Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3399469 10/19/09
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Im thinking of purchasing a Jarret Rifle in .243 . I have a buddy who is great friends with Kenny and can get me a great deal. What are your opinions of this rifle and are there other rifles I should concider along the same lines?

Last edited by Ruger270man; 10/19/09.

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Im thinking of purchasing a Jarret Rifle in .243 . I have a buddy who is great friends with Kenny and can get me a great deal. What are your opinions of this rifle and are there other rifles I should concider along the same lines?

If owning a Jarrett rifle means that much to you then by all means buy it. There are however more alternatives to that rifle then can be posted here without crashing the server and all will be at the max 1/2 the cost.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't see having that kind of money wrapped up in a .243, but that's just me and my opinion.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Ruger270man

Is there such a thing on a Jarrett?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't get it, thousands of dollars for a rifle, make from the same stuff as a BIC lighter.....Lots of guns in that $$$ range that will hold more value down the road....my 2 cents worth

Last edited by rifle; 10/19/09.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK i dont know anything about Jarret thats why I am asking. From the sound of it looks like it's an over priced piece of plastic. What are some gun manufactures that would hold there value down the road? Would something like a Griffen & Howe be a better option? All ideas & opinions would be helpful & appreciated. I would like something in the .243 caliber.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
overpriced yes but is quality rifles.It has to depend on how good the deal is you might be getting it for a price even with others.So find out the deal you can get before discounting this option

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

If you can get a Jarrett at a price comparable to other name builders, I would jump on it.

What's comparable? Well, to me that is $2500-3000. About the price of a NULA, Rifles Inc. etc.

For me, beyond $3000 I'd have to think twice. Others may have a higher pain threshold.

But, if you get a smoking deal you can always peddle it later if your wants change.

I'd get a 270/280. The 243 has too many limitations.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If .243 is your game plan,then look at the many Winchester pre-64 model 70's,featherweights,varmints,standard or Super Grades.You can shoot,or hunt with them, own then awhile,then sell them and get your money back or even make a little.Same with Savage 99's,Mannlichers,so on...

Kenny builds a great gun for his "niche" market,but at 5 thousand plus there are other options....and I will be the last to fault a fellow for his choice in women,guns or dogs..

If you can haul that load....do it!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cal74
I can't see having that kind of money wrapped up in a .243, but that's just me and my opinion.

+1

Or any caliber he makes for that matter. I have shot one of his beanfield rifles before. 3/4 @ 100 with handloads.

Not impressed with that one, especially for the $5,300 my buddy paid for it.

Over rated, Over priced and Over hyped. IMHO.

JM.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well, I've had several rifles built up for a lot less. Even the new Savage rifles I've put together myself will do as well as any super custom jobs from top makers. You can build a new Savage action up from ready made high end parts for about $1,400 at retail, not including the scope. Or look at Coopers, a lot of gun for the money.

But if you want to purchase a heirloom rifle, or spend a lot of bucks why no get one of these?

www.johnrigbyandco.com/html/AfricanExpressBoltRifle.html

The light rifle can be had starting at $18,500, in 270 to 375 H&H, and the African Express Rifle starts at $33,500. Go to the "Stocks" page ( www.johnrigbyandco.com/html/stocks.html ) and see what a real rifle is supposed to look like, exhibition English or Turkish walnut - oh my! Why they even fit the stock to you. That way the rifle in the pickup rack can be worth more than the truck! Makes me wish I had won the lottery, I'd order one tomorrow.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 10/20/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A $1400 Salvage ought to come with a courtesy kick in the nuts................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
#3401912 10/20/09
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Have you shot one of the high-end savages lately?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's no such thing. Do I have Salvages wearing Custom tubes?

Certainly.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd go for a custom by one of the other makers before I'd spend the money on a Jarret.
We have some good custom makers who post here. Ask and ye shall recieve lots of references of the good guys.
Or you can almost do it all yourself. Order your choice of stocks. See if Rick's got a bargain McMillian that will fit your choice. Have a good Remington, or some other action, rebarreled by somebody like Pac-Nor and you are 80-90% there.
After that, it's a few little things and you are done. Same performance and much less cost. E
I've done it. Got advice right here. Works quite well. E

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a buddy who is great friends with Kenny and can get me a great deal.

you guys are not looking at the big picture if this great deal is equal to a custom from other sources why not get the jarret.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I agree!

If you can buy a Jarrett at 1/2 price you will never lose on the deal.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tbear99
I have a buddy who is great friends with Kenny and can get me a great deal.

you guys are not looking at the big picture if this great deal is equal to a custom from other sources why not get the jarret.

+1 on this train of thought. I could not see paying $5000+ for one of his rifles though he does build the whole thing himself, action, barrel and stock but if your buddy can get one at 1/2 price then why not. You should also look at Jarret's wildcat if you want a 243, I believe its close to a 6-06 based on a 270 win case.

You have to live with shelling out the money, so its really your decison to make. He may have a niche market but doing something right as he's been around for 20+ years.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Checked w/ my buddy and he said 1/2 price and a real nice tip.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1 on the Savage....It's a great gun these days, Had a guy beside me slip away his SAko .243 topped with a NF that you could count craders on the moon with, and pull out a brand new f-class Savage. It had a Bushnell Elite on it and he was outshooting the Sako hands down. One ragged hole. It was brand new Out of the shop that day. Nothing wrong with a sAvage. Not my preference but I wont' be dissn them.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,908
Posts18,498,231
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.