Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
THis would be my first 45-70. Been thinking about a guide gun for a while. Use would be walking the woods, brush gun for elk. Shooting distance no further than 200-250 yards probably more like 100-200. I have a tikka in 30-06 and have almost never had a shot further than 200-250 here in Colorado. THe 1895SBL has really caught my eye. I am kicking around things like the leverevelution ammo and barrel length. How much of a diff between the various barrel lengths of the dif 45-70 and velocity for the distances given.
Would probably put a scout scope on as my eyes at 51 are not what they use to be.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Try to find some local Marlin .45-70 owners and talk to them. Go to the range with them and watch the recoil, muzzle flip and the noise. If you can, shoot all of them.

The problem with the short barrels is muzzle flip and noise.
I find that a 22-inch barrel does as much to reduce muzzle flip as porting does, so why buy an 18-inch rifle that needs porting? It also has a lot less muzzle blast. But go try them for yourself.

Don't commit to a scout scope until you try some alternative red dots, tube and open style, mounted on the receiver.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't think the barrels will make as much of a difference in velocity as in some other rifles. I have the SBL and it's got a nice recoil pad. I've shot Leverevolution and Rem 405s through it and neither beat me up to bad.

Try marlinowners.com/forums You'll find a lot of info on the Marlin 1895.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I agree with you that 1895 SBL has caught my eye also. I've had a cut down 1895 for years with the XS sights and Chrome mat finish. It appears stainless. I VASTLY prefer the pistol grip on hotter loads. Much easier to hang on to. the SBL seems to have everything a guy could hope for. I don't think you would be disappointed.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
30mike06, where are you? You can take my rifle out if you'd like, you gotta buy the ammo smile

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ace, thanks for the offer but I am in Colorado Springs Colorado. I shouldered that 1895 SBL the other day at the shop. Felt like a real point and shoot. I own a couple of 12 ga so I cant imagine the recoil being to much worse than my 870 pump or my mossberg pistol grip. Although it sounds like the really hot loads do kick. I put a sims on my 30-06 and the recoil pad on the SBL felt really sweet. Somebody talk my outta this before I go smoke my visa.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Support the economy, go buy the thing!!!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
How does the .450 Marlin compare to the 45-70?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
"Working together, Marlin and Hornady Manufacturing have developed a potent 45 caliber belted cartridge that is an upgrade on the classic 45/70 Government. It's the most powerful cartridge ever offered in a Marlin lever action rifle."

-Marlin website

Last edited by acesandeights; 09/09/09. Reason: re the 450

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Brandon_Texas

Depends on whether you reload or not. wink I do. The old 45-70 don't take a back seat to nothin' in its class. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by Brandon_Texas

Depends on whether you reload or not. wink I do. The old 45-70 don't take a back seat to nothin' in its class. grin

This is true

The .450 Marlin is a factory loaded equivalent to the .45/70 loaded to it's potential in the 1895. It gives the non-reloader a package that has the performance of reloads (or some commercially available ammo) that exploited the strength of the 1895 action in .45/70, but with some changes, such as the belt.

Also makes a dandy thumper-round to convert a short-mag bolt rifle to.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've read that before, about the 45-70 being an equal to the .450 if you reload. Can you reload the .450 hotter and get more performance still, more than the 45-70? Or, do they share the same bullet weights, powder, case, etc if you reload the 45-70 hot? Just wondering because I don't reload.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK so how did we get from helping me pick out a 45-70 to fig out the dif between .450 and 45-70
P.S. thnks for the input so far.
MIke

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good point Mike. I guess I figured you'd have bought the d*mned thing by now smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by acesandeights
I've read that before, about the 45-70 being an equal to the .450 if you reload. Can you reload the .450 hotter and get more performance still, more than the 45-70? Or, do they share the same bullet weights, powder, case, etc if you reload the 45-70 hot? Just wondering because I don't reload.

Short answer, no. Peas in a pod at max. The .450 just exploits what the 45/70 is capable of, right out of the gate. Pretty much use the same components, but data may differ slightly due the the typical 45/70 case having slightly more capacity.

And to the OP, I prefer the Guide Gun, but others may like the larger platform and pistol grip lever of the 1895. The straight grip lever can be a little hard on your hand, and some individuals say the ergonomics of a pistol grip suit them better. I just don't get into extended shooting sessions with top-end loads.

