Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by MColeman
Y'all notice gunsmiths ain't listed, don't you? wink

blue collar, mick... not blue barrel....

Grimy collar don't count?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
Who says hard work doesn't pay? These 10 blue-collar jobs show that the color of your collar doesn't necessarily dictate the level of your income.
What Does It Mean to Be a Blue-Collar Worker?

Blue-collar jobs are typically classified as involving manual labor and compensation by an hourly wage. Some fields that fall into this category include construction, manufacturing, maintenance, and mining.

What It Does Not Mean

Do not mistake blue-collar jobs for easy-to-land, easy-to-keep, or low-paying ones. Although some blue-collar jobs do not require a four-year degree, many of them require additional education by way of specialized training, a certification, or an apprenticeship.

There are several blue-collar jobs that offer competitive compensation packages, relative to their white-collar counterparts.

Elevator installers and repairers sit atop the list with an average hourly wage of $42.08. This hands-on occupation involves many tasks, including assembly, testing, maintenance and repair of elevators, escalators and moving sidewalks. On average, an elevator installer or repairer can bring in over $87,000 dollars per year.

Ship and boat captains and operators earn an average of $24.86 per hour for navigating their vessels through a variety of waterways. On average, a captain or operator brings in almost $58,000 each year, but these captains have to work a bit harder for the money -- the average work week is 51.8 hours.

The pressure is on, literally, for gas plant operators who control compressors to keep gas flowing through pipelines. This essential job pays workers just under $64,000, or approximately $30.71 on an hourly basis.

There are several specialties within the electrical and electronic repair industry. The most lucrative area involves inspecting and repairing electrical equipment at generating stations, substations and in-service relays. These workers bring in an average salary of $68,000 per year. (Education and training benefit not only the worker, but also the employer and the country as a whole.)

The Top 10 List

1. Elevator Installer and Repairer

Average salary: $87,518
Average hourly wage: $42.08
Average work week: 40 hours

2. Electrical and Electronics Repairer -- Powerhouse, Substation and Relay

Average salary: $68,084
Average hourly wage: $32.75

3. Power Plant Operator, Distributor and Dispatcher

Average salary: $65,846
Average hourly wage: $31.50

4. Gas Plant Operator

Average salary: $63,872
Average hourly wage: $30.71

5. Locomotive Engineer

Average salary: $63,125
Average hourly wage: $28.27
Average work week: 42.5 hours

6. Electrical Power Line Installer and Repairer

Average salary: $60,354
Average hourly wage: $29.02

7. Structural Iron and Steel Worker

Average salary: $59,224
Average hourly wage: $28.55
Average work week: 39.9 hours

8. Construction and Building Inspector

Average salary: $59,144
Average hourly wage: $28.31
Average work week: 40.2 hours

9. Ship and Boat Captain and Operator

Average salary: $57,910
Average hourly wage: $24.86
Average work week: 51.8 hours

10. Radio and Telecommunications Equipment Installer

Average salary: $57,149
Average hourly wage: $27.48
Average work week: 39.9 hours

About the List

The jobs are ranked by annual salary, from highest to lowest, excluding overtime. The data was pulled from the National Compensation Survey: Occupational Earnings in the United States 2008, which is published by U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Well, try getting one of those jobs, my application is in there somewhere. I have applied for more than one of those jobs, and have been trying for months just to get an interview.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nothing against the blue collar worker as I was wonderfully raised by two that worked their tails off to see that their three children went to college. That said and with so many nay-sayers of us "senseless" college folks those $$$ numbers above are where many college graduates start, age 23, no experience. Then they move on to run the businesses that make up the US economy, which, for the greater part has been pretty damn well. OK, let 'em fly...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At a recent family function, people gathered into different groups to converse.
There was one side of the family that had money and sent their kids to numerous big name colleges.
These folks were in their late thirties and early forties now.
NONE had a [bleep] clue as to their direction in life.
They stumbled around from one job to the next, looking for their BIG BREAK (next handout)
I would be willing to bet that my wife and I had accumulated more wealth from our basic blue collar jobs and common sense than all of these spoiled brats combined.
We own our two story home on four acres outright, our vehicles are paid for and we are in position to retire in a couple years at age 50.
Zero college, just a good work ethic and common sense.
My two brothers are doing very well also in their chosen blue collar fields of law enforcement, both making over 100k a year with OT factored in.
College degrees are worthless IMO without a driven individual putting them to use.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Salmonella

...College degrees are worthless IMO without a driven individual putting them to use.

