-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you try the 60gr Aguilla, do it without the suppressor to make sure the bullets stabilize in your barrel. Most 1 in 16 rimfire barrels won't stabilize that bullet. You don't want a baffle strike in your can.

They make a special fast twist barrel for a 10/22 just to shoot those 60 grainers.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by mtmisfit
If you try the 60gr Aguilla, do it without the suppressor to make sure the bullets stabilize in your barrel. Most 1 in 16 rimfire barrels won't stabilize that bullet. You don't want a baffle strike in your can.

They make a special fast twist barrel for a 10/22 just to shoot those 60 grainers.

With all the great standard velocity and sub-sonic offerings, I just don't see enough benefit to ever mess with the Aguila 60gr.

Give me some CCI Standard Velocity (or even Fed bulk packs) for plinking for the CCI Sub-sonic Segmented HP for varmints/hunting and I'm one happy camper!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Aguilas are quieter in my rifles, and that heavy bullet does cycle the action of my 10-22, while target ammo some times does not. Target ammo works fine in my bolt gun, and I use it a lot, but it's not as quiet as Aquila...very close, though.

Standard velocity ammo (not match) isn't reliable so far as sub/supersonic goes. Some of it will crack out of there, most of it won't.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty neat Sir, Thanks for the link.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff, here is a manufacturer in TX. that has a good reputation. http://www.johnsguns.us/main.htm

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chambered for shorts

[Linked Image]

CCI CB SHORTS AT 50 Yards, bag rest

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay away from hollow points. Standard velocity RN bullets work fine on hogs, placement is everything. All of the above shot with CCI CB shorts. They will penetrate a hog's skull on frontal shots, thru and thru. They will also penetrate neck and vertebrae thru and thru on hogs smaller than about 100# with a broadside shot. Probably the SV LR ammo is better but it makes a bit more noise in comparable length barrels. All the preceding about sonic cracks is correct. Muzzle blast is a function of expansion ratio (ER) and long barrels are quieter than short ones. Suppressors work on the same theory...higher ER. Did a recent comparison with a sound meter and found that CCI SV LRHP from a 26" barrel registered the same noise signature at 10' as a CB short from a 20" barrel, both measured perpendicular from the bore center line. About 85 dbA as I recall. The CB from the long barrel just goes 'ping'-'whap'.

YMMV

Last edited by DigitalDan; 10/24/09.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That's one wicked lookin' skull......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nebraska
That's one wicked lookin' skull......

The previous owner operator of that skull would probably agree that CCI CB chorts are the "Wicked" part of this particular scenario.

They're damn sure accurate.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
CB shorts are a great way to get "quiet" without going through the hassle/expense of a suppressor. For that matter, if you're just plinking or hunting small game, so is a 22 cal RWS. I killed a truckload of rabbits/crows with my RWS 54..... cool

That being said, I wouldn't want to go back!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"They're damn sure accurate."

....winning Schuetzen Matches accurate.

from a longer rifle , WAY quieter than any airgun.

Hush,.......

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Shooting CB's will make you wonder why you even screw with an air rifle.

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rost

You ask some good questions. Knowing what I know today, personally I would not do a 300 whisper again. I prefer a 308 loaded with trailboss to do subsonic 30 cal shooting. Unless you are using an AR platform. I have killed quite a number of deer with both.

For a 22 I have a YHM Mite. My biggest concern with a 22 can is being able to clean it.

The most recent setup I am using is a 788 44 mag with a gemtech blackside 45 thread on. Works great for deer.

To make you feel better, I set up my hunting rifles this way for small parcel suburban hunting. It keeps the neighbors from freaking out.

Pmc

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 13 invisible), 1,645 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,831
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.