But where and how I hunt (treestands in thick river bottoms, or walking through said bottoms), I found the Guide Gun to be a little more handy.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ace, I screwed up. You know what they say about he who hesitates. I went by the shop today to melt the old visa and got beat to the punch. There was an empty rack on the wall and that was all she wrote. Just gonna have to wait.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Oh, you didn't really need it anyway, right smile ?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I thought I wanted a guide gun, then my buddy bought an 1895 with the standard 22" barrel and pistol grip. I decided I liked that setup the best. I shot it a couple of weeks ago with light loads under 300 grain bullets. It was very nice, fun to shoot. I actually saw one of the bullets on the way to the target once when someone else was shooting it. (very light loads) Anyway, Sunday I got to shoot some full on Marlin class loads under 405 grain bullets. I pulled on a Past shooting pad and pulled the trigger on the first round. It rattled my teeth and made my bladder let go! For a second, I couldn't see straight, but I shook my head until my eyes focused agian. Hmmm, I thought. This 5 shot group off bags is going to be tough. I chambered another cartridge, and touched off my second round. I thought a horse had kicked me in the shoulder. My mouth went dry and some of my hair fell out. I uncrossed my eyes and told the guys that I was through. Four full grown men laughed and called me names and said something about not having a hair on my XYZ if I didn't finish my group. I didn't think too much and sat back down at the bench and set off my third round. When I woke up, I was in the fetal position on the ground sucking my thumb and calling for my momma. Not really, but close. Anyway, my 5 shot group, minus two shots was pretty good. After the third shot, I decided that I could take the name calling easier than two more shots AND that I really didn't need a Marlin 1895 as bad as I thought I did if I had to shoot full power loads. I wondered alound if I could find a 185 grain bullet and shoot it over 5 grains of 231 and I got more name calling. Oh well. I think they're cool guns, but unless my buddy can find something light recoiling that shoots well, I'm skipping it. Might buy a 1894 in 44 mag and hope none of the guys at the club look too closely.

Good luck with yours, I'd buy the 22" model if I had to buy one. Wish I weren't a 6' 2" 220 lb sissy.

-Adrian

Last edited by adrianrog; 09/10/09.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by acesandeights

Reloading is not an issue. You can get the 45-70 at various levels of power. I would get the 45-70 and not look back for a second. In fact I did and have had mine for 20 years. The sights on the one you are looking at is very fast. Easily as fast as a scope.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by adrianrog
I thought I wanted a guide gun, then my buddy bought an 1895 with the standard 22" barrel and pistol grip. I decided I liked that setup the best. I shot it a couple of weeks ago with light loads under 300 grain bullets. It was very nice, fun to shoot. I actually saw one of the bullets on the way to the target once when someone else was shooting it. (very light loads) Anyway, Sunday I got to shoot some full on Marlin class loads under 405 grain bullets. I pulled on a Past shooting pad and pulled the trigger on the first round. It rattled my teeth and made my bladder let go! For a second, I couldn't see straight, but I shook my head until my eyes focused agian. Hmmm, I thought. This 5 shot group off bags is going to be tough. I chambered another cartridge, and touched off my second round. I thought a horse had kicked me in the shoulder. My mouth went dry and some of my hair fell out. I uncrossed my eyes and told the guys that I was through. Four full grown men laughed and called me names and said something about not having a hair on my XYZ if I didn't finish my group. I didn't think too much and sat back down at the bench and set off my third round. When I woke up, I was in the fetal position on the ground sucking my thumb and calling for my momma. Not really, but close. Anyway, my 5 shot group, minus two shots was pretty good. After the third shot, I decided that I could take the name calling easier than two more shots AND that I really didn't need a Marlin 1895 as bad as I thought I did if I had to shoot full power loads. I wondered alound if I could find a 185 grain bullet and shoot it over 5 grains of 231 and I got more name calling. Oh well. I think they're cool guns, but unless my buddy can find something light recoiling that shoots well, I'm skipping it. Might buy a 1894 in 44 mag and hope none of the guys at the club look too closely.

Good luck with yours, I'd buy the 22" model if I had to buy one. Wish I weren't a 6' 2" 220 lb sissy.

-Adrian

That's why no extended shooting sessions with one. It goes every time, I shoot it a few, and then let others have fun with it... grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.