Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Since blacktail hunting here in Western Washington doesn't really get going until about October 25th, I sometimes hunt with some buddies over near Omak. My wife and kids are visiting her parents this week so I decided to make the trip to the east side and try for a Mule Deer.

Here's our campsite:
[Linked Image]

The terrain can be fairly steep and you can end up covering a lot of ground--whether you want to or not! This is a pic from opening day and my GPS said we walked 14.2 miles:
[Linked Image]

Another view of our campsite. That little white spot just above the lake is our trailer:
[Linked Image]

The fog on opening morning was thick:
[Linked Image]

And then 90 seconds later it rolled away. It was weird!
[Linked Image]

After the fog left, the rain came. I felt like I was back on the West side, just lying in the rain, glassing for critters!
[Linked Image]

Day 1 ended with a good number of deer spotted, but nothing legal (mule deer are 3 pt minimum). On Day 2, I was sitting around the fire pit after lunch, just glassing the surrounding hillsides for my own amusement when I saw a deer butt about 300 yards away, just up from the road. I focused on it and saw an antler. Only one though--the other must have gotten busted off. As I analyzed the deer I concluded he was only a forked horn. My buddy Don had already gotten a spotting scope on him and shouted, "No, he's got a third point in the front! It's barely an inch, but he's legal!"

So I grabbed my orange vest and my rifle and jumped in the truck. Don drove me up the road and let me out. As I climbed the hill to look on the top, I got the worst case of buck fever ever! I started breathing hard; my heart was racing; and I couldn't think straight. I have no idea why--in the last year I've killed deer, elk, and antelope with no anxiety whatsoever. But as I walked up that hill, I wouldn't have been able to tell you my name if asked! Anyway, I got to the top and there he was and he had his girlfriend with him. I shouldered my rifle but the reticle was bouncing all over the place. The shot was only about 40 yards, but I was shaking so bad, it might as well have been 400. I am admittedly not a gifted shooter off-hand on my best day, and am even worse when excited. So I promptly air-mailed the first shot. That poor buck must have been so stunned that anybody could miss at that range, he didn't know what to do! So I chambered another round, told myself to get a grip and killed him with my second shot. I took him behind the shoulder and he went about 40 yards and piled up.

When I walked up to him, I saw for the first time, that his other antler wasn't missing, but rather was a freakish club thing that was hanging down by his face! (Sorry for the tongue hanging out, this pic was taken a day later):
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/WadeSamuelson/Omak%202009/IMG_1846.jpg[/img]

Anyway, it was the darndest thing I'd ever seen. The Cabela's in Billings, MT has a mount with something similar. That deer has a monstrous, full rack though and then has a black club thing similar to mine hanging off one side. I don't think Cabela's will be asking to display mine anytime soon:
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/WadeSamuelson/Omak%202009/IMG_1825.jpg[/img]

My rifle is a Rem 700 SPS .25-06 that I bought here off the classifieds from Crimson Tide. It wears a Leupy 3.5-10x40. It has a trigger job, but is otherwise as-is from the factory:
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/WadeSamuelson/Omak%202009/IMG_1832.jpg[/img]

Here's my buddy Don in a pic with me--if he hadn't spotted that third point, none of it would have happened:
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/WadeSamuelson/Omak%202009/IMG_1833.jpg[/img]

The best part was that it was my birthday. I had never gotten a deer on my birthday before--ever. I have always wanted to. I think it's funny that the year I do, I shoot the ugliest deer in the state! Oh well. So now it's back to work until elk season!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy birthday! What a great birthday present. Good tale well told. That may well be the oddest buck taken in Washington this season. Thanks for posting.

You seem to be having bad weather follow you to normally warm and sunny places. What does that bode for elk season in the cold wet west side jungles?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
cool buck, and nice tape!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats,great pics and neat buck...

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wade-
No such thing as an ugly buck.
Good on you AND the tape. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He is kind of odd looking. So odd it's kind of cute.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
unique.

bonus points for the tape grin

awesome photos.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Different.Never seen a club before that I can recall.Good job Wade.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
nice goin' waders!

That poor buck must have been so stunned that anybody could miss at that range, he didn't know what to do!

That cracked me up.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very interesting rack. Congrats.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bout fell out of my chair laughfin Wade, only thing I want to know, are you going to have him mounted?
Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Waders;
Thanks for sharing your hunt story and photos with us Wade and well done on that muley with such a unique rack. I�d love one like that as I rather enjoy seeing out of the ordinary antlers.

I didn�t catch what day you were in the fog, but this past Saturday we were seriously fogged in for much of the time where we were hunting up behind our place. We are a couple of hours north of Omak.

The photos by the way certainly look like some of our open country mule deer country, although we�re at the northern tip of the open country so we don�t have as much open rolling sage and brush.

So in summary Wade, congratulations, happy birthday, thanks again for sharing the pics and story and of course - good luck on your upcoming hunts!

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's what you call a character buck. I'd euro mount it and put it on the wall.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BC30cal,

We got that fog on opening morning (Saturday), and then suddenly it rolled out like somebody was sucking it up with a giant vacuum cleaner. Even when out on a boat fishing I've not seen fog move that fast.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nice going waders. that is one ugly buck but it has alot of character and that is cool.

It is ugly but cool at the same time. I bet your hunting buddies don't have one like that. Congrats.

Last edited by 325er; 10/21/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Missing the left nut?

Good deal Wade. Funny how much stuff gets shot real close to camps... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is cool, I like stange bucks ,it's not all about rack size to me.Well bucks that is.. Grin

1 and done
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wade,

That is without doubt one ugly freaky looking buck! I concur on doing a Euro mount. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! Nice camp and vehicles, beautiful country, pics are great of the ugly deer and hunters. Just kidding. That pic of the two of you and the deer, with the lake in the background is awesome. Not very apt to get a pic like that in KS. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,410
Posts18,528,153
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.