Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Ladies & Gentlemen,
Made a run over to the trail at MP 1402 (ALCAN) for a look-see as to hunters still in the area. Noticed one camp site on the right hand side of the trail that had been occupied for most of this Moose season, people thereof had departed this morning.
What disturbed me was they had left their campfire burning. No one had bothered to put the fire out before leaving. I'm not referring to a bit of smoke coming off of burnt wood but flames rising from several pieces of firewood.
I live in the area and forest fires are no laughing matter. I shudder to think what might have happened if the wind had kicked up and the fire had gotten out of control. Especially considering how dry things are this season.
There were several people in this group that are close to my age (senior citizen type), judging by appearances.
Wonder what their thoughts would be if someone were to build a fire in their backyard and then just walked away?
Best Wishes

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Famous phrase:

Awhell, let it burn out- it ain't going nowhere....."

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

TDL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Moose habitat improvement project?

Last edited by TDL; 09/14/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have a license plate number, a big fat ticket could help them pull their head out their azz.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately head in azz disease seems to be rampant. I spent Saturday cleaning up the Kenai at the Russian River ferry crossing. You would be amazed at how much fishing line is just discarded in the parking lot and along the river. I'm not talking about the inevitable tangles that get cut off and allowed to float down stream, but the couple of inches to couple of feet that are trimmed off after tying on terminal tackle, and just dropped wherever the fisherman is standing.

On the up side, I had the boys along, and they good a good understanding of the impacts of littering.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Unfortunately head in azz disease seems to be rampant. I spent Saturday cleaning up the Kenai at the Russian River ferry crossing. You would be amazed at how much fishing line is just discarded in the parking lot and along the river. I'm not talking about the inevitable tangles that get cut off and allowed to float down stream, but the couple of inches to couple of feet that are trimmed off after tying on terminal tackle, and just dropped wherever the fisherman is standing.

On the up side, I had the boys along, and they good a good understanding of the impacts of littering.

The pockets of all my jackets and fly vest are full of line like that. Half of it's mine because I don't drop it, the other half is junk I pick up off the side of the creeks. It's good to see I'm not the only one that picks up.

Deal with it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I suspect most folks are responsible, but there are always idiots out there. We've found same fires here on public land in TX. And happen to know that the folks that left, ain't coming back because the trailer is gone and season is over that night...

I have a boot handy if i could ever catch em. Better yet the local Park service and game warden are on the phone too...

Thanks for putting it out! ANd thanks to all who do like I do, police your own and end up policing for others.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was one of the things I was looking for on my Alatna float ( per the Park Service as I was volunteering for them )sites where people might have made camp and left behind stuff. We found little evidence of use in many places we stopped and always made sure our fire was out and cleaned up to the point of not being able to tell we had even been there had it not been for our footprints.

Stooopid I tell ya to leave a fire and walk away...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
WindWalker, we have the same issue down here in Florida. Last spring, a camper left a fire going, and burned down most of the Juniper Springs Wilderness section of the Ocala National Forest.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 41 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,188
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.