Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Remington CDL in 7mm-08, it's been bedded, trigger lightened and a Zeiss scope on it. I have shot Factory loads of 139gr Hornady Interlocks into about 1.5" @ 100yds and went hunting. I liked the way the Hornady performed on deer so I figured I would load some up, here is the problem.
I have loaded several different grains of Varget and the best one groups a lil over 1/2" then slings the next one.
I tried Accubonds and they shot about 1.5" also but I like the Interlocks and prefer to use them and don't wann buy more powder.
Do ya think I need to open up the barrel channel more or play with the seating depth?I have em now where they will just fit into the magazine.

Sorry for the long post,I'm a new reloader and tryin to learn more.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 7-08 doesn't like varget. It shoots much better with IMR4007 and better yet with h4350. I guess without changing powders you could try seating depth changes or bullets.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Rem 700 CDL in 7-08 likes Ramshot Big Game and the 120 grain Ballistic Tip. Three shots this past week gave me three antelope from 120 to 400 yards. I like it a lot. It also shoots 140s with IMR 4350 quite well.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first question is, how many groups have you shot with the best load combo? It matters if this happens every time.

Secondly, how far does it "sling" one out? And how many shot are you shooting for a group?

You may have an insignificant, non-issue, or it might be something that can be easily corrected. Your powder and bullet choices seem quite okay based on what I've seen in my -08s. However, there are a great many other powders and bullets which also work well in this case.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
+1

Also, when I got my new 7-08, I went straight to H-414 powder, 140 grain Nosler Partitions, and Federal 210 primers. My 7x57's love that combo. I use 47 grains of H414 for the 7x57's, so I dropped the powder charge back to 45.0 grains for the 7-08. My first range outing with the 7-08, after zeroing the scope, the rifle shot 3 shots into a 1/2" group. I was using a 20x scope for load developing, and switched over to a VX-3, 1.5-5x for hunting.
H-414 is THE best powder for that class of rifles, and 140 grain bullets.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what everyone has said! it could be powder, seating depth, or both or maybe if your barrel is too hot....

somebody remind me is it if you have two together and one off seat the bullet deeper, if they are all out seat the bullet out further...?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might try checking the OAL of the factory Hornady's. Then buy a box of the 139 grain interlock bullets, and load some up with varying powder charges (obviously working up) and with the same OAL as the factory rounds. Find the sweet spot with the powder charge you like, and then start killing things.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In my experience when I have a load that is really tight and then I have a "Flyer" it ussually means that I am really close to finding the right load. the only thing that I usually mess with at this point is the seating depth and the groups come in nicely after that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All good advice. H414 has worked well in my son's, especially with 120 B-tips.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
My first question is, how many groups have you shot with the best load combo? It matters if this happens every time.

Secondly, how far does it "sling" one out? And how many shot are you shooting for a group?

I've only shot 2 3 shot groups but both sling the 3rd about 2-3" to the right both times. I moved up in grains by .5 grains up to what Hodgon calls max and groups got way worse with each increase. Maybe I should go down by .5gr and see what it does.

I could hunt with what it does now but I really expected this gun to be a shooter and so far I have tried 140gr accubonds and the 139gr Hornady. The Accubond did not do well at all and I had a experienced handloader help me with those using several types of powders and seating depths. The Factory loaded Hornady 139's grouped about 1.5" @ 100yds but I don't remember it slinging one like the handloads do. Maybe I'm being to picky but this is the only gun I have that has yet to shoot at least a 1" 3 shot groups.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's obviously poor QC on Remingtons part. I can't imagine how they would let that get out of the factory...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What is poor QC???

My 7-08's like H4895. H414 is another good one.

Aim for the exit hole.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why do I always see this a guy says I have these bullets that don't shoot but I would prefer to use them and I have this powder that don't shoot worth a damn but I would prefer not having to buy more. What is wrong with my rifle.

