Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fellas

I got to tell you a camp coffee in a blue enamel pot does not need to boil. Watch the pot and you will see convection currents in the water. The coffee grounds circulate and lift the pot off the fire so it does not boil. Pour in the cup of cold water to settle the grounds, or stop convection currents, and leave the pot far enough away from the fire so it just stays warm...

I have cooked a lot over open fires and you do not need to heat above a simmer if you keep paying attention. A griddle over coals will alow oatmeal to cook like your momma made when you simmer it in a pot on the griddle.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are a horse packer keep your eyes open for pots that are rectangular (with rounded corners). They carry better in pack boxes than the standard round pots do. I think Cabelas have had them in the past, possibly still do.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lehmans

SS coffee pot with bail for fire place use and it will make enough for two hung over campers to get sober enough to hunt. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
IF you are worried about or do not like grounds in your coffee.... Grab a box of the el-cheapo brown coffee filters, fold them in half and use a hole-punch at the bottom so you can get them over the stem in the basket of your coffee pot.

Cold water to settle the grounds is what we have always done. Have heard of a few egg shells doing the same thing? Don't know if that one is an old wives tale or not.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by acesandeights
I'm looking for something like a 14 cup (doesn't have to be 14 cup) percolator and am looking for suggestions. I see a GSI stainless steel (I want stainless steel) 14 cup one that looks exactly like Cabelas signature camp percolator. In any event the GSI is made in China, I'm just guessing, but I'd figure the Cabelas one is the exact same pot just with Cabelas on the side.

Anyone know of a stainless steel camp percolator at about 10 - 15 cup capacity? It needs to have a wire for hanging over a fire. I really want a "Made in USA" one if they're out there, but I couldn't find one. Any opinions or info? Thanks!

Get ahold of EvilTwin. He has a place to buy good coffee pots very reasonably.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Craigster
IMO, the only thing worse than percolator coffee is no coffee.

Well, there is instant.

sse that is like eating margarine....eeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The cabelas stainless coffee pots work great. Bought one for the Boy Scout Troop way back a handful of years ago, still operating as expected. Makes great coffee, a few sizes to choose from, this is the 5 liter size. Bought a smaller size for the boys and I camping/at camp, always goes with us. They run them on sale for a decent price. Have a hangar for over a fire and does well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i agree with medicman. enamel pot is all i use while hunting/camping. i've had the same pot since 1974.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Craigster
IMO, the only thing worse than percolator coffee is no coffee.

Well, there is instant.

sse that is like eating margarine....eeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!! grin

You know that's not true. Sanka anyone?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The secret to good boiled coffee is to NOT pour it.....dip it out of the can. That's why you use an open top "pot" that will allow a cup to reach inside.

The suggestion of dropping egg shells into the pot to settle the grounds DOES work.....even better than cold water as it doesn't cool off the coffee. Save your shells when cooking breakfast and threaten to kill anyone who picks up the pot and pours.....the grounds will stir up and never settle again!!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.