-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The beauty of the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 is that you can load it to handle any critter forseeable and contrary to widely held belief, they kick ass at quite long range with 400 grain or better bullets. A VERY flexible gun/cartridge set-up.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My fun bullets are 405 grain hard cast homemade bullets with 22 gr of AA5744. About 1250-1300 ft/sec and very accurate. Recoil is pretty tame.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I will have a Marlin 45-70 1895 Cowboy model in the future. I love that rifle.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Holy sh*t adrian that was FUNNY.

Caribou, I have one a 1895 SBL, few weeks old now. It shoots nice and the recoil is *ok*. It kicks, but it's a good kick. Feels better than the 300 win-mag I had anyway. I had just heard about the 450Marlin being a bigger gun but didn't know why.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Adrian
Really enjoyed the report. I used to could shoot a contender pistol in 45/70 loaded with 350 to 500 gr lead cast hard and water squelched. I shot sillouette with it and 40 rounds is quite a workout. It was a JDJones barrel and I used his reloading specs for it. I believe it was 46 gr 3031 at about 1500 ft/ sec with a 405 gr and 40 gr 3031 at 1300 ft/sec. Do not replicate these loads as they were specifically drawn up for my pistol. The Marlin is a stout rifle and the_shootist has worked some warm ones up for his. I shot a milder version and discovered, as you did, that I am not the macho guy I told everyone I was. I am very fond of the round, though, and the Marlin lets it meet some better potential. I probably will buy one eventually and shoot middle of the road loads with it. I have the Contender pistol, and a handi rifle so chambered, and the 500 grain bullet gives full penetration from left hip to right shoulder and beyond, breaking both. There is no need to hot load the 47/70 to achieve remarkable effect.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy and love it. Eight in the magazine and one in the chamber is a lot of firepower in your hands. Like medicman said, there is no need to load it hot for remarkable performance.

Adrian gave a pretty accurate description of what it is like to shoot one with full house loads. Pure and simple, it will kick you into next week. But--

Load it with a 457193 Lyman 420 grain Flatnosed bullet and 37 grains of 3031 or 70 grains of 2f black powder, and recoil is very mild and the rifle is flat out fun to shoot. The above mentioned loads give 1235-1250 fps, and will shoot completely through an elk. They are devastatingly effective on any game, in fact.

I have replaced the rear barrel buckhorn sight on mine with a flip up ladder sight off of an 1873 Winchester, and installed a copper penny blade in my front sight. With this set up, I can easily reach 400 yards, and have taken hogs at 300 on the laser. It shoots all the way through them with what seems to be no effort.

The 1895 Marlin is an amazingly versatile rifle. I have a friend on the way home from Zimbabwe who just took a monster Cape Buffalo with his Guide Gun using full house loads. In the summer, he uses the same rifle with light loads to shoot turtles and snakes out of his fish pond. Loaded in different ways the Marlin can lay claim to being a truly all around rifle.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 09/12/09. Reason: spelling error
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Actually, medicman, the loads are starting loads of Benchmark for the 405 gr Remmy. PLENTY for moose! 1850 ft/sec with a 405 grain bullet. Otta hit like a freight train! Cannot wait! wink Thinking I may try a deer with one of the cast loads this year.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i DO NOT shoot full bore loads out of my Guide Gun.....not any fun.....usually load it mild to mid-lin and have at it.......even with the real mild loads its fun seeing just whether or not you can keep them from going through 18 inches of seasoned cottonwood.....you usually cant grin even with mid range loads and 405 or so grains of hard cast lead it has some pretty impressive performance on anything that aint gonna bite back....and prolly still better than having a 44 mag wheel gun on things that do....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Adrianrog,,,,

WAY---- FUNNY, had me rolling on the ground >>>>>

I guess that is why you did not call Jack about his number one....

Do your self a favor; never shoot from the bench like that with a boomer... Lift your self up like, you would be shooting in the field.. A lot less felt recoil...

I shoot off the sticks when I do any target work.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've only thought about calling him and actually had the time to do it very early or very late and didn't want to call then. I just got off a call, so I'll give him a ring. Surely I can find a 185 grain bullet that I can shoot at 700 FPS, right?

