Hop To
R
RandyS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DEERHUNTER58
HAVE WHAT I THINK IS A 1920 BUT IT HAS NO MARKINGS OTHER THAN PATENT DATES AND HIGH PRESSURE 250-3000 MARKINGS. MOTHER OF PEARL MEDALLION ON BOTTOM OF PISTOL GRIP AREA, S/N? 2925. GOING BY WHAT FEW PICS I HAVE FOUND ONLINE.DONT HAVE IT WITH ME RIGHT NOW FOR MORE INFO BUT COULD TOMOROW. ANY HELP?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~123m1920/pic_files/DeerHunter3/LEFT.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~123m1920/pic_files/DeerHunter3/LOOP ON BARREL.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~123m1920/pic_files/DeerHunter3/RIGHT.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~123m1920/pic_files/DeerHunter3/SN ON SIDE.jpg[/img]

GB1

R
RandyS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats a hell of a rear sight, any markings on the sight?

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
interesting sight and what appears to be some form of a sling mount.... someone really customized that thing up... too bad about the condition of the metal... really a neat gun!!

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It does not have the top line of the address stamped on the barrel? Any out of country proof marks?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
SAYS MANUFACTURED BY SAVAGE ARMS CORP. UTICA N.Y U.S.A.
MARCH 28 1916 DEC. 26 1916 JUNE 17 1919
NO MARKINGS ON REAR RAMP SIGHT
FRONT RING FOR SLING IS DOVETAILED INTO THE BARELL- DO YOU THINK SOMEONE WOULD GO TO THAT EXTENT TO CUSTOMIZE? WILL SEND PICS OF BUTT AND MAYBE CLEARER PICS WHEN I GET BACK FROM S.C. DEER HUNTING(NOT WITH THIS GUN)THANKS FOR THE HELP IM NOT REALLY A COLLECTOR I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS AND A 1890 WINCHESTER 22 SHORT FROM AN OLD GUY WHO PASSED. ALSO HAVE SAVAGE BULLETS 250-3000 AND 300

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would think that rifle could tell some good stories. I was struck by how deeply that front sling dovetail is cut into the barrel shocked I have never seen a rear sight like that one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell me the bore is mirror and the rifle shoot super groups at 500 yds. and I'll bite...

"What do I have?"

A truly interesting find! smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That fancy "sling mount" looks familiar to me.

I had a .22 in the shop to line the barrel that had a similar thing, though not exactly the same. The rear mount was much like a modern tape measure. You pulled out as much as you wanted and attached it to the front "swivel". If you didn't want a sling, you unhooked it from the front and let it retract back into the butt.

Aftermarket. No manufacturer's name.

Doug

An armed society is a polite society.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That makes since. When I blew the photo up it looked like the stock was hollowed out in that area. Good info, thanks! smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that some one on this forum had one of those aftermarket slings that he either bought or sold on fleabay.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen an ad for them somewhere. Can't remember if it was Shooter's Bible or Gun Digest or somewhere else. I'll have to do some research and try to find it. Don't hold your breath though as I'm a true procrastinator. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have seen a couple 22's with retractable slings. My cousin had a very cheap old beater 22 with one, he wanted to sell me 2(?) years ago. Not a Savage and only thing interesting was the sling so I passed.

Bruce
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I remember the 22's and have owned a few neat idea on that rifle this looks much better made the screws are timed and the stock which looks factory to me has the most figure of any 1920 I have seen I would start with a factory letter before I did anything.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
I think that some one on this forum had one of those aftermarket slings that he either bought or sold on fleabay.

Mike
Rgr had one similar i believe.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ive seen those slings on german made double shotguns ,and Drillings there actually pretty nice. I would go for a factory letter also its quite a unique model 20. Don

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Those retractabel slings have been around for ions..That one is pretty fancy and appealing IMO..

The wood would be Deluxe grade on one of todays rifles, but was probably just good luck on the buyers part back then..

I always liked the Sav. M-20s and have lusted for one for years in 250 Savage caliber..I really like that gun, its nice, a bit different and has been monkied with a good deal, but well done. I could sure live with it if it shot well.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I wonder why the stock looks in such good condition but all the steel photos looked pitted and rusty?

I saw a Model 20 in a gun shop in Napa Ca about three years back. The metal looked good but someone had replaced the original stock with a monstrosity hacked out of poor grade lumber.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
THE GUN IS IN MIAMI, FL. IN A CLOTH GUN CASE FOR MANY YEARS AND I GUESS THE HUMIDITY GOT TO IT. MOSTLY SURFACE RUST. SHOULD I TRY TO CLEAN IT WHEN I CLEAN THE BORE? I'M GOING TO TRY TO LOCATE SOME MODERN BULLETS AND SHOOT IT, I HAVE SOME OLD ONES IN ORIGINAL PKG BUT DONT WANT TO SHOOT THEM, AS BOTH OF MY EYES AND HANDS ARE WORKING FINE AT THIS TIME

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe

Barkeater had a 99 at the NY fest this year with that type of sling arrangement. The butt was hollowed out and a slot cut through the stock with ebony inlays front and rear of the slot to dress it up. The sling had a closed loop on the end and the front of the rifle had a sling eye on it with a slot cut into the forward part of the eye. When you attatched the sling to the eye it would stay put. But when you wanted to return the sling to the stock, you'd lift up and pull forward and out it would come. Really slick. Maybe, just maybe, someone from NY could post a picture of it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,560
Posts18,510,616
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.