Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My hard drive seemed to be going bad on my old computer. Just get a new hard drive right? Well, at the choices I have around here, a new hard drive would be $100. Of course, since my old machine didn't have any disks with it I'd have to buy Windows. Well, that means Vista, and Vista really needs 4 gig of ram to run decently. Since the old machine is about 4 years old, I'd have to buy 4 gig at roughly $70 a gig. So it would have cost me $380 just to make it work, though who knows how well that old processor would have handled the Vista pig.

So I decided to get a new machine and found a decent enough deal on an quad core 8 gig. I gave the old machine to my 11 yr old, and it may last a long time for her. Given all the time I stayed up Friday night to get the thing going again, i wasn't just going to trach it, bad sector or not............

When we got 18 yr old daughter her new computer a year and a half ago, it came with Vista. She was able to plug it into out XP based home neywork, see all the other computers,a nd was able to use both of out printers. That wasn't the case with me.

I had to override the default workgroup name on my new machine, then install a patch on the XP machines just so my new computer could see the workgroup. Then I had to try and download drivers so my new machine (and HP) could print on one of out HP laserjets. I still can't get my new PC to downlaod and use the driver for our other HP laser printer.

Then I go to do some online banking, and I can't make electronic deposits if I use a 64 bit browser.

Sure seems like a lot of backwards crap and unnecessary work for an operating system that consumes a whole gig of ram all by itself.

Anyway, all this crap kept me from the range this weekend. I have two more weekend before deer season starts and still don'ty have a load I like for my deer rifle. My elk rifle has never even been shot and elk season is a month away. BTW, I acquired both rifles early in spring.

So to me, computers SUCK!!!

GB1

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And while I'm in a whiny mood, WTH is the deal with "User Account Control?" It's supposed to prevent programs you don't know about from being installed on your computer, but everytime I click on a new page on the Campfire it stops and asks me if I will give permission to go to that page. That's worse than a virus, so I turned it off.

Buffoons...................

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
After my last PC pooped out, I bought an IMAC, been a lot happier since.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Blaine, my Acer computer only has 3 gig of memory and runs ok with the Vista that came loaded in it. BTW, I don't like Vista either. There is a way to make Vista run more like XP but I haven't tried it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a Yankee problem to me.. grin

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Quit whining, buy a refurbished Dell laptop on egay with XP installed. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Blaine, you're 100% correct! Ned Ludd had it right. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
computers do suck..

and facebook sucks worse.

Something clever here.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
LOL!! We didn't fight the Civil War out here in the West. In fact, a big number of the folks who came to Oregon were Southerners who didn't want anything to do with the controversy surrounding slavery. Unfortunately, the Southerners here have been overwhelmed by the Californians. If I see another coffee shop go up--where there should be a Tex-Mex restaurant--I'll puke!!

We need all y'all to come out here. Whereas the fruts and nuts form California suck, you can't find better land for hunting and fishing that's right out your back door............

However, none of that has anything to do with how much computers suck........ ;grin:

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can find a version of XP, I'd be surprised if any computer shop wouldn't have a copy to use, it wouldn't be piracy, most shops use a master copy for situations like this.

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
NY Football Giants suck!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Computer shops around here aren't open on the weekends, and I need to figure out Vista/Windows 7 before my wife starts using it in her business. I just hate being the computer guinea pig............

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blaine,

The site below has some very good info and smart folks willing to help. Worth a shot.

David

Computer Help

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vista isn't much different than XP, it just looks different. Every move you make, make good use of "system restore"

Good luck.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Oh, drat these computers! They're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them!" - Marvin the Martian

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Vista isn't much different than XP, it just looks different. Every move you make, make good use of "system restore"

Good luck.

Except for all the crap I had to do to get my Vista machine to talk to the rest of the machines on my home network. I do agree the interface is familiar enough. My biggest concern is compatability and reliability. Given Vistaa track record, my wife's braille transcribing program may not work right with Vista. I figure if I mess with it for a couple months, I should be familiar enough with it so setting up hre new machine should go fairly quickly. At least I can hone...................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just hold off until Windows 7, it has an XP mirror on it, which will allow XP programs to work in the native XP enviroment. 1 month, can ya go that long, and if you get a new computer, most companies are giving the 7 upgrade for free. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn officer's always makin thing harder than they have to be. wink

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
lions suck

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the Queens Swallow! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (257Bob, 257Ackley, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 3,191 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,699
Posts18,534,626
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.