A
aceman Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have a savage 111 standard trigger about 2 years old and
hardly fired. It's been a few months since I went to the
range, and I sighted in some 165gr in my 30-06 this weekend. After firing a shot, I went to eject the case and it was quite tight and had to pull firmly to move the bolt handle. I also tried it with dry firing, as soon as I pull the trigger, then it's just as tight to open the bolt. I've never touched the rifle except to remove the bolt to clean the barrel, but if I don't pull the trigger it's smooth to cycle the bolt handle.
Is this normal?

Earl.

GB1

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Savage bolt actions tend to be a little harder to lift the bolt handle when fired or dry fired than most bolt actions. If you haven't already, pull the bolt out of the rifle and lubricate the angled surface of the cocking cam with some light grease or oil. The grease is best as the oil won't last long. Re-install the bolt and work it up and down a few times with the trigger held back then pull the bolt re-lubricate that surface again and see if that helps.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just fixed a 110 for a guy that did the same thing. The action screws were a little too long.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dito on that one. Try loosening the screws and see if that makes a difference when dry firing. If it does, you'll know what the problem is

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aceman
I also tried it with dry firing, as soon as I pull the trigger, then it's just as tight to open the bolt. I've never touched the rifle except to remove the bolt to clean the barrel, but if I don't pull the trigger it's smooth to cycle the bolt handle.

Earl.

Mr. aceman;
I believe that Mr. quarterboredave is onto the correct path in that the bolt is stiff only when you pull the trigger.

When you do so, the main spring must be recocked and if the cocking cam is dry or the camming surfaces beginning to gall it will most likely be very tough to open.

As you noted, when you don't pull the trigger, cycling the bolt is not an issue and that may be because the spring isn't needing to be re-tensioned by a dragging cocking cam?

It couldn't hurt to check the action screw length either, but giving a bit of grease on the back of the locking lugs and the cocking camming surfaces would be where I'd start.

Hopefully that was some use to you. Good luck with your rifle

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have an older Savage pre accu trigger. It has always had a bolt so hard to open that I had to take it down from the shoulder. I bought a slim and longer bolt handle from Brownells that solved that problem but your problem may be different that what I experience. Thanks...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.