-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I just bought one today in 308. The test group from the factory showed a group of .216". I have shot plenty of groups like that with a blueprinted target 308 but I would probably wet myself if I shot one like that with a hunting weight rifle. I do realize that these groups are done in ideal conditions with target loads. In the real world have any of you Icon owners shot groups that matched or beat the factory target group? I can't wait to actually shoot this gun!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I been thinking about buying one.Let us know how it shoots.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Given that kind of accuracy, I think I'd call TC up and ask them what the load was that shot a .216 group, then use that as a basis for load developing.
That's pretty awesome accuracy.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just posted on another thread about this,but I just bought an Icon in .243 and it is THE most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned. Shoots .75 pretty easily

It might shoot alot less than that..but not with me on the trigger!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
3 shot group?

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep.....I use the rationale that you don't need a five shot group to tell you anything....
But the harsh truth is that I will choke on a 5 shot group, and screw it up every time!! laugh
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
new one in 243 factory target .90 with rem 80 gr. My first 3 shot group with it using rem 100 gr. .75 so yes this gun beat its factory target first group out of the gate.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
go buy some of the ammo that they used for the factory target and see what it'll do. good luck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have to add that I bought my first (note first!) Icon the other week when the rebates were fixing to expire. It was a wood stock, blue model in 243. The rifle came in and had a target with it that had 3 shots in .9 inch. The ammo the factory used was the plain jane Federal blue box, 243 80 grain. I happened to have some of that since it is about the cheapest and best performing of all the 243 ammo out there. (I'm looking to shoot coyotes at medium to long ranges so this ammo fits my bill very well - plus it fits my scopes TDS lines as good as anything.) Unfortunately none of my other 243s would shoot it accurately. I mounted a scope on the rifle, bore sighted it at 100 and loaded the clip with 3 rounds. I ran a clean patch through the barrel just to make sure there was nothing there. I fired the 3 shots and they were 6-7 inches high but in a very nice triangle that measured 11/16", thus under the factory .9". I made a scope adjustment and brought it down and fired one shot. It was still a little too high (mis counted on the clicks!) so it was brought down to where I wanted it. I fired another 3 shot group and these measured 9/16" with 2 cutting into each other and the 3rd just off to the left.

This is the first literally 'out of the box' rifle that has ever lived up to what the manufacturer claims it would do. And yes they do feel a little heavy but that sure makes them easier to shoot then some of the ultra light stuff I have. And if I can't carry an extra 3/4# of gun maybe I should quit hunting... And remember these already have the bases built into the rifle so that's weight that is not going to be added.

I can't wait to try some other ammo in it and see what it's capable of doing. They brag on their 5R rifling and all I can say is it must work. Remington is gracing us with 5R on one model of their rifles and claims its the greatest thing since sliced bread. TC does it all the way across the board.

The rifle is finished very nicely, deep blue that reminds me of my old Colt Sauers. Everything works, everything fits. I wouldn't be suprised to see a 'good shot' put 3 shots in one hole with these rifles. I hope they don't discontinue them or change them for a while. I will be looking into acquiring one of the 'weathershield' versions and maybe even another 270 in the long action mode.

As for the gun mentioned above, look at your factory target. It should have the brand and load that was used at the factory. At least mine did and it definitely gives you a feeling of confidence to be able to pick up a box of the same ammo and do it better then they did!

All I can say is the TC Icon is probably the best kept secret out there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just picked one up in .22-250. Missed the rebate by a couple of weeks (my usual luck), but I got it priced significantly lower than what they usually sell for.
The test target for this rifle measures 0.18" with 60 grain loads. According to the factory specs, this rifle has a 1-14" twist. I haven't had time to measure the actual twist, but dammit man I'm stoked that it'll apparently stabilize heavier bullets. I shoot a lot of feral hogs, and a 'yote now and again. The 55 grain TSX and the 60 grain Partition come immediately to mind..
What rings did y'all end up using on your rifles?

[Linked Image]
Moonrise over Bokeelia, "The Hill" Boca Grande Pass

"When you shoot a 270 towards something it's like an eagle flying mach speed shooting lightning bolts."
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I used a rail mounted Swarovski on it but normally I used the Burris Signature Zees. They don't mark up the scope and they hold the scope just fine. Most of our local bench rest shooters have gone to them and if they're good enough for those guys, they're good enough for me. They swear by them and again partially because there is never any damage to the scope. I've got Burris rings on rifles now for over 10 years that are still dead on. That particular one is a 7 Rem Mag, another is a 270 Wby Mag. I hear people say they break, not sure how but I guess anybody can have a defective one somewhere along the line.

That's pretty impressive though .18"... wow. I couldn't shoot that group if I had to. Good luck with it! Sounds like you got a keeper. I think you'll really like it when you start shooting it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 Icons 308 and 243. I worked up a 100grain Sierra Pro hunter load that shoots 1/2 inch.It has the ability to shoot 1 hole groups no doubt in my mind. The 308 I just messed around with a little bit and got some 150 grain Sierra Pro Huneters that shoot into .6 for 3 shots. I know it will do better.

The biggest surprise I got was the TC Venture I bought in 270. I only went thru 5 different loads with H4831SC and found one that I shot and honest to goodness 1 hole group with.Not bad for a $429.00 gun I think TC bolt action rifles are a great buy for the money. I hope more people jump on their bandwagon as I would hate to see them discontinue either of them. That said I don't want the price to take a big jump either.

I am thinking about getting my 243 dipped in camo and I might mess around and paint my 270. The 308 will stay how it is:)

Bill/WI
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS.

I am a huge fan of them and most likely any new bolt gun I get will be a TC if I need something in a caliber they offer.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an Icon 308 that had a test group of just over 1/2inch. My first loads out of the rifle were federal gold match 168, as they were what I had on hand. They went into almost exactly 1/2 inch clusters.

I decided to try a hunting load and put together a load with 165 accubonds that went into just over 1 inch. I was not satisfied as I knew the rifle could do better so I tried some of the Nosler factory stuff with the same 165 accubonds, and they go into between 1/2 and 3/4 inch every time. The rifle is so accurate it takes all the fun out of load development.

Mine is getting an upgrade of a new Manners Stock and some Cerakote in the next few weeks and will become my back up rifle for the next few seasons.

I have never kept a factory rifle for more than a couple months, but this one is not going anywhere.

Last edited by dronofrio; 12/24/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,343
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.