Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
After a 20 yrs hiatus I am getting back into bow hunting, but looking at all the new equipment that is out there is certain overwhelming!

I will be hunting Whitetails in the East and Elk in the west. My last bow (1985?) was a budget bow (Proline compound 70 lbs) which shot excellent. I have more to spend this time around so I am not necessarily looking for a low budget bow but my local archery dealer went right to the Mathews rack and was past $1200 including goodies when I walked out�

I understand like everything else each shooter has their own likes and dislikes..

I am thinking a compound and 60 lb range; at 6�4� back in �pre� mechanical release shooting I used a 31+ draw length.

How do modern mechanical releases affect draw length?
What are today�s best value bows?
What percent let off is everyone using?
Range and weight broadheads can I shoot with a 60 lb bow?
Broadhead�s�were to you start?

Thanks

Ted
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
WRT your questions.

1. Release takes about half an inch off your draw length, and the new school is that you put a little bend in your bow arm, which takes a little bit off, too.
2. Damned if I know. I draw 26.5", so what I like may not work for you. Go shoot a few in your price range and tell us what you like. I keep doing that, though, and keep buying the most expensive damn thing they have so I'm not much help. And 60 lbs is plenty, particularly at your draw length. Having those extra inches means your arrows will scream.
3. I'm shooting 80%, but I have a loose right shoulder.
4. Range? Depends on you. I practice to 50 or so, but don't shoot animals past 35.
5. Weight broadheads? 100 is a good compromise.
6. I like three blade, cut on contact like the Montec, Hellrazor, Wac'Em, or the Snuffers. Others like Slick Tricks, or other 4 blades, and others like expandables. People get as excited about their choice of broadhead as they do their favorite ball team. Pick a sturdy one you can replace the blades in, or sharpen, as you prefer.

Welcome back to a great sport. Bowhunting is still incredible fun.

D
DJR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Take a look at this site:

http://www.huntersfriend.com/

There is a ton of helpful information there and that is where I ended up last year after I drew a Montana tag and needed to catch up with technology. I ended up with one of their package bows that was set up to perfection.

Supporting your local shop is a good idea but when you don't have one this is the best alternative.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

DJR

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would recommend the Bowtech bows. I shoot the Allegence my wife shoots the Tomkat. They are quality alot of speed and very shooter freindly. They range from about 450 up to 800. You can find them pretty easy on the internet a year old and save yourself a couple hundred. Costly, yes. But It will last you many years. I keep thinking I would liek to have a new bow but until they come out with one that blows mine out of the water I think I'll jsut keep shooting it.
Go to an archery shop and try some out. You will not even know archery anymore with the advancements over the last 8 years or so. Especially compared to your old bow!

Last edited by PredHunter; 05/30/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to here your getting the bug again! Do you have any buddies in the area that shoot? If not maybe find a club or good shop to help you out. It would be overwhelming to come in cold and get a good setup first try. If you have a good idea what draw you need and have a little mechanical ability and general tuning know how I would look to the classifieds on ArcheryTalk.com. I think you should look for a Hoyt Protec or Ultratec, preferably with XT3000 limb. This bow will be close to 40" long and fit your 6'4 frame way better than the current short bows that are all the rage. I would also find a bow with adjustable draw length. You will likely want to make some adjustments as you get the feel again. A 60# bow is plenty - I've taken several elk, deer, and antelope with my 60# bow set at 29". Good luck finding an outfit, and get shooting......September is comming!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm a Mathews shooter myself.
Go to the Mathews web site, and browse thru their forums- there is a wealth of information to be found there.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
My last bow was a Mathews MQ-1 and I'm now shooting a Bowtech Guardian. I really dig my Bowtech but I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy with a new Mathews too.

It's really up to how they feel and shoot to you. Anymore, they're all pretty darned good IMO and I don't think you could go wrong with Bowtech, Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, Browning, Martin, etc. - as long as it fit well and you could shoot it accurately.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I had been thinking on the lines of PSE or Martin both good bows that my nephews back east are using and I have been all over the web checking bows, etc BUT after checking out the site kcm270 mentioned I really like the bowtech Diamond justice. It had many features I liked on other bows for less. The fact that it is $300 off is a bonus!

