Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
myeah, don't bother, unless you can get your feet that pointy.

turns out they aint really hunting boots at all after trying to get them on my feet.

Something clever here.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hamr56
Just go pick up one of the black elastic ammo holders that fits on your stock. Works good for me and keeps the bullets from pinching my waste on the belt, plus I can reach for them without having to take my eye off the animal.

That's what I do. Poke a hole in it about an inch form the end and slid your swivel stud through it so it doesn't slid around and you are in buisness.
[Linked Image]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two in each pocket will not rattle, three will. When you reach into any pocket in a hurry you will have ammo!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by northern_dave
myeah, don't bother, unless you can get your feet that pointy.

Nope, only my head is pointy.

To answer the OP, I like the cuff on the rifle's butt like RugerM77270 mentioned - it doesn't have to be full, a couple in it is plenty and it provides a handy place to put the round from the chamber when climbing fences and such.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use one of the belt/wallet deals as well. It's one of the inexpensive velcro/nylon deals. It has worked fine for several years now.

Lou

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use 1 or 2 of my wifes or daughters hair bands. They are cloth covered and wont break like a rubber band will. Plus they are a really pretty shade of pink.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Between a couple 'rattling' in the pocket and blue tape, I'm amazed anything gets killed.

laugh laugh

Mainly it's easier to grab a chunk of shells when changing clothes as the day warms, etc. and keeps shells from getting away. Ever reach into your pocket for a couple and find that they've almost all disappeared? Makes you want to scream.

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nope but I can walk and chew gum at the same time also...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess we can't all be as gifted. grin

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a black cloth ammo wallet with velco that I believe holds 12 rounds. It fits on a bet and sits on my waist. I've had that for about 19 years. Works great and carries more than I need.

I purchased one that fits on the rifle butt for easier access. It holds about 6 at a time. The first (and only) time I used it I kept losing ammo out of it into the snow. Didn't care for it, so I gave it to my father.

I've gone back to the belt holster. If I don't want to carry that I'll put a few rounds in various pockets and call it good.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've been using Uncle Mike's folding shell carriers for years. They have changed their models slightly but they don't soak up water and stay water-logged like the leather or suede shell holders do.

Uncle Mike's Folding Shell Carriers

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the box they came in. Its like they designed it to hold ammo.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
I may be old school but I wear Levi's when I hunt. Four spare 30-06 fit nicely and quietly in the coin pocket, and it is a quite handy location. Being a subsciber to the be sure to have enough theory, I have four in the rifle, four in the coin pocket and five rubber banded in the day pack.

"Everyone is ignorant, just on different subjects" Will Rogers THB
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pants, jacket pocket or day pack.

If your moving your making noise. The woods are not necessarily the quietest place in the world. Those old guys stuffed their pockets with shells, had their lunch in a crinkly brown paper bag and still shot stuff.

Of course they didn't carry around a synthetic stock scratch enhancer.

Then there are those who spend a thousand to shave 5oz off the weight of a rifle then make it up with a shell carrier and other fluff.

Last edited by battue; 09/19/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Pants, jacket pocket or day pack.

If your moving your making noise. The woods are not necessarily the quietest place in the world. Those old guys stuffed their pockets with shells, had their lunch in a crinkly brown paper bag and still shot stuff.

Of course they didn't carry around a synthetic stock scratch enhancer.

Then there are those who spend a thousand to shave 5oz of the weight of a rifle then make it up with a shell carrier and other fluff...... lol...TRUE!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 60 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,361
Posts18,506,359
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.