24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I am buying my husband a rifle for christmas. We are both in law enforcement and he has expressed interest in a M1A 308 Semi-Auto. I am looking at a Springfiled M1A scout 308/ Socom / Browning 308 and trying to stay under 1750. Any input would be appreciated on which is better or preferred.

Last edited by maddog_911; 10/19/09. Reason: updated info
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Springfields are the best imho

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Springfields are definately good stuff.

Do you have a sister? wink

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Springfield, or maybe a DSA FAL.
You should be able to purchase either for that amount of money.
I would personally go with a DSA FAL , but the Springfield is a great rifle. I would not recommend the Scout or the SOCOM, unless he will be doing a lot of door kicking with it. I prefer the longer barrel for shooting, less noise and more versatile. Just my $.02.

RE

Beware the man with one gun, for he likely knows how to use it...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Concur on the M1A; best platform to start with.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you sold on the SA then find an older M1A bush rifle (18") with a flash hider. the brake on the SOCOM will cause perm. hearing damage if fired w/o protection.
I'd buy a FN FAL.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i got second dibbs on the sister.... i would offer a suggestion to ask some of his buddies... there may be something specific he would flip to see as a surprise gift.(i am talking guns guys so leave that one alone) smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also like the Springfield. SOCOM is a 16", and I would look at the "Scout" with the 18" bbl. The SOCOM is great if he is going to hang a bunch of lights, lasers, etc., but it is also like hanging onto a porcupine. The Scout is short, and if he wants to mount a scout scope he has a forward mount. I guess it boils down to how he will use this rifle. If he is going to shoot at the range at paper, go with a standard 22". The prices are starting to come down to reasonable, pre-Obama levels, good luck, it is a good thing that you do!

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Also....post your question here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

A LOT OF LEO'S HERE AS WELL AS ACTIVE AND RETIRED MILITARY...

===========================================

I've 'had' all the model M1A'S Springfield has made except the SOCOM (Scout) which I think sucks because it's not stainless!!!

I 'have' 3 Armalites....

The Armalite is not superior to the Springfield. The Springfield is not superior to the Armalite...etc...etc...

Differences are somewhat MY-NOOT...in my opinion only.
laugh
I have 2 GAP 308's which will out shoot either semi-auto's...but not by much. More immediate firepower with the semi's more shot placement via my bolts...boils down to personal preference...personal preference.

Bolt is less time consuming maintaining while on the other hand semi's are time consuming...

I carried the M14 E2 and the M-60 IN 66".... I am crazy over the 308.

At 700 yards for one vs in order of my choice: M-60 ( laugh laugh :D) because of multiple lauch..., The Armalite...again multiple launching...Bolt action; For one shot, one kill ...my bolt

Last edited by gunisemptyohno; 10/19/09.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do you have a sister? Send pics... Wait nevermind, is she available?

Springfield, by the way.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'd get a SA scout or Bush, standard is nice also. Stay away from the SOCOM, I've owned the SOCOM I and II; both have issues with the front sight. one cracked on me, another disappeared (flew off, could not be found) and the last one the trinium lamp burned out after a few rounds. Each time SA replaced but lead time, wait went into confusion, so I ended up selling the rifles.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ANY high powered rifle will cause permanent hearing damage if fired without protection.

Originally Posted by ringworm
If you sold on the SA then find an older M1A bush rifle (18") with a flash hider. the brake on the SOCOM will cause perm. hearing damage if fired w/o protection.
I'd buy a FN FAL.

OP Offline
thanks for all info. I went and got the M1a Scout he should be happy. I am sure it will get along with the M4 in safe. I know the M1A is what we used in the color guard back in my younger days in corps. I appreciate the input and to the former marines that posted ....Semper Fi...now I just have to get accessories(those can be from the kids) Thanks again!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Good for you.

Lucky for him.

Reminds me of when my wife bought me a rifle for Christmas. We ended up returning it to get a heavier barrel. 2 guys in the store asked "how did I train her?" My response was, she came that way. Lucky me. She was there for all this as well.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is your Mom a widow by any chance?? Divorced?? crazy

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants - it is the creed of slaves" William Pitt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M14. nuff said.

/^\__/^\
((*) (*))
``(oo) ``
(V\/v\/V)

--AARDVARK--

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.