Print Thread
Hop To
#3350185 10/01/09
M
mjoe11 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello All-
I just built a large bbq pit/smoker and now I'm in need of some good recipes. Does anyone have some recommendations on how to prepare a brisket or ribs? I've tried ribs twice now and they haven't turned out as well as I was hoping for. The first time I tried them I cooked them meat side up for 3 hours, slathered them in a bbq mop and wrapped them in foil for 2 hours, then finally took them out of the foil for another hour. The second time I tried them I cooked them for 3 hours and then mopped them with bbq again and put them in a tin foil pan and covered them for another 2 hours then ate them.
They just aren't coming out as tender as I was hoping. They are almost a little chewy off the bone. I've heard that the meat needs to pull off the bone about 1/4-1/2 inch before they're done. Does this seem right to anyone? What am I doing wrong?
How about brisket? What's the key to a good brisket? Any good recommendations on rubs or mops for brisket or ribs?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mjoe11,

The first step is to start with good ribs. I like the I.B.P. pork back-ribs from Sam's Club. They are meaty, trimmed well and not injected with water.

Next peel the membrane from the back of the rack. This helps the rub to get in the meat and makes for a better eating rib. Coat the ribs with the dry rub of your choice (many butcher supply houses sell blends in bulk which is much cheaper than the grocery store) on both sides, cover and place in fridge overnight.

Next morning remove the ribs from the fridge and allow them to come up to room temp. Get your smoker up to 225 degrees with the wood of your choice. I like apple, cherry or a mix of the two for pork ribs. Hickory is good but has a bit stronger maybe even harsher flavor.

Place the ribs in the smoker for 2 hours and 15 minutes (this is about all the longer the ribs will take smoke). Have pieces of foil and a spray bottle of apple juice ready. Remove the ribs, place on foil, spray lightly with apple juice and wrap tightly. Place ribs back in smoker at 225 for another 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Remove ribs and allow them to rest in the foil for about 30 minutes before serving with your favorite bbq sauce. The ribs will not be "fall off the bone" as I like to work a little for the meat. If you want "fall off the bone tender" then leave them in for about 3 hours after they have been foiled. Hope you enjoy them.

BTW, what temp are you smoking at, or do you know? It sounds like your smoker is not coming up to temp. After what you described time wise they should be falling to pieces.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need to seek the brethren.
bbq

For ribs, keep the temp stable at 225 is key. A spike in temp can toughen them up. After three hours I add a cup of apple juice to my ribs and wrap them in foil for one hour. I remove from foil, cover with sauce and put back on grill fro 25 min to carmalize.

Some times a poor cut of meat is just tough.

Last edited by petr; 10/01/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough ribs need more time on the pit. Also, don't be afraid to kick that pit to 250/275.....you using charcoal or sticks?

All American

All the time
M
mjoe11 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the advice BOWHUNR! My smoker is getting up to 225 as far as I know. I have two thermometers mounted on the lid, but maybe I'll stick an oven thermometer on the rack to be sure. Also, I see you're from Omaha. I'm currently working in Omaha Mon-Fri. Where do you go to get your charcoal and wood? Is there a place around that specializes in smokers?

Thanks,

Matt

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get my wood and rubs at Hobart Sales 10905 Harrison Street in La Vista. They sell all types of butchering supplies and they also sell smokers. I'm not sure I'd say they specialize in them though. Try their rib rub #4030. I think you'll like it.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjoe11
My smoker is getting up to 225 as far as I know. I have two thermometers mounted on the lid, but maybe I'll stick an oven thermometer on the rack to be sure.

Not unusual for me to see a 40 degree difference between the temp at the top of the smoker and the grate. If you get an oven thermometer you'll have to open the cooker to check it, a bit of a no no that will alter the temp. Get one of remote thermometers like this.

Redicheck thermometer

You can also take the remote with you so you can monitor while watching the game or in the workshop.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here is an excellent site for smoking meat.