That's the key to it all. I completely agree with you.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wetterling
Locomotive Engineer or Conductor is going to be in the $80k to $120K range from day one,depending how much you want to let the company work you.

Not anywhere I've seen. Most operating personnel on class 1 railroads are subject to lower starting wages with progression over 5 years. Sometimes they luck out and get the progression accelerated by some later agreement, but not the rule. There are some runs that pay those kind of wages after a few years, but they are not the rule - and "letting the company work you" isn't so much of an option now, since the new hours of service restrictions went into effect in July of this year.

I've seen operating wages to commonly run from 50k-ish to 100k-ish, depending on the location and what jobs seniority will allow one to hold - and that all assumes one can stay working all year. Might run a little different on the eastern seaboard, I guess....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How does a guy get to work as an engineer or conductor? I would be down with that gig...

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got news for you guys, some of those gigs are even better than they sound there. Refinery operators, for instance, make $31 an hour, but the work 12 hour days (4 hours each day are 1.5), and they have all the overtime they can work. Most around here average $120K annually. That included full retirement, paid life time insurance for worker and dependents and vesting at 10 years. The downside? Who wants to spend their life in a refinery?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
How does a guy get to work as an engineer or conductor? I would be down with that gig...

Not a good time to get hired right now. frown

But most railroads do their outside hiring out of the state employment office these days, AFAIK. If you want to get your foot in the door though, look for openings in the "dirty" departments first. I'm referring to labor positions in the track department, for instance. If you aren't afraid to do hard labor (or what passes for it these days) in all kinds of bad weather and lousy locations, aren't afraid to travel and be away from home, don't mind dealing with a ton of what seem to be ridiculous rules and regulations, are drug-free and have no criminal history and at least a high-school diploma (college helps) - you could get hired even now, I bet - if you aren't picky about where it is and what you're doing.

Then look into transferring into transportation dept
when the hiring begins again. (hopefully, it will frown ) And then, don't be surprised when it ain't as glorious as you might have expected...

Not that I'm complaining.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well - I used to drive a truck, been in the Navy. My grandfather retired from CN. I have a friend working for CN but he knows of nothing.

I currently work in the Intermodal department for a large trucking company BUT a guy has to keep his options open.

Rules and regs - I've seen them.

Just curious is all - I think a RR job might suit me rather well.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teal - Navy guys seem to do real well in the operating crafts. It must be a familiar environment. You should look into it. You might like it. If you ever want more info, drop me a pm.

J
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I got news for you guys, some of those gigs are even better than they sound there. Refinery operators, for instance, make $31 an hour, but the work 12 hour days (4 hours each day are 1.5), and they have all the overtime they can work. Most around here average $120K annually. That included full retirement, paid life time insurance for worker and dependents and vesting at 10 years. The downside? Who wants to spend their life in a refinery?

the downside, senors, is the terrible responsibility that these operators work under...
the training and responsibilities for refinery and power plant operations warrants far higher salary than is mentioned here...

phillips 66, pasadena 89

BP amoco, texas city 2005

TMI, 1979

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I worked my way through college in an aluminum foundry, actully in the foundry pouring metal and working on furnaces not in production. Got the scars to prove it. With zero education I made $15K a year more than I make now (10 yrs later) with two professional degrees. But...

That plant is closed, gone to MX. As are pretty much all of the similar plants in the state.

My current job sucks. I don't like this state I am forced to be in, I am sure as hell not on the career path I would like, but it is A JOB.

Folks back home who were making big money as machinists or electricians are really hurting right now.

Last edited by RexM; 10/25/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

College degrees are worthless IMO without a driven individual putting them to use.

Actually, without drive/motivation/desire or whatever you want to call it....PEOPLE are worthless.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by goalie
RN

I am paid hourly. I have a union. I make over 40 bucks an hour.

smile

An RN is NOT considered a "blue collar" job, requires a college degree and is officer eligible in the military. My wife makes about $42 as a nurse- I'm not complaining.

I make over $25 driving a bus! Gotta love it!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by goalie

Actually, without drive/motivation/desire or whatever you want to call it....PEOPLE are worthless.

Bingo.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 71 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,121
Posts18,502,378
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.