The Hunter Friends web site info on measuring your arm span relaxed "not stretched" tells me at 6'4" with a span of 74" my old 31" bow may have been a bit to long..

thanks for all the good input above

Ted
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can't take credit for that recommendation, it was DJR. I'm a short draw lefty, so I go to the bowshops. I also prefer to try a bow before I buy one, just my way.... but that looks like a very good deal, and if you shoot it well, good for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
take a look at the PSE Bowmadness line they are an excellent bow. You get a whole lot of bow for the money

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There are a lot of good bows out there. I would handle a few and get properly fitted. You would not go wrong with a Matthews but there are plenty more to look at. I own a Matthews but certainly have enjoyed the feel of a Bear in my hand.

NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The biggest challenge is going to be finding a bow with a long enough draw length for you. Most bows today do not go past 30" in draw length. The ones that I can think of right away that will go long enough for you, are going to be the Elite XLR, Hoyt 38 Pro, Seven 37 and Montega (if memory serves correctly). The Hoyts are definitely heavier bows, but shoot well, and the Elite is very smooth shooting bow. Unfortunately, most of these are not going to be value bows.

If you put a little more bend into your bow arm, and can shoot a 31" draw bow comfortably, then the Mathews Drenalin LD is also a very good choice. This is my bow, and I absolutely love how it shoots! Even with heavier arrows (480 gr) shot at 66 pounds, I'm getting upto 280 fps.

The release shouldn't effect your draw length, but can change your anchor point for your drawing hand. Try to find a release that is comfortable for you, and adjustable so that it allows your drawing hand to anchor bone on bone (i.e. the knuckle of your index finger against your jawbone...I really like to settle it in under my ear, behind my jawbone...makes a solid anchor point that is easily repeatable).

Most of today's bows are going to be approx. 75-80% letoff, which will be a good thing, as we get older. We can concentrate more on our form and the shot, than on the strength to hold that bow at full draw.

With any good quality 100 gr broadhead (fixed or mechanical) that shoots well out of your set-up will be enough to take game cleanly out to 40 yards, with complete pass throughs, unless you contact heavy bone. I really like fixed blade broadheads and have used the G5 Montec and Strikers to to take moose, elk and mule deer. I also used a mechanical for the first time on game last year, using the Tekan II on moose and whitetail. The performance was good, but I did like the better bloodtrails that the fixed blade broadheads gave me. But for less fuss, the mechanicals do fly to the same point of impact out of my bow...and I will be trying the Grim Reaper Razortip on my antelope hunt this week, as it hits to the same point of impact as my fieldpoints, all the way out to 70 yards, in practice.

But try as many as you can before buying, and if you really like it, buy the best that you can afford. Buying the cheaper bow isn't always going to save you money. You may find yourself wanting to upgrade in a year, and losing money in the long run.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am starting to run into problems with Bowtech customer service, I am still on the edge of giving them the benefit of doubt but they have not answered my first inquiry for a new cable slide to replace the one that broke, not wore out, broke. Today I call their CS line and it tells you to go to their website and you can not even talk with them, I sent a new inquiry but season starts Oct 1st and I want to continue shooting.

POOR if you ask me

Ryan

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get serious. Get Hoyt! grin The new Alphamax is a pretty sweet bow!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ive been shooting a Darton 2500. Very nice and smooth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 78CJ
I am starting to run into problems with Bowtech customer service, I am still on the edge of giving them the benefit of doubt but they have not answered my first inquiry for a new cable slide to replace the one that broke, not wore out, broke. Today I call their CS line and it tells you to go to their website and you can not even talk with them, I sent a new inquiry but season starts Oct 1st and I want to continue shooting.