I have used several of his recipes for brisket, spare ribs, and pork shoulder. Outstanding taste.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
My smoker is getting up to 225 as far as I know. I have two thermometers mounted on the lid, but maybe I'll stick an oven thermometer on the rack to be sure.

Not unusual for me to see a 40 degree difference between the temp at the top of the smoker and the grate. If you get an oven thermometer you'll have to open the cooker to check it, a bit of a no no that will alter the temp. Get one of remote thermometers like this.

Redicheck thermometer

You can also take the remote with you so you can monitor while watching the game or in the workshop.

100% correct. Re-calibrate your temp gauges. To Allen's point grate versus dome temps can vary by 50 degrees. Regardless stay low up until 140 internal meat temps.

You're doing everything right Joe. The results should be right on. Just curious--how far off the bone is the rib meat pulled back? Should be about a 1/4-1/2 inch of bone tip exposed. Also if you are using Spares I'd suggest cutting down to a St Louis style cut if you're not.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

M
mjoe11 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Pugs

Redicheck thermometer

100% correct. Re-calibrate your temp gauges. To Allen's point grate versus dome temps can vary by 50 degrees. Regardless stay low up until 140 internal meat temps.

You're doing everything right Joe. The results should be right on. Just curious--how far off the bone is the rib meat pulled back? Should be about a 1/4-1/2 inch of bone tip exposed. Also if you are using Spares I'd suggest cutting down to a St Louis style cut if you're not.

byc,
What do you mean "re-calibrate your temp guages"? Are you simply advising that I get a rack thermometer or is there something I can do with the thermometers I already have mounted on my lid?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

byc,
What do you mean "re-calibrate your temp guages"? Are you simply advising that I get a rack thermometer or is there something I can do with the thermometers I already have mounted on my lid?

All I can think you might do is get your smoker up to the most common temp you use (for me 225) and stick your oven thermometer on the grate and let it get up to temp and note the difference between that and your top thermo and manually account for it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pugs
Would that be recalculating your brain?
Randy smile

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by medicman
Pugs
Would that be recalculating your brain?
Randy smile

Well, I call it the Mk1.mod.0 eyeball calibration but brain calibration works grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not a pitmaster and foil pans are my best friend when trying to make a smoker out of my large Coleman propane grill. I use foil a bread pan, that I punch holes in the bottom of, to hold the hickory chips. I fire the three burner grill to 450 with the hickory pan over an end burner. I use baby back ribs with the membrane left on and a rub on both sides. When the grill reaches 450, I place the slab, membrane side down, over the burner farthest from the hickory. I close the lid and bring back to 450. When at 450, I turn the burner off under the slab and the center burner. I turn the other burner to it's lowest setting, and use it to keep my temp to 225-275. After two hours I start spraying with apple juice. I cook until the slab is limber. I never use BBQ sauce on the grill, it is served at the table. I can't comment on the foil wrapping, other than I don't think that any of the famous KC BBQ joints do that. I have never tried it, other than after cooking, and I may be missing something. Good luck.

M
mjoe11 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Has anyone experimented with or hear anything about Lilac wood for smoking? I have a friend that just ripped out a huge lilac bush and I was thinking about using it in my smoker? Suggestions?

-Matt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It might be bitter, but worth a try. I do know that you have to be a little careful what you wish for. I had a coworker from a farm family that took care of their own meat with all the tools and a walk-in cooler. They butchered a 1200# steer and left it to hang two weeks in the cooler with a small pan of smoking hickory. My buddy said that he never got so tired of hickory flavored steak and roasts and hamburger and soup.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like to use the pork country style ribs. I use the 3-2-1 method. I put on a nice rub. Smoker at 225 and smoke for 3 hours, in foil for 2 and then 1 hour out on the smoker or off the rack but still in foil and in a cooler to finish cooking. I will occasionaly make a mop with cider vinegar and spices if they are as fat or marbled as I would like.

Once you get smoking down family usually starts to show up if you are smoking pork, chicken or turkey. Or the famous ABT's

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 22250rem, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 47 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,691
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.