Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
If you were to establish a Barakistan somehwere on the planet, where would it be? Why?

Put it in hypothetical motion there now. How would it work?

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Sorry, but I do not see how these notions could possibly work in the modern world, given the nature of man. Businesses would form their own armies, religions would form their own armies, and complete chaos would result. You could only have a measure of peace so long as everyone agreed to the exact same principles - fantasy land.

We HAD the best government ever designed - let's get back to it. The notion of creating a means of checking government to force it back into its intended box was never really elaborated upon and that is a notion that appeals to me.

The Constitution and KISS.

WHUT?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
If as Hawk posted on another thread, we stuck in strong masculine energy so live with it, than other than just talking there is nothing we can do about our state of affairs.
You're speaking a language I'm not familiar with. Sounds all New Age like.

That said, it is human nature, for better or worse, that males dominate society. We are not spiders. We are vertebrates of a high order. The norm, with very few exceptions, for such animals is male domination.

Look at a gorilla or [bleep] community, for example. Look at a pride of lions. Males are more strongly built, and produce high levels of testosterone, which increases aggression and determination to dominate. A female dominated society would be an aberration in the extreme for human beings. Human nature is fixed in this regard. To the extend that a society encourages the opposite, that society is at odds with nature, i.e., perverted.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Underclocked
Sorry, but I do not see how these notions could possibly work in the modern world, given the nature of man. Businesses would form their own armies, religions would form their own armies, and complete chaos would result. You could only have a measure of peace so long as everyone agreed to the exact same principles - fantasy land.

We HAD the best government ever designed - let's get back to it. The notion of creating a means of checking government to force it back into its intended box was never really elaborated upon and that is a notion that appeals to me.

The Constitution and KISS.
+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somalia keeps popping into my head as I read this.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sounds to me like anarchy would work in an insulated society with no outside aggressors or internal strife; in other words, it won't work. I place my faith in the wisdom of the founders and the Constitution that they created. It's incumbent upon their descendants to defend their liberties, and if they are unwilling to do that, then they do not deserve them, to paraphrase Benjamin Franklin.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Barak, give a hypothetical of how the country runs; create a Barakistan, describe it's day-to-day.

Also, would there be neighboring countries?

I can't even describe day-to-day operations of the US--especially not today--and it's not even hypothetical. You'll need to be more specific.

Neighboring countries? Heck, there might even be containing countries. It's unlikely that a free society will arise from somebody buying an island or a tract of land somewhere and starting his own country on it. That's kind of the opposite of freedom.

Free Men exist today, scattered around the general population. Occasionally, a pocket of them happen to either live close together or do business together or otherwise share something in common; that's the beginning of a free society. If it takes hold and grows, people who are Free Men will be attracted to it, and people who are Livestock will be attracted away from it.

If the State that surrounds it grows more onerous and oppressive, more people on the margin who were formerly undifferentiated will differentiate themselves into Free Men and Livestock, and once more the Free Men will be drawn to the free society and the Livestock will be drawn away from it.

If the free society is successful and prosperous enough to become widely known, that too will drive undifferentiated people to differentiate themselves and act accordingly.

When a free society is small, it's probably in its best interest to conceal itself to the extent possible from the State that claims jurisdiction over it. When it's big enough to secede and make it stick, that's what I'd expect to see.

I understand where you're trying to drive me: you want to maneuver me into a position where you can point out that States bordering a free society will invade, conquer, and crush it.

I don't hold with that--I expect we'll get into that later--but I would like to point out the underlying assumptions.

You're assuming that any State bordering a free society would automatically be alarmed at the concept of people living in freedom and liberty so close to its borders and immediately do its best to eliminate that liberty and bring them under its heel.

And this is the State that you're advocating?

That's what I mean when I say that the State is immoral and should be abolished. Yes, I have my ideas about what life might be like without it; but even if I'm wrong about all those ideas, the truth of the original assertion remains: the State is immoral and should be abolished. Even if it turns out that without the State we would all be living in caves and chipping edges into stone axes, the State is still immoral and should be abolished.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Originally Posted by kend
And what of a rapist of murderer??

Barak is still working... but I suspect he will say that the rapist or murderer should be handed over to the victim's family/friends/next of kin for justice to be served...

Penny
What if he's innocent? Shouldn't he have a trial first? Who would guarantee an unbiased determination of guilt/innocence?

Certainly not a State court system, that's for sure. All of us know of countless examples of miscarriages of State justice, and we can be assured that there are many others that we never hear about.

Essentially, humans are biased creatures; there is no such thing as a completely unbiased verdict.

