-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am not trying to bash savage fans but from my expierence most of their firearms are crap with the exception of their older weapons mod 99 ect. However, I have been hearing a lot of good things about their newer guns with the accu-trigger set up. Whats your honest opinion of current savage rifles? I have been looking for a new short action bolt gun and have considered savage.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, picked up a new 111 last year in 270 and the thing shot 0.7" groups with the first handloads I took out. Pure junk. Don't touch them.

grin

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Havent heard of anything in the accu-trigger series shooting over 1.0" groups right out the box with competent shooters. Most shoot as Calhoun described. All that for many dollar less than those that do the same thing. New rifle SAVAGE accu series would be my first choice. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a few new Savages rifles and they shoot just fine! Their rimfires now all come with accu-trigger and shoot better then rimfire ammo allows. Lot of fun. Just picked up new 410 O/U past weekend and will see how this gun (made in Turkey) shoots tomorrow at trap range?

Bruce
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My .22-250 shoots nice little clover leafs with that acutrigger and the 26" bull barrel.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mentor is fussy PITA when it comes to bolt guns. He's a retired German mold maker. Say no more, right? wink

His rifles all shoot sub MOA like Kimbers, Weatherbys, Remingtons and graded Winchesters. He been reloading for over 45 years and he's only happy when the guns get to the sub .500" stage. Think precise.

He thought little of the Savage bolt guns so I put my new Savage American Classic Model 14 chambered for a 250 Sav. in his hands. First off, he really liked the Accu-trigger. After taking the rifle apart he confessed he was impressed with the workmanship though he didn't care for the extra meat on the round action which he thought had a "military look" to it.

So last week I was fire forming new W-W brass and shot a .460" group. He measures it and now he wants ten once fired pieces of brass and the rifle for 24 hours! wink

BTW, last year Field and Stream tested factory rifles for accuracy. The Savage Model 14 came in third place behind the Weatherby MOA and the T/C Icon. It's average groups with factory match ammo were just over 1/2"! They are probably more accurate than most of us need. smile

Last edited by olgrouser; 09/08/09.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know anything about these Savage 14 rifles. I know there are some real rifle guys here and know if they say the 14's are good...they are good.

But I do know something about the 99's. I know Savage has been talking chit about bringing back the 99 for many years now. I just hope that if and when they do, they take the same kind of approach to the "new" 99 as they have the 14. Quality sells...anybody can make tin cans.

As for the new 99's, I'm still of the opinion that I'll believe it when I see it. Too many past disappointments to get excited.

Randy

Last edited by 99guy; 09/08/09.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Yep, picked up a new 111 last year in 270 and the thing shot 0.7" groups with the first handloads I took out. Pure junk. Don't touch them.

grin

Ok, I hear that the4 accuracy is excellent, but how well made are they? My neighbor had a savage bolt action. It was made in the 90's. It was accurate but had many other problems. The scope mounts would just come lose. The gun smith said it was a defect in that particular model. I dont recall what model it was. I have a savage single shot .410. Again early 90's. It pretty much just fell apart.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In my experience most Savage products could be depended on to:

1. Be cheaper than the competition.
2. Have equal or, in most cases, better accuracy than the competition.
3. Be tough as nails in the field an ALWAYS work.
4. Be ugly as sin and far below the competition in that area.

If one wanted a simple "working gun" that would provide the best value for the dollar....Savage was the way to go. Couldn't buy a better "using gun" than the various .22's, Savage pump shotguns, the 311 or the bolt rifles, but they would never be something you'd show off to your friends (kind of like some women I know, ugly but perform quite well).

Recently (the Savage American Classic comes to mind) the look is much improved and even could be called attractive. It still has that rediculous barrel nut (admittedly one of the reasons the average savage shoots so well), but it's been reduced and is not so glaring. The bolt still looks like it was cut off short with a hack saw, but the new, better styled wood stocks (of much better quality wood) and better finish make it a pretty good looking rifle too.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pacman, I had an old Savage 110 in 30-06 from the 80's, and couldn't sell it off fast enough even though it did just fine for my one elk hunt. Trigger was horrible and the kick was unbelievable. The newer rifles are very, very much improved for quality. Still low priced, and not much to look at, but normally very accurate.

Pick up a newer one with a accutrigger, even best, pick up a new American Classic Model 14 in 250 Savage. You won't regret it. Here's a link to one with very good pics on auction on gunbroker. I have no ties to it and wouldn't recommend the auction one way or another, just linking to some good pics.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139085577

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was thinking 300 savage, 308, or 7mm-08. The 250 is nice but impractical for what I will be using it for. I am a fan of 30 cals although I have a soft spot in my heart for the 7mm-08

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, darn.. the same rifle is also chambered in 300 Savage, I think. grin

http://www.savagearms.com/14AmerClassic.htm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
why no lefty 250 in the classic???

PacMan, what are you going to be doing with this gun that 250 is impractical?

Andrew
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by lovemy99
why no lefty 250 in the classic???

PacMan, what are you going to be doing with this gun that 250 is impractical?

Black bear, elk, The 300 probably isnt the best choice either. Both calibers are capable of taking those animals but I feel better with a 308 or 7mm-08. Also the cost and availibility of ammo. If I had the money to invest in reloading equiptment I would go for it.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2009, 116s can be had in 250 and 300 Savage as well, as a standard option....

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pacman, I have to agree that I would go with a 308 or 7mm08 for elk. Just to give you that extra 50 yards of shooting distance and some extra confidence.

The synthetic stocked rifles are perfect for rough or rainy hunting, though the Classic rifles have a very nice look to them. I'd definitely stay away from the package rifles.. I'd even grab a Stevens 200 if I was looking for a non-Accutrigger truck gun.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As a fan of the 300 Savage and the old 99 and Model 20 look, wouldn't it be nice if Savage would bring out the Model 14 barreled action in 300 and 250 in a Model 20-style stock? I prefer to shoot Remington 700 bolt actions (love my 300 Savage), but would be the first in line to buy one of each.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (7887mm08, 35, abbydog, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 426crown, 11 invisible), 16,884 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,209
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.