-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Good day all I'd like to introduce myself as a new member and Model 99 fan. I'm from western PA, and I own a Model 99M in a .308 caliber, a gun that was given to me by my brother sometime after he returned from Viet Nam; I don't recall exactly when. It's serial #1130011 but for me it might as well be 00001. My brother is gone now but his gift reminds me of his generosity and courage everytime I pick it up. After reading just a handful of posts here I have to say I am very impressed by your passion for this model and of course it's predessors. Without knowing much of anything about the gun's history until just recently I will tell you that it has always been the favorite gun in my cabinet and one I have hunted with for all these years while the newer models collected dust. My hunting friends always tease me because I just can't leave her in the gun cabinet. No matter what I say the week before deer season I always show up at camp with my Model 99. For me it's kind of fun to realize a lot of folks cherish the Model 99 as much as I cherish mine. Interestingly enough I worked for a number of years with Ron Coburn who you all know is the CEO of Savage. We worked together for Case Cutlery and I hunted with Ron in Montana and traveled with him many times. He's quite a character and a brilliant individual.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome and tell us about some of your good shots with that .308.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of folks don't give the post-1960 99's much credit, but the ones I've used have been perfectly fine. And the history on yours makes it priceless.

Wander over to www.savagela.org and take a look around. Lots of pics of 99's, and a few hunting photo's as well.

Welcome to the forum! Bring some pics back from hunting camp this year, always good to see them in action.

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you Mike. Relatively speaking I got into hunting later than most. I took my first buck with that gun while on leave from the USN in the early 70's. I'd like to tell you I made a great shot but the truth is I missed twice before killing him. That said I can't recall missing a buck since. I shoot std Remington Corelok 150 gr., and in the PA woods where a typical shot might be under 70 yds the .308 150 gr caliber and round is very efficient. I don't have a body count but I know I've killed 20 bucks with it, at least that many does, and one bear. A few years ago I became somewhat passionate about archery and have had a fair amt of success. Three out of the last 4 years including this year I've filled my buck tag in archery season, but I am looking forward to taking a doe this year with my Model 99 and maybe a bear. Lots of bears hear in NW PA and I've had multiple opportunities to kill a 2nd one but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm a pretty fortunate guy. I have a modest camp I share with two long time friends, nearly 2000 acres of semi-private land to hunt, and a wife that let's me fish and hunt whenever I want.

D
OP Offline
D
Calhoun, thanks for the welcome and the other Savage site.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Doubleheader
a wife that let's me fish and hunt whenever I want.

Worth her weight in gold

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Welcome and be sure to put up some pics of your hunt. Listen to these guys here. They have a wealth of info. You actually have something more priceless than the gun. You have wife that lets you hunt and fish as much as you want. grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by Doubleheader
a wife that let's me fish and hunt whenever I want.

Worth her weight in gold

Mike

AMEN

Andrew
D
OP Offline
D
You guys have no idea how great my wife really is. She is beautiful, intelligent, a great mother, a great homemaker, and she loves to fish. I can't imagine where I'd be without her. How many women do you know that look forward to two weeks of walleye fishing in Canada every year? And she's actually a joy to fish with although she does whine a little if things aren't going her way when fishing, of course, so do I. I have a 2009 album posted on walleye central if you care to see her in action. thanks for making me feel welcome everyone. I'll be dropping in regularly.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
DH - Welcome aboard - I take it you are somewhere hear Bradford?

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doubleheader,
Please see the sticky note up top re the 2010 SavageFest next October in
central Ohio. It's a reasonable drive for you. Hope you can come and see all the great rifles and more important meet a bunch of really nice people. Not to early to make reservations! Welcome to the forum.
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome aboard. Still kind of new here myself.

The best people on the whole campfire hang out in this forum.

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
C
C
Originally Posted by 99guy

The best people on the whole campfire hang out in this forum.

+1

Welcome, I'm new too.

Tony

D
OP Offline
D
Keystone- we live in Warren, but my wife works in Bradford and one daughter lives there. How about you?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Welcome to the forum, but be careful because it's a well-known fact around here that these Model 99's somehow tend to multiply, especially after visiting this sight!!! wink

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
DH- I actually live outside Richmond, VA but I have a farm near Corry that I hunt. My brother and his family all live in Warren. I've spent a lot of hours walking the ANF and on Kinzua looking for walleyes.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
cmhjohn, I live in Bristol Va./Tn. If you get down this way, stop by to say "hi." Welcome also from a newby. John

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,467
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.