Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Y'all notice gunsmiths ain't listed, don't you? wink

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
Y'all notice gunsmiths ain't listed, don't you? wink

blue collar, mick... not blue barrel....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I do not know about you guys but around here there less and less young people actually learning a trade. It seems a lot of high school kids I talk to think they will get a 60k a year job just by going to college. I'm not knocking college at all but I have interviewed people right out of college and most of them expect to start out at mid level or above. It's really funny when the degree they have does not even apply to the job. I interviewed a guy not to long ago that had a degree in forestry which was great but we do not grow trees we generate power.

magnums the only way to shoot
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Being a Toolmaker doesn't pay quite that much,...but you get to spend every day around other people who know more than anybody else and are cranky as hell because nobody seems to believe it.

You also learn to do things with metal that most men can't,..but would like to.

In fact,..it's probably the most human of all careers.

The thing that seperates humans from animals is their ability to fabricate tools.

Us Toolmakers just take it to an extreme level.

smile I have an Engineering Degree. One of my promotions 20 years ago was taking over the Stamping & Four-slide departments, including the toolroom. Seven toolmakers and three machinists.

They all had different personalities, but the senior toolmaker was a real character. One day his false teeth were hurting him, and he got mad, pulled them out, chucked them in a vise, and started grinding on them with a die grinder. The rest of the toolroom was red faced, trying not to laugh out loud. He was also pretty damn talented, too. He made some pretty ingenious tools, like one small stainless auto sunvisor clip, that was almost wrapped around itself. Even the guys he argued with a lot admitted he was talented.

When word got around that I was leaving that company, he exclaimed, "Damn it, he was the only one left with any common sense!". I guess he thought I was okay, too smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmt277
I do not know about you guys but around here there less and less young people actually learning a trade. It seems a lot of high school kids I talk to think they will get a 60k a year job just by going to college. I'm not knocking college at all but I have interviewed people right out of college and most of them expect to start out at mid level or above. It's really funny when the degree they have does not even apply to the job. I interviewed a guy not to long ago that had a degree in forestry which was great but we do not grow trees we generate power.

I get people who apply all the time "with a college degree" who literally would take less money if they got to wear a tie to work instead of jeans and walking out to the shop a few times a day.

They aren't interested in actually doing anything. It's about the job title they can tell their friends what it is.

Me and my father both have had guys who work in the office who one day say their too good to even walk out to the shop and converse with the shop people and want a flunkie for that job. That's the last day they work here.

I guess I grew up funny. I grew up knowing a LOT of small business owners and the richest people I knew wore jeans and work boots to work everday and yet still manage to make multi millions a year.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
One day his false teeth were hurting him, and he got mad, pulled them out, chucked them in a vise, and started grinding on them with a die grinder.

And what would a dentist do, pull them out and start grinding on them with a die grinder... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Davis-Bacon wages for carpenters is 51.58 here. Bricklayers, a bit more.

What's a beer cost at the Great Alaskan Bush Company now $10.00?

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NathanL

I get people who apply all the time "with a college degree" who literally would take less money if they got to wear a tie to work instead of jeans and walking out to the shop a few times a day.

They aren't interested in actually doing anything. It's about the job title they can tell their friends what it is.

Me and my father both have had guys who work in the office who one day say their too good to even walk out to the shop and converse with the shop people and want a flunkie for that job. That's the last day they work here.

I guess I grew up funny. I grew up knowing a LOT of small business owners and the richest people I knew wore jeans and work boots to work everday and yet still manage to make multi millions a year.

Dad had his college education interrupted by WWII, and his young English bride & children. He eventually wound up with his own garage and put three kids through college. He did okay, and is one of the hardest working people I ever met. My brother & I both worked our way through high school & college in his garage, as mechanics. I'm still not shy about getting my hands dirty in the shop.

I saw one guy once with a Masters degree in Engineering, who had been tasked with supervising one production department. One of the grinders needed new jig bushings. It was a comical two days as he kept asking me for one thing after another. First the bushings themselves, then a punch to drive them out, then a hammer. After I finally gave them all to him, he had to come to me and finally admit he had no idea how to change bushings on the machine, and none of his employees would admit they did, either. I had to send a machinist over to do it for him. He wasn't arrogant, just inexperienced.

Lots of guys (and a few girls) like the idea of designing and fixing stuff and go into engineering. Some folks get better training than others. The ones who don't like to get their hands dirty, or think that they're better than the people in the shop usually are a big pain in the office, too. I have no use for them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The pest control technician visited my home today and in the course of the inspection, we discussed a number of things - kids, football, guns and police operations.

He had been a county police officer and been shot twice (he had been on the SWAT squad) and knifed once in the 9 years he was on the force. He had the scars to prove it and when he described his last time being shot, I recalled the event from period news articles. The last shooting was in 2001 and he was making $61,000 a year.

While he was recuperating (2001), his home was being inspected for terminates and he got to talking to the technician. He learned that the technician was making $72,000 a year (at the time) and had a very low risk of being shot. He switched careers soon after. I don�t know what he is making now, but it is certainly more that in 2001.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JacquesLaRami
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Davis-Bacon wages for carpenters is 51.58 here. Bricklayers, a bit more.

What's a beer cost at the Great Alaskan Bush Company now $10.00?

and still worth every penny grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RN

I am paid hourly. I have a union. I make over 40 bucks an hour.

smile

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
goalie. Nothin' personal man, but some of the stuff you have to do, I wouldn't do for any amount of money. I work in a Hospital and like my boiler room just fine. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess we Correctional Officers in CA are considered Professionals instead of blue collar - but its still blue collar non college education work, and it paid better than the top job here, until Gov. Arnold S broke the law and made us slaves for three days every 4 weeks.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I know these are US rates....but one of the best paying "blue collar"...or maybe khaki collar job....these days is being a private security operator in the sandbox. My old PH from RSA is making almost 200K this year in Iraq guarding govt. big wig.

Of course, he did get blown up by an IED in 2005 and was out rehabbing for several months, but....you know, occupational hazard.

Just got through eating shrimp with a friend who will be headed back to Afghanistan after the first of the year. He will be making over 200 grand this go around as an instructor. I guess with all the risk goes the rewards.

Last edited by amax155; 10/24/09. Reason: publik edukashun

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Just seeing this after working 20 hours of OT in the two days due to our first wet snow of the year.

Lets see................ that comes out to about, well lets just say I'm not complaining

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Locomotive Engineer or Conductor is going to be in the $80k to $120K range from day one,depending how much you want to let the company work you.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Being a Toolmaker doesn't pay quite that much,...but you get to spend every day around other people who know more than anybody else and are cranky as hell because nobody seems to believe it.

You also learn to do things with metal that most men can't,..but would like to.

In fact,..it's probably the most human of all careers.

The thing that separates humans from animals is their ability to fabricate tools.

Us Toolmakers just take it to an extreme level.

How would you like to be Lee24's toolmaker?

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kend
goalie. Nothin' personal man, but some of the stuff you have to do, I wouldn't do for any amount of money. I work in a Hospital and like my boiler room just fine. Ken

I worked in the Hospital for 30 plus years in critical care. People live and they die , you get used to it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
At my current job, I spend a lot of time at a little manual Hardinge precision lathe turning things like this out of 304 stainless.

There's worse ways to make a living, I suppose.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (222ND, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,486
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.