Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I posted a question regarding the subject a month or so back and got some good answers that are sincerely appreciated. One of the answers cautioned me about a potential $175 charge, both ways, on gun cases that exceed 64" or thereabouts. Muledeer was kind enough to point out that gun cases were exempt, that he got into a discussion with the airline folks about it, and the good side won that argument.

I have looked at the Delta website and do find the 64"/$175 regulation...but cannot for the life of me find where gun cases are exempt! Can someone help me on this, as I don't want to go broke in a month when flying out west.

Any help is very much appreciated. Good luck to everyone this fall!

Thanks,

Hank

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I looked through and see that under Sporting Goods / Rifles the statement:

Delta will accept firearms and shooting equipment packaged as follows:

One gun case containing up to a total of four rifles or shotguns, plus shooting materials, and tools

An excess baggage fee will apply to cases containing more than two rifles.

No mention is made about size of gun case and only statement about excess charges applies if more than two rifles. I would definately print that and take. If in your spot (and hope to be next fall) will call ahead to confirm and record name of person I talk to, date and ask if they will send an e-mail to confirm.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks....yep, I plan on printing out anything that might help my cause. I appreciate your help!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you put them on your back?

Your arms have to be free to flap don't they?

S
S
Do you insure your gun case when you fly? If so, do you insure it for the total amount of the rifle(s) and scope(s)? I would think insuring the gun case would get it better care. Do you put anything other than the scoped rifle(s) in the case?

Thanks,
Steeleman

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes as a matter of fact I do put them on my back when I fly! As I have gotten older and heavier, I lean more to the carbine models to save weight.

Never insured them before...and never really had a problem with lost guns with a small exception last time in Albequerque...every one's guns came up the conveyer belt except mine...I broke out in a cold sweat until the nice girl (who is now included in my will!) climbed down into the pit and saw my case had slid sideways and blocked the belt, causing a baggage jam. Other than that, smooth sailing. I am afraid if I insure my gun for, say $7,000, someone, somewhere, would know about it and alert their buddy that there is a high dollar gun on this jet....and then temptation might get the best of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have gotten into the habit of ALWAYS checking the baggage ticket they put on my gun case after it was "mistakenly" sent to Canada.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you made your way to the Delta "Contract of Carriage". The Contract of Carriage is the rules airlines and passengers must follow. Each airline is has one and is held to that document. I've found copies online in each airline I've checked, but I haven't checked for them all.

Delta's is here;
http://www.delta.com/legal/contract_of_carriage/index.jsp

One of the relevant sections is on page 40, Rule 190 Baggage, H. Acceptance of Other Special Items, 9. Shooting Equipment (Sporting Firearms), sections a, b and c have been touched upon previously, but no one seems to have found "d" to be relevant to the OP's question;
d) Charges.
All standard baggage charges apply.

What are "standard baggage charges?

That would be found on pages 31
E. Checked Baggage,
5. Size and Weight Limits for Checked Baggage
Except as otherwise provided in this rule, checked baggage may not exceed a maximum outside linear dimension of 62 inches or a maximum weight of 50 lbs. Delta may in its discretion accept larger or heavier baggage, but may require payment of an excess baggage fee, as set forth below.

and on page 32;
b) Oversize Baggage
Delta may accept baggage with a maximum outside linear dimensions exceeding 62 inches, but not exceeding 80 inches, as oversize baggage. Each item of such baggage, if accepted, is subject to an oversize baggage fee of USD$175*. Except as otherwise set forth in this rule, baggage with a maximum outside linear dimension exceeding 80 inches will not be accepted as checked baggage.

I searched several different ways for a potential exemption for firearms, but found none. Section (d) seems to apply. And thus by my read of the Delta Contract of Carriage, Mr Barness got away with one, but should have been charged. The caveat is that each airline has slightly different rules outlined in their Contract of Carriage and I did not read his firsthand account, and thus don't know what airline his experience pertained to. If I missed the exemption he applied, I'd love to stand corrected.

I fly fairly frequently with firearms and have had to get familiar with the process and my rights. If I had to offer any further advice, I would suggest to behave professionally and politely if a disagreement in interpretation arises (your fate or that of your pocketbook afterall potentially lays with the person in front of you!), but don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor or station chief to review their contract of carriage with you.

Last edited by ChrisF; 09/04/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,357
Posts18,527,093
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.