Bottom line is if people are not willing to try every avenue with reloading to get a rifle to shoot then they should either shoot factory ammo or load up a load based on the book and run it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
From the sounds of it you had the barrel free-floated. They do not always stay free-floated afterward, especially with a wlanut stock. You might check to see if the barrel is now closer to the channel, or even touching it.

Somebody already mentioned Ramshot Big Game as a powder, but I have also had excellent luck with it as well in the 7mm-08.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does it always throw the flyer in the same direction? If so, try shooting two shots quickly and then try running a dollar bill down the barrel channel between the barrel and the stock. It should be clear all the way if you've free floated the barrel. If the pressure point is still in the rifle, check and see (by the wear marks) if the pressure is under the barrel or to one side.

You might try this, make some washers out of card stock (biz cards) and put a couple on the screws between the stock and the receiver and tighten things down. You are in effect free floating by a good bit or pillar bedding the rifle. Try some shots like that. If you have left the pressure point in the stock and the stock isn't touching anywhere except at the point, try adding a beer can shim or two on top of the pressure point. (Hold them in place with tape, you can epoxy them in later if they work). And shoot a few groups like that.
Usually lateral stringing is bedding; vertical stringing is powder (or is it the other way around smile ) But you've got a lot of good suggestions in here. Just try them one at a time so's when you find your solution, you'll know what it was that fixed your problem. And then come back and tell us. smile

I do agree with Heavywalker. There are a myriad of excellant hunting bullets out there to where a fellow isn't tied to some whiz bang supposed magic bullet. Some rifles just don't like some bullets.

Last edited by stillbeeman; 10/10/09.

Aim for the exit hole.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Heavywalker, the reason I don't wanna buy more powder is price. Nowhere close to me has powder that has been suggested and I don't wanna pay the Hazardous fee to order some if I can make it shoot with what I have.
I understand some guns just don't like certain bullets and powders, I'm new but not ignorant. I liked the way the 139's performed on deer and just figured I could get them to shoot better if I handloaded is all. I don't think anything is wrong with the rifle other than me shooting it...lol
I'm not saying I won't try another bullet and powder I just wanted to try and get some suggestions on what to do with what I have on hand. I'm gonna check out everything and shoot some Monday.

Stillbeeman, yes it always throw one to the right.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Remington I know where you are comming from I was just trying to make a point. I didn't want to come across like a jerk, but I see this all the time not just on here but everywhere. If you can make what you have work by all means do so, but don't think that just because you can't get it to work doesn't mean something else will not.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Okay, has the barrel been free floated? Try some of the stuff I (and others) have mentioned. It does sound like something is touching when the barrel warms up.

If you fire a 5 shot group, where does the fourth and fifth shot fall?

FYI, the 139 Horn is a very good deer bullet.

Last edited by stillbeeman; 10/10/09.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
hi remington,,,i shoot a remington bdl in 7-08vt with 140 grain accubonds,38.5 grains rl-15,cci 200 lrp,coal at 2.810 and i get 3/8 inch at 100 yards with 5 shot groups,,,154 grain hornady #2830 interlock and 162 grain btsp #2845 shoot fantastic 5 shot groups at 100 at 5/8 inch,,,i would say try a heavier bullet and see if that works,,,every gun is different,,,hey remington,,,i have all the equipment to bring my bullet closer to the lands,col gauge,comparaters,modified cases for every caliber i shoot and i find that going by saami's set col with that bullet and powder that if your not satisfied,try a different bullet or powder until your satisfied,,,reloading is not cheep,,,however i have not bought a box of factory loaded ammo in 16 years and shoot at the range 4 times a week with reloads,,,it don't get better than that,,,good luck with your rifle,,,,,,,,we are only trying to help,,,,joe

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I am using W-760 with 140 gr. Ballistic Tips. Getting very tight groups, I did have flyer problems, till I realized that my synthetic stock had warped slightly. Got it straightened out, and perfection ensued.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,147
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.