Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Give me a friggin break...

Remember those halcyon days when we knew nothing of trans fats in potato chips or the sugar count of our Cocoa Puffs? Now there's another issue to agonize over as you scour the back of the cereal box: carbon footprints.

Consumers in the U.K. are already eating carbon-quantified crisps, thanks to a new pilot project aimed at assessing the total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of a grocery item, from raw material production and manufacturing through to distribution and disposal.

Walkers, a PepsiCo company, has since agreed to assign labels to all its chips, but the numbers won't mean much to consumers until more companies sign up for the program. As of late September, about a dozen more had joined the program, among them Cadbury Schweppes and Coca-Cola, which should give the project some legs.

The challenge, of course, is to develop standards that are meaningful�easy for the consumer to understand, rigorous enough to endure scrutiny and universal enough to apply to thousands of different products.

Here in North America, we've been slower to jump on the carbon bandwagon, even though a recent study shows that nearly 50% of consumers are willing to pay a 10% to 30% premium for food from supply chains that emit half as much greenhouse gas as conventional chains.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/article789756.ece

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB4

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ignorance is bliss....

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
There will be carbon footprint labeling on most products soon.

Walmart, McDonalds, Taco Bell and others notified their suppliers more than a year ago to prepare for it. Their customers are wanting to make choices that are helathy for themselves and for the planet, so retailers are going to give them the info...

Lots of food processors have signed on to DOE and EPA's energy leadership program to reduce energy use by 25% in 10 years, and by 50% in 20 years. Energy reduction is largely carbong reduction, but carbon also includes tillage (low till or multiple passes over the ground), fertilizer (pesticide and herbicide) use, packaging, transporation, and recyclability. Basically all inputs, cradle to grave.

the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And all it does is increase cost for nothing..................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beans create greenhouse gas, oh my what will the veggies eat? whistle

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet theres a lot of 'peanut-butter' accounting that takes place in the numbers they post on the label. You know, get a big wad of peanut butter on a knife, spread it on the bread, and you can make it look like anything you want....

The company I work for has spent a ton of money upgrading boilers, air compressors, ammonia compressors, all with the justification of energy savings. If the savings wasn't there though, it wouldn't have happened.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I bet theres a lot of 'peanut-butter' accounting that takes place in the numbers they post on the label. You know, get a big wad of peanut butter on a knife, spread it on the bread, and you can make it look like anything you want....

The company I work for has spent a ton of money upgrading boilers, air compressors, ammonia compressors, all with the justification of energy savings. If the savings wasn't there though, it wouldn't have happened.

yep, if it ain't economical, it's less than practical. but, the big-money corporates are enlisting the aid of free-market lawyers to slow the process down.

what might happen if we stopped planting kentucky 31 fescue, and went back to the ancient art of planting trees??

planting trees, say it ain't so. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I may begin making it a point - and saying so aloud - that I'm buying the highest carbon footprint items I can find. Specifically to counter all this hysterical blather.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 78CJ
And all it does is increase cost for nothing..................

Absolutely- more government regulation = more cost.

All this stuff is really stupid if you ask me.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they are complaining bout the carbon footprint of your pets now too.....i chit you not:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/2987848/Save-the-planet-time-to-eat-dog

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
they are complaining bout the carbon footprint of your pets now too.....i chit you not:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/2987848/Save-the-planet-time-to-eat-dog

They can suck my dogz arss.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no interest in carbon Footprint info on my food labels..I wonder how many peoplethat say they do.. really do if they knew that their food costs will just increase further for the same product.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (160user, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,927
Posts18,479,845
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.