bad apple started causing major problems......might give yah a hint that it aint alpha predators in general that are the problem but a specific species......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Rattler,

It is not just the one species. It is the species combined with its present population.

I can pretty much guarantee, if we were approaching 2000 grizzle bears in Idaho, we would be seeing some pretty big problems with them also.

Thin the wolves out to the same numbers as the grizzly bears and we ungulate hunters and stock producers will all quit complaining.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lot easier to protect a flock against one griz or the like....awful hard to protect against a pack of wolves unless your there rifle in hand......bears, unless there are cubs, dont work as a team.....neither do cougars.....

i agree the population numbers have alot to do with it but the nature of the beast so to speak has alot to do with it aswell.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I once lived in an area where there were a LOT of wolves (up the North Thompson river in BC. A Vavenby sheep rancher always had a herder with the flock. I don't recall him losing many to wolves but do recall when a cougar had a great time batting sheep around in a pen and killed over thirty! So being there wasn't a guarantee either.
I grew up in Idaho, British Columbia, and Alberta. In all places, hunting regulations and residential expansion had more effect on ungulate populations than did wolves. It's just easier to blame the wolves.
Here, where there are also supposed to be a lot of wolves, elk populations are down but I suspect this has more to do with increased cow/calf seasons, elk fences, and development than it does with wolves. Degradation of rangeland due to cattle-born weed species isn't helping a lot either.GD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 57 invisible), 17,715 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,988
Posts18,540,179
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.