Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have not fired a bow since scout camp 30 years ago. I rifle and muzzle loader hunt deer. Mainly rifle. Have been scared shoulder injury would prevent bow hunting. Went to store today and was able to pull back a double cam bow at 53 lbs. Salesperson recommended a Quest bow. that already had rest on it. Demo bow. 500 bucks. Could talk guns all day but have no idea what am doing on this. Imagine that these guys are being helpful and honest. Is this a good bow or am very open to recommendations. Please feel free to suggest another bow. Would like to keep cost reasonable but do not want to have to buy a new bow next year if I like it. Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bone,
I would look around for a used bow if you can. Go to www.archerytalk.com and ask questions there. You can find out your draw length and look for a used bow on that sight. Sometimes you can find one all set up. I restarted my archery career several years ago with a buddy who had an extra bow and sure am glad I did. Good luck.

Last edited by 24mileboy; 08/22/09.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just a FYI, Cabelas, Bass Pro and Gander Mtn. all have a "house" brand bow line. These are made by major brands (most of the time) they just put the retailers name on them.

These bows will come ready to shoot, just add arrows and a release.

Prices will start around $300.00.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Quest bows are made by G5 and they have a good reputation for putting out quality. I haven't seen or shot one though. If you like it and it feels good to you I would buy it. You could go to one of the big name retailers and get a bow at lower cost, but you might not get quality service. The best way to know where to go is to talk to local bowhunters and ask about sales and service.
If you trust the store that has the quest, are confident you'll get set up correctly, and are going to be in it for the long haul....I would buy it. I would rather pay a little extra at a reputable pro shop and get set up correctly than to pay alot less and have problems that could be avoided in the first place.
Bottom line is get set up from a pro shop!! If you haven't been around archery for awhile it will be worth it.

Last edited by backwoodsbrian; 08/23/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are lots of nice lower and mid line bows out these days. I'd say go to a pro shop and shoot all you can. You do not need the latest $800 bow to hunt with. Do shoot them though, just to see for yourself what you get. I'm personally a Hoyt fan and would recommend looking at the Hawk series. Don't get caught up in the hype and speed bs, find a nice comfortable bow that fits you.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Shoot it and see what you think. I have never gone to a bowshop and bought what I went there to buy. What shoots better for you is more important than a few FPS, or what bow looks sexier.

If that Quest bow shoots well for you, it's a great bow. If not, something else will be.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Check these out very nice and you won't be needing to replace for a while,price is right also...
http://missionarchery.com/mission-bows.asp

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
What I would suggest is that you shoot the bow and then shoot several other brands and make your choice. you will know which bows feel better for you and which will shoot the best. Most good shops will set you up and allow you to shoot several bows if they know you are serious about it. I would not rely on what someone else thinks about a bow or it will turn into a brand loyal popularity contest.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Suggestion, and it's only a suggestion, is to get a last years model bow. Most bow shops have to order so many bows every year to keep there dealership with the company.. If they have (5) 08 models and are going to have to order (10) 09 models than most of the time the 08's go for just a little above cost. I've bought my last to bows this way and save about $200 on each. You can get a top of the line bow for mid range pricing. Just something to consider. But as far as the actual make of the bow..Shoot as many as you can..Don't listen to the guy at the pro shop, they are trying to sell their bow. If you haven't shot in a long time. Get something with some decent Brace height, 7 inches or longer. Don't get sucked into how fast the bow shoots. That speed comes at a price and the price involves more than money. If you get a bow with 6" of brace height yeah it will haul azz but it's not very fun to shoot 40 times in your yard practicing.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bonefish,

There are some very good recommendations above...and have to heartily agree with backwoodsbrian.

You may save money on a product at a box store, but you are not going to get the service that you are looking for when you are trying to get into archery and need the professional advice of the guys at a proshop. They work on these bows everyday and can tell you the ins and outs of the various bows. In the end, you will end up with a product, and the assistance that you need to make your transition into archery smoother. A good pro shop tech will also give you shooting tips while you are trying out bows, and this will help you with your shooting form.

The Quest bows are very good quality bows, and are less expensive than some of the bigger name brands. The I-Glide ceramic cable guides have to be the best design I have seen to date.

But try some of the other brands as well...and in the end pick the one that feels the best to you.

Summitsitter is also right on. Pick a bow with at least a 7" brace height (distance from grip to string), this will give you a bow that is more forgiving to errors in shooting form. A bow with an axle to axle length that is 4 to 6" longer than your draw length will also be smoother to draw and shoot, than a shorter axle to axle length bow. Most of the bows today are fast enough to do any hunting that you want to do with a bow...even in the 50# draw weight range.

The Hoyt Hawk series bows are not as expensive (and have a $50 rebate right now) and perform very well, as do the Mission bows. The new Eliminator, even being a slightly shorter bow, is a very smooth and quiet bow, and is quick as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,382
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.