However, using free-market forces, we can get pretty dang close. In a private court system, a particular judge's income would depend on the public perception of his impartiality and fairness. If Judge A is fairer than Judge B, then Judge A will steal Judge B's business and get rich, while Judge B will be reduced to wearing the blue vest at Wal-Mart.

Judges under a State, of course, can be as partial and corrupt as they like as long as they don't get caught at it, and as long as they can continue to bribe or intimidate people into voting for them.

Barak,

So what happens if a gang of Hells Angels moves in, robs your house, kills your family and then moves on to another part of the "country"? How would a single person expect to get juctice when he perhaps doesn' know who was involved and where they have gone? Are you suggesting he would pay a private company to investigate and apprehend them? What checks and balances would exist to ensure the right people were apprehended and that the evidence was legitimate?

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
reading Barak's bizarre telling of how his criminal law system would work kind of tells you why such systems were abandoned

You're a pretty smart guy, and I'm sure I could learn something useful from you if you'd take a break from the content-free sarcasm and post something of substance...

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike762
Sounds to me like anarchy would work in an insulated society with no outside aggressors or internal strife; in other words, it won't work.

Anarchism was designed for handling aggression and strife. It's the only system I've seen that puts all the incentives in the right places. In every other system, the incentives always reward the corrupt, the violent, and the tyrannical. In a free society, peaceful, consensual interaction is automatically rewarded and aggression is automatically penalized--not by any higher authority which could be corrupt, incompetent, or lazy, but simply by decentralized free-market forces. (Which, of course, is another way of saying "human greed." Human greed is very dependable.)

I place my faith in the wisdom of the founders and the Constitution that they created.

I look around at what has been wrought either by the Constitution or under the Constitution, and any faith in it I might once have had evaporates and drifts gently away on the morning breeze.

The Framers may have been smart guys operating without the benefit of hindsight; but the whole concept of limited government has really turned out to be a ringer.

It's incumbent upon their descendants to defend their liberties, and if they are unwilling to do that, then they do not deserve them, to paraphrase Benjamin Franklin.

Absolutely.

But I expect I understand that a little differently than you do.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
that ain't sarcasm, amigo.

what you describe is sort of a bastardized version of primitive private justice that went out with the Bronze Age....and anybody who has any experience with a real system which, although far from perfect like all manmade things, functions pretty well can and will tell you that your proposal is unworkable in execution. In fact, it is almost impossible to read with a straight face. Which I tried to do, since I respect your eccentric insights.

again, there is a reason your system exists nowhere on earth, other than in the fevered imaginations of anarchists.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I can't even describe day-to-day operations of the US--especially not today--and it's not even hypothetical. You'll need to be more specific.

Neighboring countries? Heck, there might even be containing countries. It's unlikely that a free society will arise from somebody buying an island or a tract of land somewhere and starting his own country on it. That's kind of the opposite of freedom.

Free Men exist today, scattered around the general population. Occasionally, a pocket of them happen to either live close together or do business together or otherwise share something in common; that's the beginning of a free society. If it takes hold and grows, people who are Free Men will be attracted to it, and people who are Livestock will be attracted away from it.

If the State that surrounds it grows more onerous and oppressive, more people on the margin who were formerly undifferentiated will differentiate themselves into Free Men and Livestock, and once more the Free Men will be drawn to the free society and the Livestock will be drawn away from it.

If the free society is successful and prosperous enough to become widely known, that too will drive undifferentiated people to differentiate themselves and act accordingly.

When a free society is small, it's probably in its best interest to conceal itself to the extent possible from the State that claims jurisdiction over it. When it's big enough to secede and make it stick, that's what I'd expect to see.

I understand where you're trying to drive me: you want to maneuver me into a position where you can point out that States bordering a free society will invade, conquer, and crush it.

I don't hold with that--I expect we'll get into that later--but I would like to point out the underlying assumptions.

You're assuming that any State bordering a free society would automatically be alarmed at the concept of people living in freedom and liberty so close to its borders and immediately do its best to eliminate that liberty and bring them under its heel.

And this is the State that you're advocating?

That's what I mean when I say that the State is immoral and should be abolished. Yes, I have my ideas about what life might be like without it; but even if I'm wrong about all those ideas, the truth of the original assertion remains: the State is immoral and should be abolished. Even if it turns out that without the State we would all be living in caves and chipping edges into stone axes, the State is still immoral and should be abolished.
You're a smart guy, Barak. It's a shame that you waste all that brain power fantasizing about things that cannot, in light of reality, possibly be. You'd be a real benefit to the cause of restoring the Republic established by the Founding Fathers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
So what happens if a gang of Hells Angels moves in, robs your house, kills your family and then moves on to another part of the "country"? How would a single person expect to get juctice when he perhaps doesn' know who was involved and where they have gone? Are you suggesting he would pay a private company to investigate and apprehend them? What checks and balances would exist to ensure the right people were apprehended and that the evidence was legitimate?

