Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've read several threads where short actions have been listed as a virtue for selecting a particular cartridge. My question is: how many folks have chosen a cartridge based on the length of the rifle action? ie: 7-08 versus 7x57 or .308 versus 30-06. And does it really matter?
Among others, I shoot a 7-08, .280, and a 7RM. I never considered the action length when I was deciding to buy them.

Aim for the exit hole.
HR IC

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I select the bullet I want to shoot

Then I decide how fast I want it to go and how long a barrel I want to carry

That determines the cartridge, which then determines the action length.

The other way around, strikes me as analogous to selecting a car, based on the set of snow tires in your garage.

Last edited by free_miner; 10/23/09.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
I've read several threads where short actions have been listed as a virtue for selecting a particular cartridge. My question is: how many folks have chosen a cartridge based on the length of the rifle action? ie: 7-08 versus 7x57 or .308 versus 30-06. And does it really matter?
Among others, I shoot a 7-08, .280, and a 7RM. I never considered the action length when I was deciding to buy them.
.................As for myself anyway, I didn`t buy a 300 WSM specifically because of its shorter action length. Instead, I bought it because of a particular rifle I wanted, which at the time was available in a 300 WSM.

Imo, the extra 1/2" or so of bolt throw or travel with a longer action is very trivial. It`s more important to look at the entire rifle package as to weight, dimensions, shouldering, handling and feel and not just the action length alone.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I prefer an action to be long for the caliber I choose..I like to have a long throat and seat my bullet out a good deal..

Most factory rifles have a throat longer than the magazine and thats not a particularly good idea..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mostly all we can do is pick a cartridge. The rifles chambered for it are determined by the maker. I mean, it's kinda hard to find a .243 in a new .270/.30-06 length action these days.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I chose the rifle before the caliber on my last rifle.

I wanted a Kimber Montana. This was the package I liked best as a lightweight all weather rifle. The rifle was the easy part, choosing between the 308 and the 7mm-08 took over a year. (After the 200 page pissing match last year over the same choice I would have taken a 300 Savage if it had been offered. :p)

In the end I chose the 7mm-08, but the rifle was chosen a long time before the cartridge. But otoh I am not a speed demon. I am unimpressed with paper ballistics and I think much more about what I am going to hunt and where I will be hunting it that I do about the downrange energy I'll have at 500 yards.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
A
A
Action length comes into play if weight is a factor. If you don't care about weight then long or short action doesn't matter much, so make your choice based on caliber, ballistics, bullet, brand, wow factor, or whatever floats your boat. I think most people get a particular cartridge in mind and that determines the action length, and often influences the barrel length as well.

However, if you want a short, light, easy to carry rifle, starting with a short action is probably the most logical choice. It eliminates steel not only from the action, but also the bolt, both pretty dense items. It also means you can use a shorter stock, and everything else being equal that reduces weight as well. Finally, a short action will shorten your overall rifle length too, which also makes a gun easier to carry.

I used to hunt with a 9+ pound magnum rifle. Since I got a 6 pound (short action) rifle and found what a joy it is to carry, it's gotten pretty hard to find reasons to use get my 9 pounders out of the safe.

Short actions (of the same make) are also stiffer, which can help accuracy, but not enough to make a difference when looking for a hunting rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.