Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JVinAK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I shot a pretty nice moose and now have its head hanging in my garage. It looks big to me, so out of curiosity I got the measuring instructions off of the Boone and Crocket website to see if he made "book". I calculated him out to be somewhere between 215 and 220 depending on how some of the points would be treated, etc. It is unlikely that I will ever officially measure him.

Anyway, in looking at the Boone and Crocket website, it would appear that he is eligible for the "award" level or some such but not to go into their more official record book which starts at 224. Even at my most optimistic, I can't believe he'd get there.

So - does that still count as a "book" moose? Until I actually looked, I didn't have any idea that there were two levels.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
yes, there is an "awards" category that recognizes the trophy for one year. then there is the "all time" that are recognized in the all time record book. of course, the awards has a lower minimum score requirement than the all timers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have only entered two critters in B&C and one is an "Awards Book" entry, while the other is all-time. Another I killed was entered and is number 69 in its category... I have another 10 deer here that have been measured for B&C and were large enough for the Awards, 7, and all-time, 3. Also have a caribou here that has been measured and is plenty big enough for the all-time book at 407+.

I call any critter big enough for the Awards book a Booner...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Post up a picture, I'm thinking most would find it to be one of helluva moose, either way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with Scorpion as I'd love to see a pic as well.

As to whether or not you wish to call it a booner is totally up to you. My way of thinking is that if it aint all time then it's not a booner.

I feel that for the most part the awards or whatever they call is a way for them to raise money via peoples ego. But, that's just my way of thinking and don't have to be anyone elses. Bottom line, if it makes the grade and it turns your crank to enter it then powder river let er buck and get it done! You've only yourself to make happy...grin

I'm more into whether or not a hunt was a booner in terms of fun than in terms of what the animal scored.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 10/15/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

J
JVinAK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
OK, I'll give this image stuff a try:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JVinAK; 10/15/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet moose.Here's a just made the book 185 Canada moose.

His claim to fame are the rather large bases.Very old moose rack all rounded off [Linked Image] .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dunno about booner, but he's a bigun for sure.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
JVinAK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yeah, I've never actually tried to measure something before, so I find the instructions a bit confusing. For example, you'll see on the left (as you look at it) antler, that the first tine above the brow has a fork in it. I read the instructions to mean that is an abnormal point and so a deduct. Which I find somewhat amusing, as I think I like it better that way. The tops of his palms are rounded a bit, and so the points up there get a little cloudy too. The photo is a bit poor for getting a good look at them. The exact angle to use to measure from top to bottom I also found confusing. Hence the range of possible scores I posted.

While I was on B&C's website looking for this, I checked out the caribou measuring instructions - if I was confused by the moose, I would probably go nuts trying to figure those out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The way I see it, who cares if he is a "booner"? That moose looks SWEET! Those tines look pretty neat. Congrats.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Who cares if he books! I'll take him! He's a beauty! shocked grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
JVinAK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Don't get me wrong - I don't care if he is book one way or the other either and he won't be entered mostly because I just don't care to deal with inconvenience of getting him officially scored. I posted because the two award levels confused me - I've gone through life referring to "book" animals without apparently knowing what that actually meant.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He is a dandy moose and an obvious shooter, but no way he will come close to book... The atypical point you noticed eliminates any chance. But he is worthy!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

I'm more into whether or not a hunt was a booner in terms of fun than in terms of what the animal scored.

Dober

AMEN.

Great going JV - that's a DANDY!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
JVinAK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Atypical point - I included a deduction in my calculation. The B&C instructions merely ask for the number of atypical points. Not the length. Are you supposed to deduct the length of the whole thing or something? If so, that would definately eliminate him from either level. But if you deduct the length of abnormal points, then shouldn't you be adding the length of all the normal points, where the score merely asks for the number of them?

Like I wasn't confused about scoring before!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put the tape away and crack a cold one. You've earned it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't know if he's a booner, but it'd give me a boner to see it on a hunt.

Heck of Bull, congrats.

Camp is where you make it.
J
JVinAK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yeah, after carying him out, I felt like I earned him. I got him in an area that required leaving the bone in the quarters, so no boning on them allowed. Painful (but worth it).

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's a fantastic bull! booner in my book...

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
B-E-A-utiful Bull!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (10gaugemag, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 12 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 798 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,216
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.