POOR if you ask me

Ryan

I bought a brand new bowtech commander when they first came out. My cam had a burr in it and I didn't notice it till I got home with it. I sent via a friend back to the shop (I live in the boonies) to have it "fixed". The moron at the bow shop used a dremel to fix the cam.

Bowtech apologized but said they wouldn't send a new cam to anyone else BUT that dealer to fix it. I couldn't take it to another dealer to have it fixed. At the time they weren't sending ANY cams to dealers at all so nobody had one around. No way was I going to let that idiot touch my bow again.

Make a long story short 6 months later I got a new cam in the mail because I told them I would just replace it myself with my press. Worst part is when I called to ask about a new cam and complain they told me "Oh yeah that bowshop is terrible and that guy is an idiot....but he has exclusive rights to that area" and they refused to let me take it elsewhere.

I listed it on AT the same day I got the cam and never even shot it. Total waste of tme and money.

Some other Bowtech dealers on AT tried to help out by ordering me a cam when they found out about it - but Bowtech put that down in a hurry and required all request for warranty repair parts to have a S/N on it.

I couldn't even go and BUY one.

It just rotates around in my opinion. Everyone raves about Matthews customer service but I had a limb break in the first year and I shoot really conservative (heavy arrows etc...) and the shop I bought it from refused to work on it because they had changed hands but were still a Matthews dealer. I took it to another dealer who said they didn't do warranty work on bows they didn't sell.

I talked to Matthews and they said it was between me and my dealer.

So I switched to Hoyt and bought 2 brand new ones and haven't had any problems with them and I'm getting out of bowhunting now so knock on wood.

The best customer service in my opinion has been Martin. I've owned a number of their target bows and have had some wierd request and they were top notch and easy to get in touch with.

Last edited by NathanL; 09/09/09.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NathanL

POOR if you ask me

Ryan

I bought a brand new bowtech commander when they first came out. My cam had a burr in it and I didn't notice it till I got home with it. I sent via a friend back to the shop (I live in the boonies) to have it "fixed". The moron at the bow shop used a dremel to fix the cam.

Bowtech apologized but said they wouldn't send a new cam to anyone else BUT that dealer to fix it. I couldn't take it to another dealer to have it fixed. At the time they weren't sending ANY cams to dealers at all so nobody had one around. No way was I going to let that idiot touch my bow again.

Make a long story short 6 months later I got a new cam in the mail because I told them I would just replace it myself with my press. Worst part is when I called to ask about a new cam and complain they told me "Oh yeah that bowshop is terrible and that guy is an idiot....but he has exclusive rights to that area" and they refused to let me take it elsewhere.

I listed it on AT the same day I got the cam and never even shot it. Total waste of tme and money.

Some other Bowtech dealers on AT tried to help out by ordering me a cam when they found out about it - but Bowtech put that down in a hurry and required all request for warranty repair parts to have a S/N on it.

I couldn't even go and BUY one.

It just rotates around in my opinion. Everyone raves about Matthews customer service but I had a limb break in the first year and I shoot really conservative (heavy arrows etc...) and the shop I bought it from refused to work on it because they had changed hands but were still a Matthews dealer. I took it to another dealer who said they didn't do warranty work on bows they didn't sell.

I talked to Matthews and they said it was between me and my dealer.

So I switched to Hoyt and bought 2 brand new ones and haven't had any problems with them and I'm getting out of bowhunting now so knock on wood.

The best customer service in my opinion has been Martin. I've owned a number of their target bows and have had some wierd request and they were top notch and easy to get in touch with.

They would have gotten my request at the beginning of the day yesterday and still nothing in my inbox...........

They are going to make me really regret the Bowtech............

Ryan

POOR if you ask me

Ryan

I shoot a Diamond and my cable slide broke this weekend in the stand... talkin about being a little upset! I went to Bass Pro and the guy said that they break all the time and the Diamond/Bowtech do not warranty them as they are plastic. I replaced it with one for $8 and it is made with Teflon. Suppose to last longer. So I would just go get one for $8 and not worry about the headache of Customer Service, especially if the season starts Oct 1. It can be put on in seconds.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.