Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats why you live in Billings, and I don't wink

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last time I needed some "Alone Time" I spent about 4 or 5 months camping. I got out of grad school for teaching, and spent a year in the inner city. I knew it wasn't for me, and the experience left me in need of some major sorting out. I got my tent, pack, and took off. I woke up every morning thinking I'd sort things out, but it dragged on. I'd walk into town, buy groceries, and call home and feel a little irresponsible but I'd feel better walking back into the woods. I've got too many bills to pay to do that now, but I'd like to.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Head for the mountains, might see a little snow if you get some elevation. Hope your pistol permit arrived, be safe and don't forget to take an orange vest if you're going into an area open to any hunting.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, I'm a bit older than I once was, so feel the need to "clear my head" less often. But in my experience, getting to high altitudes serves best. Above 6000 feet minimum. Let it steep for a few days, then move upwards as needed.

Camp alone. Sleep under the stars if you can. If you must bring a dog along, let it be your best one, and only him. If you can sleep above treeline, good; if you can sleep above snowline, better. Get as close to the stars as you can.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the space of the open "road"....in rural Alaska: the big River, (the Yukon). Most of the river allows one to travel as far as they wish in a day and see almost no one, or camp on side flow or even on a bar in the river's middle and have all the alone time one could desire. And nowhere else I know has the unique combination of smells. I'm needing another fix soon.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
preference high mountain ridge, windy a little too cool to be really comfortable till you slip on the insulated jacket. too hard to get to though on short notice.

most times to my cabin, hard to go solo anymore though since the boys are bigger, they always want to go.

but being there by myself and/or in the woods have always been a healing and settling tonic for me.

lucky I can walk out the door and with a 15 minute walk be pretty isolated

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think my best alone time has been a week spent solitary camping in the Sinkyone Wilderness on the Lost Coast of California. Summers it is filled with dopers and whackos, the early spring and late fall are great. In winter it is often closed due to big storms lashing the coast ( the reason why it was never developed). These days it is almost impossible to get solitude in this state. Parts of Big Sur are not bad in the winter.

You can't miss fast enough to win!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I need some alone time or down time, as I like to call it, I either hit the woods, or get in the boat and just go out by my self for a while. There's something very spiritual about a beautiful sunrise on the water with a gentle chop lapping up against the hull of my old Lund, or watching the woods come to life for the beginning of a new day. Unfortunately, the constraints of a busy life don't allow me much "me" time any more. So to those of you who do get the chance to just ditch every day life, if even just for a few hours, don't pass up that opportunity.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
[Linked Image]

I don't have much alone time during the summer, but late fall and winter are a different story.

One of my favorite alone spots is in my darkhouse. I live near the lake I spear the most so I can get here for at least a few hours each week from early December right on through the end of February.

(The print is Les Kouba's 'darkhouse spearing').

Also the deer woods are a great place to spend a day alone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was stationed at Fort Lewis, I would spend my weekends hiking the Wonderland trail around Rainer. I loved it, did the trail a few times while I was there, other than running into other hikers, it was very calming. I love a good hike. There was a small lake that had a campsite, can't remember it to save my life, very primitive, think it just had a fire pit, but that was always my 1st stop. I usually had to break it up into a few legs over a month, (it is 96 miles all the way around IIRC). Cool thing, you can do most of the hiking all year round if you dress and pack smart. When the Army came out with the new sleepin bags, it cut my weight by quite a bit. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Where did you go for down time while at band camp,flute player?

Last edited by isaac; 10/02/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never went to band camp, and I play Trumpet/Coronet, not them little girly things yer Momma made you play. grin Now Bitch, know your role and STFU. Bob's idea of alone time is running into the bathroom and pulling one off into a kleenex now. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Heard "Kleenex" was your nickname at boot camp.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by HoundGirl
Where do you guys go to clear your head for a few days?
Sturgis... Or anywhere with a Harley under my azz...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
YEP....nothing like the calm,quieting sound of a Harley on a peaceful head clearing ride through the countryside.

Am I the only one who thinks the noise those bikes make are obnoxious as Hell. No offense Redneck, as you're one of my faves, but WTF is up with that anyways?

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run them off the road into mail boxes for relaxation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I require LOTS of alone time but since I ain't married it's fairly easy to arrange. I've gone days without ever speaking a word or having one spoken to me, I like that much.

You mean you couldn't find anything to swear at in the absence of others................I sure can! grin

I head to the preserve, throw down some bait and wait to see who comes to dinner............Very peaceful, accept during the rut when things can get quite tense!

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my spot. There is no telling what I will see over the course of a few hours, including elk, deer, coyotes, foxes, red tail hawks, and, recently, a mink. The pictures were taken with a cruddy camera and do not capture the true beauty.

This was taken about 10 days ago.
[Linked Image]

Each day is a new experience. This picture was taken the day after the previous one.

[Linked Image]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will be driving up the road from WA to AK for the 4th time next week: picking up a car. By choice! I just got a CD set of KJV, will have some good company, for being alone!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Thats why you live in Billings, and I don't wink

Ha! Note that I said GOOD company. There just ain't much of that anywhere so I spend a lot of time with just me.

There's bound to be a few good people in The Magic City. grin

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (300_savage, 358WCF, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 29aholic, 10 invisible), 1,314 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,207
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.