On another note, Randy and I went to the range again this past Saturday. For rifles, I took my .308 (loaded to 32-20 velocities, Randy teases me) and he took his 1895 again. We got there only to find that he'd left his ammo at home. I offered to let him sit at the bench and yell "BANG!" and I'd hit him with a sledgehammer. He declined.

We'll crap, the phone is ringing agian....

-Adrian

Last edited by adrianrog; 09/15/09.
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well guys thanks for all the input. Just got back from 3 days scouting in the flat tops here in Co. Ran into a guide in the backcountry. We started talking about lever guns and now I am thinking 336 in .35rem. I see all sort of talk about .35 for deer and black bear but not elk. He had some pretty good stories about both 30-30 and 35 rem and dead elk. If I lived north of here (bigger bears ect) I would still think 45-70 but I am now thinking less recoil, more fun to shoot, and at 200 gr plenty of deer,elk and moose down at 150yrds or closer. Area I was in nothing but 50-100 yard shots.
OR-am I missing a versatility factor with the 45-70 that i have missed????

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nothing wrong with a .35 Rem in a Marlin 336.
Same action, same feel.

If you think you may shoot further or want a little more power, consider a Browning BLR in .358 Winchester.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm actually looking to buy a 35 rem next, although I have no gun/fun money to do so smile

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You guys talkin' up the SBLs aren't helping me at all. I've been going back and forth lately. I NEED another carbine and it would go well with the single-shot in the safe.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't think you'd like the SBL. Stainless, laminated stock, nice recoil pad, peep sights, bah, who needs it! For what could you even use it? I'm just kidding of course. It's a nice compliment to any safe.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
ENABLER!

You just listed all the pros (pistol grip stock of course) that I've been thinking of. I don't see down side to the SBL. This is not helping my slush fund.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
XS makes the scout rail/ghost ring setup for the 336 so if I can ever find a .35 REM here in Colorado I will do some of the SBL mods myself on my 336. So far I cant find a .35 rem along the front range at all. anyone find one give me a shout. I live in Colorado Springs and have called gun stores in Denver, Woodland Park, Pueblo and of course here in the springs. I can order one from Dicks or perhaps Wally World. I will find out Monday.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just got back from sending a few bits of lead down range. The SBL is very nice.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
gun broker.com go there here what i would do buy a 45-70 h&r bufflo hunter then buy a marlin 35 or better yet just buy a 444 and forget it i got all three plus 30-30 32 spec. love them all

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by adrianrog
I thought I wanted a guide gun, then my buddy bought an 1895 with the standard 22" barrel and pistol grip. I decided I liked that setup the best. I shot it a couple of weeks ago with light loads under 300 grain bullets. It was very nice, fun to shoot. I actually saw one of the bullets on the way to the target once when someone else was shooting it. (very light loads) Anyway, Sunday I got to shoot some full on Marlin class loads under 405 grain bullets. I pulled on a Past shooting pad and pulled the trigger on the first round. It rattled my teeth and made my bladder let go! For a second, I couldn't see straight, but I shook my head until my eyes focused agian. Hmmm, I thought. This 5 shot group off bags is going to be tough. I chambered another cartridge, and touched off my second round. I thought a horse had kicked me in the shoulder. My mouth went dry and some of my hair fell out. I uncrossed my eyes and told the guys that I was through. Four full grown men laughed and called me names and said something about not having a hair on my XYZ if I didn't finish my group. I didn't think too much and sat back down at the bench and set off my third round. When I woke up, I was in the fetal position on the ground sucking my thumb and calling for my momma. Not really, but close. Anyway, my 5 shot group, minus two shots was pretty good. After the third shot, I decided that I could take the name calling easier than two more shots AND that I really didn't need a Marlin 1895 as bad as I thought I did if I had to shoot full power loads. I wondered alound if I could find a 185 grain bullet and shoot it over 5 grains of 231 and I got more name calling. Oh well. I think they're cool guns, but unless my buddy can find something light recoiling that shoots well, I'm skipping it. Might buy a 1894 in 44 mag and hope none of the guys at the club look too closely.

Good luck with yours, I'd buy the 22" model if I had to buy one. Wish I weren't a 6' 2" 220 lb sissy.

-Adrian

Ha! I was one of the name callers giggling like a school girl at him!! My .300 WM feels more abusive too me!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 6mmCreedmoor, 16 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.