-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our choices at the moment are to leave, or let our boys sit there and get killed off as we wait for another administration.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 28lx

We should have finished the job with enough troops when we started it. How many years after being liberated would you like to drive through checkpoints? We stay to long and become occupiers instead of liberators. Send enough troops from the start to get the job done and get out. We have a great military that can accomplish great things let them do it.

You are right and we are now paying the price for fighting 2 wars with a small military. Our force is stretched, long term military personnel are tired of deploying, and our citizens are finding it harder and harder to care. If we increase the size of our presence, the force will become more stressed. If we don't increase the size of the force, we may well just continue to tread water. If we pull out, I have no doubt that Afghanistan will be again taken over by the Taliban and Al Qaida will pay the dollars the Taliban want and need to turn Afghanistan into the Islamo-Fascist version of the National Training Center. To me, the answer is to double the size of our military. However, ratcheting up the level of any war effort after 8 years is a tough row to hoe.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Too much has been asked of too few and our equipment has taken a tremendous toll, too.

I'm for small units, laser them in and bomb the #%&* out of them.

Make the very name "American" strike total fear in them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slasher

Too much has been asked of too few and our equipment has taken a tremendous toll, too.

I'm for small units, laser them in and bomb the #%&* out of them.

Make the very name "American" strike total fear in them.
Yep. As the song goes, we need to make people fear the very thought, once again, of tugging on Superman's cape or pulling the mask off old Lone Ranger. Rewarding them with nation building at US Tax Payer expense somehow has not quite had that effect. What a mystery.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by 28lx

We should have finished the job with enough troops when we started it. How many years after being liberated would you like to drive through checkpoints? We stay to long and become occupiers instead of liberators. Send enough troops from the start to get the job done and get out. We have a great military that can accomplish great things let them do it.

You are right and we are now paying the price for fighting 2 wars with a small military. Our force is stretched, long term military personnel are tired of deploying, and our citizens are finding it harder and harder to care. If we increase the size of our presence, the force will become more stressed. If we don't increase the size of the force, we may well just continue to tread water. If we pull out, I have no doubt that Afghanistan will be again taken over by the Taliban and Al Qaida will pay the dollars the Taliban want and need to turn Afghanistan into the Islamo-Fascist version of the National Training Center. To me, the answer is to double the size of our military. However, ratcheting up the level of any war effort after 8 years is a tough row to hoe.

Expat

Peace with honor. lol

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
you canucks can cut and run any time you want Brian.

The Canadians are there? What side are they on?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pull our troops out and turn the place into a glass parking lot. Close our borders and quit trying to be the police force for the whole world. We need to concentrate on taking care of our own business, not sticking our nose in somebody elses. Any terrorist action that takes place on American soil needs to be dealt with by nuking whatever country they came from. I guarantee if that happened one time we'd be left alone.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It was time to leave when we let Bin Laden escape.

Exactly...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
you canucks can cut and run any time you want Brian.

The Canadians are there? What side are they on?

The side they are always on...OURS! Even if they don't 100% agree with us they are there next to us dying and bleeding like "we" do.

Cheap shot Cole.imo

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
ColeYounger writes - The Canadians are there? What side are they on? [/quote]

That's real f-----g funny!

Especially when we Canadians are aware of the fact - we've been fighting - and dying - at a higher rate (population considered) than ANYONE over there - including the USA.

I might remind you - CANADA is over there - because AMERICA was attacked.

Does being ignorant come naturally to you - or do you have to work at it?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BCBrian

Does being ignorant come naturally to you - or do you have to work at it?

I'm thinking it's a combination of both from what I've read of him...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I have three questions weighing on my mind about this issue, after reading the article below.

1. Why, after 8 years, is Taliban support grown so much?

2. Are the non-Taliban Afghanis willing to stand up to the extremists within their own country?

3. Should any war be continued with only 40% of the populace back home supporting it?

Brian:

As to number 1: The Afghanis hate us more than they hate the Taliban. Don't be fooled by the English-speaking shopkeepers that CNN keep trotting out to say how much they enjoy having Western soldiers there protecting them. English-speaking shopkeepers represent only a tiny, miniscule fraction of the population. Most Afghanis are illiterate, devout and live in the middle of freaking nowhere. They hate us because we are not Afghani, just as they hated the Russians and the Brits before them. They will always hate us. They use their children as shields, and when those children are older they will use their children as shields, too. That's how much they hate us.

As to number 2: No. Why, and be killed? (Those English-speaking shopkeepers are dead meat as soon as we move out of there, by the way.)

As to number 3: Yes. You can't prosecute a war with newspaper polls driving strategy.

- Tom

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mr. BCBrian-----Those sorts of comments (by CY) don't reflect the appreciation and respect most of us South of the border hold regarding your folks' commitment and friendship.

I am proud to have Canada as a neighbor and enjoy greatly, my time up north with such good and decent people....even if your coins are a little loony (pun intended).

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Propping up an unpopular government never works.

That's a fact proven by history.

Can the situation be turned around? I don't know, that's the $100,000 question.

Would I be willing to try? absolutely.

What do I think our chances of success are? Below 50/50.

The big problem is the natives don't give a schit. I'm afraid without their support, no government will last over there, no matter what we do.

Decisive leadership could be the difference and we sure don't have that.

JM.

P.S. Thank you to our Canadian Neighbors who have been there when the chips were down. We appreciate it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We should NEVER enter into another War of any kind. None at all... As long as we are forced to be Politically Correct by the World, but even more importantly, by our own Citizens, we will NEVER win another War.
Japan fell and gave up because, WE WERE NOT Politically correct back then.
My feelings are that if "correctness" is important to you, be quiet, stay at home, live with the consequenses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why, after 8 years, is Taliban support grown so much?

It's not grown, it's migrated. It's pretty damn dangerous to be Taliban in Iraq right now.

Are the non-Taliban Afghanis willing to stand up to the extremists within their own country?

Yes, with the right support they will take their own country back. It happened in Iraq and it's about to hit the fan in Yemen.

Should any war be continued with only 40% of the populace back home supporting it?

Popular support is not a reason to alter an accurate vision and course of action. Stay the course, give the natives the tools and training to claim their country and build their future. Politicians who use polls to determine their actions are useless.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If our government lacks the will to win this war then we need to get out now. I will personally blame BO for every service person that is wounded or dies while he is deciding what to do.
The fallacy that BO is reassessing the situation makes it obvious that he has no plan for this war. This request for more troops surely was no surprise to BO as he wants us to believe. Can you even imagine having a loved one die in this war and then BO orders an immediate withdrawal?

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure. Why not? BHO has officially given up. Might as well fight them in D.C.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Karnis
Might as well fight them in D.C.

At least there (DC) some of the offenders would be brought to justice. Better than watching innocent folks die in Manhattan or PA. As long as it is contained only to the district....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Is it time to leave Afghanistan?"
I say no.
Even though it is a tough situation, I feel we owe it to the people we are trying to help and to our(American AND Canadian) soldiers that have died there to stay and win it...somehow.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10ring1, 222ND, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,568
Posts18,531,885
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.