Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ive got a Kimber 8400 300WSM that has been accurized by hill country. When I got it back I shot a couple groups to make sure it was sighted in, and then I just hunted with it. It shot 165gr Fusions into tiny little holes. Last week I took it back out and it shot 4 3-shot groups between 1.5-2 MOA at 100 yards. It ticked me off but I though maybe it was me. Shot the gun yesterday at 100 and the first shot was 7 inches low but perfect horizontally. Next 2 shots I have no idea where they hit. Wasnt even on paper. Got a bigger target and shot once. 14 inches high and just a little left. WTH. Im thinking it has to be the scope, or the mounts. Im planning on making sure the mounts and rings are tight, and if that doesn't work Im gonna try a different scope. Is there anything else I should look at? The stock screws seem tight and there doesn't seem to be any movement between the action and stock.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even the best scopes go bad once in awhile, and they usually let go pretty fast.

`Bring Enough Gun`
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your shooting Talley L/W's make sure there not broke from over tightening. It's been happening alot lately....
This is not my photo but one I got off another sight.
[Linked Image]

randy..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, it's frustrating when they spray for no apparent reason. Crystal ball time.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
how did you tighten your rings??? with the little allen wrench they supplied or something else!!!

the erector system in Leupolds do fail...put another scope on it and try it again...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everything you've posted points to the rings and/or scope...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I didn't touch anything when I got it back from hill country. The scope sits in Leupy rings and bases. Its not noticable loose, but that doesn't say much. It the wrings and bases are tight, should I just throw a different scope on it, or remount the same scope first to verify its not the rings and bases.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the rings and bases are tight and truly good to go, I'd mount up a different scope and see what gives. Rifles can tear apart scopes, especially something as light and snorty as a Kimber 300 WSM.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would also check the action screws to make sure that recoil or vibration hasn't caused them to loosen up...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Kimber and Leupold accuracy gone to hell

I think it's more like Kimber gone to hell, an all to frequent story.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Typical... wouldn't want to strain yourself actually thinking.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SU35
Kimber and Leupold accuracy gone to hell

I think it's more like Kimber gone to hell, an all to frequent story.

Umm... No... The gun shot great when I got it. Sent it to Hill Country because the stock was moving in the action and the groups opened up a bit after 150 rounds. I just wanted them to look at it and give me an opinion. They bedded it (something that all rifles should have done to them IMO), and sent it back shooting sub 3/4 groups. I shot 3, 3/4 groups and quit. I went to shoot 2 weeks ago and the gun opened up to 1.5 MOA groups. Now its shooting 2 foot groups. I fail to see where that could be the gun!! It went from 3/4 MOA to 1.5 MOA, to 2 foot MOA in about 15 rounds!! Interesting thing about Kimbers. Had a guy in my deer camp with a 270WSM Montana. He was complaining that he couldn't get the gun to shoot less then 2 MOA and almost sold it. I told him to have the scope profesionally mounted, and adjust the trigger (he was complaining about that too). That same gun he was complaining about now shoots sub MOA and is his favorite gun. Now please, lets not turn this into a Kimber pissing contest. I love my gun!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When something like that happens to me, I usually start from scratch. I take the rifle out of the stock, check the bedding, check to make sure nothing is touching, etc, and work my way out. I take the bases off and re-mount them (with a bit of fingernail polish), and then re-mount the scope. Maybe another scope if you've got one with a proven track record.
Oh, while you've got it out of the stock is a good time to clean the bore down to the metal. Be sure and use a good copper cleaner--Butches Bore Shine is one --, a one piece rod, and a bore guide. Of course, clean from the receiver end.

Aim for the exit hole.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I want you to love the gun and I'm not trying to dis a brand!

I have two good hunting partners who post here at the Fire
who shoot Kimbers. Both of them have accuracy fits with their Kimbers. One of them sent their rifle to Hill Country to get it worked on far more extensive than you did. Came back shooting great them went to hell. It wasn't the scope.
btw, both his Kimbers cause him fits.

Take it for what it's worth cause I could really care less.

Just making note of what I see all to frequent.

Change out the scope, rings and mounts and see what happens.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SU35
I want you to love the gun and I'm not trying to dis a brand!

I have two good hunting partners who post here at the Fire
who shoot Kimbers. Both of them have accuracy fits with their Kimbers. One of them sent their rifle to Hill Country to get it worked on far more extensive than you did. Came back shooting great them went to hell. It wasn't the scope.
btw, both his Kimbers cause him fits.

Take it for what it's worth cause I could really care less.

Just making note of what I see all to frequent.

Change out the scope, rings and mounts and see what happens.

Just curious. What was wrong with you buddies Kimber after it went to hell?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's what he would like to know and he CAN shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard a few stories of Kimbers coming off the line as a basket case. But I have never heard of the wheels coming off of one that came out shooting and functioning well. Usually they are tough as pine knots in terms of holding up to abuse.

I'll second the suspicion of the scope coming unglued. I'd give the stock a thorough look as well.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If one identifies the problem then you will rest easier after changing the cause.

I suggest testing one thing at a time. I bring screwdrivers with me to the range each time and I check mount screws right there.

Of the 8 extra scopes here one has duct tape on it and its written: "poor groups, 7mm WSM, 8/10/09" Its a 4X12 VARI-X IIc.

After the season I will test it on another rifle.

I like my Kimbers. They have similar quality to other rifles with lighter weight.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I agree as far as a Kimber shooting fine, then going nuts. The stock warping on a wood-stocked gun is all that I could see producing that. I'd check the scope pronto. Put on a known good one and don't overtighten the rings. Please let us know what happens as I have owned 2 Kimbers and am curious as to what you find. Good thing is wiht Leupold, they will make it right!
Jed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any rifle can be off. Not just Kimber.

The 7mm WSM that had the suspect 4-12 on it is a M70 Classic!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.