If that happened--which it wouldn't as we'll see in a bit--I'd be due a truly enormous settlement from my Personal Protection Agency. Or, rather, from its insurance company.

And all its other customers would be looking on very closely to see whether it paid me or not. So would its competitors. If it didn't, those other customers would leave it in droves, and there'd be a premium war among its competitors to attract them. (No government protection for insurance companies in a free society.)

Given that, my PPA is going to spend whatever it takes up to the amount of the settlement specified in my contract to make sure I stay safe from Hell's Angels.

And given that, the gang of Hell's Angels is going to go looking for easier prey. However, the only people who aren't subscribed to PPAs will probably be those who are so poor they're not worth robbing anyway...whereupon the Hell's Angels will likely give up their lives of crime and take up knitting and Sunday-school teaching instead.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
anybody who has any experience with a real system which, although far from perfect like all manmade things, functions pretty well can and will tell you that your proposal is unworkable in execution.

Go on...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's fascinating about this thread (props to Sean) is how un-imagineable the lack of a State, the lack of governmental structures under which we were all born and have labored beneath our whole lives.... How fundamentally alien it is to all present to try and imagine life without them. It's like asking fish to write about living without water.

Seems like EVERYONE is a fan of big government. We just argue over the implementation. smile

The place (the ONLY place) I could see Barakistan working is a tropical island, like Hawaii, where food is easy and the livin' is simple. However, a place that nice would be conquered by an organized state soon enough, and that'd be the end of Paradise.

Which is what happened to Hawaii...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

If that happened--which it wouldn't as we'll see in a bit--I'd be due a truly enormous settlement from my Personal Protection Agency. Or, rather, from its insurance company.

And all its other customers would be looking on very closely to see whether it paid me or not. So would its competitors. If it didn't, those other customers would leave it in droves, and there'd be a premium war among its competitors to attract them. (No government protection for insurance companies in a free society.)

Given that, my PPA is going to spend whatever it takes up to the amount of the settlement specified in my contract to make sure I stay safe from Hell's Angels.

And given that, the gang of Hell's Angels is going to go looking for easier prey. However, the only people who aren't subscribed to PPAs will probably be those who are so poor they're not worth robbing anyway...whereupon the Hell's Angels will likely give up their lives of crime and take up knitting and Sunday-school teaching instead.

Barak,

Your trying to be far too logical...Many people don't commit crime for profit, they commit it for kicks or simply because they can...

Essentially you'd end up living in a feudal system like the UK pre about the 1500's or Somalia today...Perhaps the State as we know it today wouldnt be terrorizing you, but there would be plenty of people out there who would be..

You have to quit thinking in terms of "theories" and stating looking at how such societies actually worked...virtually every civillized/first world society in the world has moved away from such lifesyles; that really should tell you something...

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 09/07/09.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Seems like EVERYONE is a fan of big government.
laugh laugh So, you get the impression from my posts that I favor big government? You mean because I don't embrace the fantasy of a society where no one seeks to exercise unchecked and arbitrary power over the lives of other? The reality is that there will always be those willing and able to surround themselves with enough thugs to impose their unchecked will on the remainder of humanity. Give that system enough time to develop, and it becomes what we call The State. The solution to The State is to impose on it the rule of law. That process is called the institution of government. It's that simple.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Not very knowledgeable about anarchy, but is there an example of an anarchistic society alive and well on the planet today? Ot is this whole thing a mental exercise?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You'd be a real benefit to the cause of restoring the Republic established by the Founding Fathers.

Not really, any more than I'd be a benefit to the cause of digging holes in the backyard and filling them directly back up again. We've already tried the whole Republic thing, and we've seen how it works and what happens to it. Other countries have tried it too, with the same result. Unless you've got an argument that we today are somehow fundamentally better people than who failed to stay out from under the heel of the State the last time--and given your statements about the constancy of human nature, that seems unlikely--I'd rather spend my energy on something with a chance of success.

I do appreciate what I suspect you intended to be a compliment, though. Thanks.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Not very knowledgeable about anarchy, but is there an example of an anarchistic society alive and well on the planet today? Ot is this whole thing a mental exercise?
Somalia.

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 264magnum, 51 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,066
Posts18,521,520
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.