Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well after $13,477.92 worth of premium factory ammo (I know I need to learn to handload), the Federal Fusion shoots the best out of my 300 Win Mag.

I am leaving in less than 2 weeks for my very first elk hunt in Colorado. I've been shooting all summer & the final verdict is that the Fusion is a tack driver out of my rifle - it shoots great at 100 yds and 200 yds.

Is this bullet ttough enough to hunt elk with??

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I met the Federal rep in Great Falls MT. I asked that question. The Fusion is designed as a deer bullet, but it is bonded, so it holds together fairly well.

The Federal rep advised that he would not use the Fusion for elk. In an ideal world, it works quite well (broadside shot behind shoulder), but it should not be relied on as an all purpose deep penetrating elk bullet. The rep advised to use the PArtition or Accubond, TSX etc.

If you are prepared to limit your shots, waiting for the ideal, you will likely be good. However, if you are on limited time, and you only get the quartering shot, you may be disappointed with the results.

I know small groups are great for our confidence, but you don't need 1/2" or even 1" groups for elk. If I were going for elk and the Federal Premium partition or TSX shot 1.5-2" groups, I would take that.

300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Federal Premium Partitions do not shoot for [bleep] at 200 yds outta my rifle - the groups are absolutley terrible!!

I have been working with Superior Ammo on a load in the TSX for my 300 Win Mag. They're shooting well at 100 & 200 yds, but the damn Fusion is shooting bugholes all the way to 200 yds.

I will most likely be hunting with the Superior Ammo TSX load, but thought I'd ask beacause of the great accuracy I'm getting out of the Fusion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't say what cartridge your rifle is chambered for.

First the disclaimer: I don't shoot Fusions and have no plans to do so. Second, as AB2506 pointed out, elk are big animals and you don't need sub-moa accuracy to kill one.

That said, if your rifle is chambered for a 7mm or larger, it is likely that the Fusions in the heavier or heaviest weight range would be adequate for elk; i.e., 175s in 7mms, 200s in .30s, etc. Generally bullets are designed with the expectation that those in the heavier end of the spectrum are going to be used on bigger critters.

If you are trophy hunting and are going to take any shot that presents itself, the Fusion is probably not going to be your first choice. If you are looking for a decent bull or a dry cow and are willing to pass up low percentage shots, the heavier weights in a given caliber will probably do the job just fine.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mudhen,

I did mention it in my first post - I'm shooting a 300 Win Mag.

Like I said, I'll hunt with the Superior Ammo TSX load in 180 grains.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300MAG -
Tuck a Fusion behind the shoulder and get your knife out...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you have any questions about the Fusion bullet on elk, search for a thread here regaing a 338 Federal on elk. If I find the link I will post it.

Bottom line is that the bullet will work just fine on kill-zone shots, the only ones to take.

Here it is:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3138764/1

Last edited by goose2044; 09/25/09.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The .338 Federal is not the .300 Winchester. Just about any bullet works very well at .338 Federal velocities. That is one of the cartridge's virtues.

The Fusion is a fine bullet but at high impact velocities it can spread out wide and not penetrate all that far. It would be fine for broadside shots on elk, but would not be my first choice for any quartering shot, especially at close range or at the shoulder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for everyones input - its much appreciated!!

I'll stick with the Superior Ammo TSX load. I guess an elk will not know the differnce between bugholes and 3/4" MOA.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Last year one of our elk camp fellas put a spike elk down with a 180gr. Fusion out of his 300WSM @ about 80 yds. It was a double lunger (hit one rib) and the bullet was recovered under the offside hair.

It retained perhaps 1/2 it's original weight, but was pretty mangled. It worked, but wouldn't be my first choice either. This fella makes many choices based on $ considerations as opposed to what likely will work best. Sure, dead elk, but a 10 day elk hunt with very limited opportunities to score, is not the time to think about saving $.......IMHO.

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

300MAG:

I have seen just the opposite performance out of my '06. The groups are terrible using Fusion ammo and great using Nosler Partitions or Sierra Game Kings. I suppose that each barrel is unique and therefore exibits unique performance for different bullets.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes any bullet will kill Elk if you shoot them in the lungs and if you don't regardless of bullet the Elk will go like the Eveready Bunny on and on. The Fusion will work great if you do your part.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
KC,

I was surprised the Partitions didn't shoot, but each rifle is different & they always don't like ammo that your other rifle does.

We are hunting out your way - flying into Colorado Springs & hunting near Cripple Creek. I am fired up - this is my very first elk hunt!!!

M
M
I would shoot what is most accurate in your rifle at 200 - 300 yards. The fusions are better in my 7MM over anything I tried, I beleive they are not quite as hotly loaded as some more expensive loads. Last year I killed a nice buck at over 400 yds. using Fusion 150gr - accuracy is way more important than the bullet type for me.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Shhot the barnes as elk seem to give the broadside standing still shot almost never on a public land hunt. Good luck. Dean

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

300MAG:

Are you going to be on private land? Since it's close to home, I've hiked, camped and backpacked all over Pikes Peak and the elk always seem to avoid public land. It seems more pronounced here than in other areas, maybe because it's so close to an urban area. The elk seem to hang out on a couple of private ranches south of Skagway Reservoir.

Good Luck

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
KC:

I will be hunting on a private ranch with an outfitter in that area. I think the ranch is 21,000 acres and there will only be 4 of us hunting on it. We will also be the first 4 hunters on the ranch for the season - hopefully I'l get my first bull!!!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Give it up guys.... Just as the 30/06 is the standard for hunting cartridges to be compared to. So the Nosler Partition bullet is the standard for big game bullet performance to be compared with.

Use the Federal Fusions if you want to. But how does it compare to the Partition standard?

300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
idaho,

Never said anything bad about the Partiton, its just does not shoot out of my 300 Win Mag. If it shot well out of my rifle, I'd be carrying them on my hunt.

I'm going to be using the Barnes TSX.

Last edited by 300MAG; 09/26/09.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not a bad choice at all for elk.........wink.

I know a few bulls that just hate the TSX's. As well as being so very effective and exhibiting DRT results, these bulls had less blood-shot meat than ANY other deer/elk I've ever killed with other bullets.

YMMV......but I don't think so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (2003and2013, 1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.