Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TexasRick
If the older car fared better in a true head-on crash......you'll never know (and you can bet they DID test that). Remember, the people making this video already KNEW the results they wanted to "prove" the newer "cars" they sell are better. Do you think it's possible someone might "massage" the test to show what they wanted???

So true
Having a lot of experience with real world wrecks I can tell you that there is only one constant. And that is that there is none. There are far to many variables to calculated. This staged wreck can be taken at face value,that this is what will happen given this set of variables.Is it representative of real world crashes? No.
This wreck was engineered with a desired predetermined result.

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Crash two malibus and then crash two older Chevies and see how they fare. Or run one of each into a concrete wall.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the malibu driver survived because of airbags and a seat/shoulder belt ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Our drivers ed car was a 59 chev biscayne. First drivers ed car with a automatic trans that the school ever had.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The heavier engine in the old chevy , coupled with the greater weight overall would likely make the outcome much different in a head-on .

Think of the new car engine as a 100 gr ballistic tip meeting a 180 gr XXX at the same speed .

[ at least I THINK that's how it works grin ]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I had that video when I was trying to tell some naysayers that modern cars, even one's that are smaller, are safer.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by HOOKER
If the older car fared better in a true head-on crash......you'll never know (and you can bet they DID test that). Remember, the people making this video already KNEW the results they wanted to "prove" the newer "cars" they sell are better. Do you think it's possible someone might "massage" the test to show what they wanted???

So true
Having a lot of experience with real world wrecks I can tell you that there is only one constant. And that is that there is none. There are far to many variables to calculated. This staged wreck can be taken at face value,that this is what will happen given this set of variables.Is it representative of real world crashes? No.

Pat

Conspiracy theories aside, the 'sample of one' test result is supported by the declining trend in MVA death rates....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Wish I had that video when I was trying to tell some naysayers that modern cars, even one's that are smaller, are safer.

They are safer in some areas but most newer small cars remain vulnerable to side impact. Especially when struck by larger vehicles. Take this crash for instance run the 59 into the side of the Malibu. The light weight unitized body on the Malibu would more than likely be a death shroud for it's occupants as the thicker sheet metal and heavy steel X frame of the 59 plowed through like freight train.

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by g5m
I would not have expected that result.

Passenger safety was never a factor in designing cars before the 1970's. Even Ford, who offered seat belts, padded dash panels and dished steering wheels in 1956 when Robert McNamara was President did not include controlled crush resistance in the design. His analysis showed that safety was important, but later discovered that it did not sell and it required Federal mandates to get it into the design.

Anyway, cars are safer now and many of us offer our lives to the new designs.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

They are safer in some areas but most newer small cars remain vulnerable to side impact. Especially when struck by larger vehicles. Take this crash for instance run the 59 into the side of the Malibu. The light weight unitized body on the Malibu would more than likely be a death shroud for it's occupants as the thicker sheet metal and heavy steel X frame of the 59 plowed through like freight train.

Pat

Physics will always come into play � bigger, heavier bodies carry higher inertia loads than smaller ones, and they penetrate more � just like 220 grain 30 caliber bullets vs. 150 FMJ bullets. Good design can mitigate the blow, but the energy has to be absorbed somehow, and crushing is one way.

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Pat

Hi Pat - if I recall correctly, the GM "X" frame was VERY vulnerable to side-impact since there was no steel frame in the area of the doors. The "X" crossed in the middle of the car and offered no protection to the passenger, but it did offer protection to the engine compartment and the rear axle, where it extended to the side. You might be crushed, but the rear axle survived.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyliec

So true

Pat

Conspiracy theories aside, the 'sample of one' test result is supported by the declining trend in MVA death rates....

No conspiracy at all if you think that the wreck in that video was not staged say hello to the Easter bunny for me next time you see him.
Deaths are only part of of the results. Injuries are not declining in fact we are seeing more injuries. This is because,
One cars are safer and some wrecks that would have been fatalities are reduced to injury.
Two cars are lighter and made from materials of questionable strength.
Three some safety equipment on these newer cars actually cause injury.

Pat

_ Mark Twain
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Exactly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
djs You are correct much like some of the older cars built like tanks the car would survive the wreck but occupants died.
Overall newer cars are better and much safer, but in the end none of them are made to be wrecked.

It's just that the newer vehicles lack the cool factor. laugh

Pat

_ Mark Twain
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I hit a moving freight train in the side with a 1975 Chevrolet Bel Air doing about 15 mph. The train was going about 10 mph at right angles to the car. The engineman in the train had no idea he had been T-boned. wink I knew for certain, that I had hit an immoveable object. I walked away from it though. PHEW! Close call. Got to see the colour of the District Police Superintendent's rug over that one. blush

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I remember correctly about wrecks with these old cars when I was younger. Most injuries were from being thrown out or rolled over. Then there was the steering column that would usually harpoon the driver.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So after seeing the results for yourselves, I see that you're still making excuses...I got nothing to work with here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well lets put the engine back in the 59 and try it again. You did notice there was no engine in the 1959 --right??

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
OK, so you believe that today's cars are Soooooo much better built that those of yesteryear.

A 1957 Chevey (or '55 T-bird) is a highly desirable collectable that can be restored to be as good (or better) than it was new.....incuding the original body, frame and engine....because these cars were built to last!!!

Now, can you even imagine that in 2050 something, all your friends will be drooling and saying "What a cool '07 Taurus!!!".....and that the car in question will still have it's original fiberglass, plastic and aluminum parts and engine in original form.

I don't think so......today's cars are made from crap and will last as long as most turds do.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where are photos of the passenger compartment and dummies after impact?

Also to be fair, I think the test would be more iluminating if repeated with the '59 retrofitted with modern seatbelts and perhaps headrests. In that way, we could better gauge the benefits of the hightech innovations.

abusus non tollit usum
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (2500HD, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,428
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.