Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
HerbG Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I have a rifle stocked by Paul Jaeger about 1965, and the stock is beginning to look dry and dull. Apparently the finish Jaeger used is a hand rubbed oil finish. I would like to restore the finish to original condition, but I am not sure where to begin. The stock is virtually unused and has no dents or dings. Any suggestions would be appreciated

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've used Howards on more than a few stocks like yours, it works .

http://www.howardproducts.com/restora.htm

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
HerbG I would check around but, This is how I do it. First get some tung oil (like Tru-oil). second get some mineral spirits. Mix the two-with 1 part tung oil and 5 parts mineral spirits. Then paint the stock. If it is as dry as you say this will soak in and you will have to do it several more times. It will seal the wood from moisture. Let it dry between coats for two or three days. See how it looks then-If it still is not up to par you will have to get some 600grit sand paper. Start by mixing the tung oil and mineral spirits 1part to 2parts. Cut your sand paper into small squares and use a sanding block of some kind. pick a small area out of the way to start and then put some of your mixture on the paper and sand WITH THE GRAIN. when it gets gunky- use a paper towel and LIGHTLY wipe off AGAINST THE GRAIN. DO the whole stock except the checkered parts. Do this two, three or four times and let dry in between coats three or four days. Check before starting if alittle sticky let dry more. DO NOT RUSH THIS PROCESS> At the end the stock will look muddy-take a piece of sand paper and sand to desired finish. Be careful not to sand into the wood at this point you are just buffing the finish you put on. This is a hand rubbed oil finish.

Good luck D.

D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would proceed very cautiously first just hand rubbing fresh oil on. Then try the wax top coat. Then if this is not successful get out the rubbing compound. Give the less aggressive options a good try. Rottenstone, then Pumice before sandpaper. Try the less abrasive compound then oil and wax to see how well it worked. Only if not satisfactory start over again with the next level of abrasive.

I refinished one oiled stock and I really missed the aging and discoloration from handling that it had before.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
To keep it original just rub it lightly with some Linseed oil or Pilkingtons red oil...and wipe it off..let sit overnight and use some wax on it or better yet just rub it down with Carnuba Wax from Birchwood Casey,

If you want to restore it then let a professional do that..A professional refinish job runs about $150 to $300 depending on who does it, unless they have to recut the checkering then it will cost an additional $150.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I had a stock that was done by Paul Jaeger, I would seek all of the pro. advise that I could get, and not touch it Myself.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,251
Posts18,486,261
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.