Print Thread
Hop To
#3431390 10/29/09
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, this is kind of silly.

I rented this from the 50-cent aisle for, maybe, my ailing teenager to watch...

I ended up watching it late-night last night because I had to stay up late talking my youngest down from her fever hallucinations. Man they are terrifying even to witness! Poor kid.

ANYWAY, this Beowulf thing. It's animated, made in 2007, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite dark, quite gory in places... very entertaining.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
i read it in this place...

the uh...

library.

yeah thats what they called it. i think it was 1980 or sometime along there.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Geeze...the guy can't even say he likes a movie and you guys piss on him. [Linked Image]

I've read the Old English translation of the poem and saw the film Jeff is describing. I think it's a pretty good adaptation.

I enjoyed it as well. It's also worth watching the extras and seeing how they make the film. I particularly like how the guy who voiced Beowulf says that he's glad they made him look like another actor (Gerard Butler?) instead of himself...

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pretty good job with the digital Jolie too IIRC.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
she was mean

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Grendle monster was way cool.

When he first showed up and laid waste to the mead party... I knew I was in for something different...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed reading it in HS. No desire to reread now, may look for it to watch. Did see a Beowulf movie on Sci-fi a while back that totally sucked, IIRC scoped semi-auto crossbows and such nonsense.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This isn't at ALL like that.

Dark, gory, and pretty intense, really...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And hot cartoon chicks.

MAGA
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The monster, Grendel. This thing would literally pick guys up and rip them in half:

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Seen the movies, got the rifle.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Watched the movie in the theater and it pretty much sucked ass.

What was good was all the dumbshits that didn't realize they were going to a computer generated movie.One guy stood up right in the movie and said,"I'm getting my [bleep]' money back".At least 150 people in the room at the beginning and at least 60 people got up and left.The front counter/register was pissing and moaning about angry people.Of course it's all high school kids working the counter,so they got bullyed even worse by adults.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Did those people just wander in blind? It's not like all the commercials and trailers hid the fact it was CGI.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
There is also a version with real folks in it. It was much better than the cartoon version in my viewing. I don't believe I finished the animated one.

Either way, the rifle is much more fun.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Surprised this thread is not about the .50 cal Beowulf ctg in the AR platform?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In fact there's several live action versions. A pretty serious one starred Gerard Butler a few years back. I haven't even seen that one. A couple others were of the sci fi/straight to video variety and were fairly cheesy. (though the one with Rhona Mitra in it had her looking fairly naughty)

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I liked that it was CGI! I was stuck staying up late with a sick kid... I just wanted to be entertained, and the CGI let them really go for it visually...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Im a big fan of this version of Beowulf! Anthony Hopkins, Angelina Jolee, whats not to like? As was said it is quite dark, very gory in scenes and overall enjoyable.

Talking about Grendel ripping those guys in half at the mead party, remember when he ate the head of that one guy...made a sickening crunch like when the owl bites through the Tootsie Roll Pop wink

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought it was pretty good.
If you're a literature guy, read the Seamus Heaney translation, but be sure to read the forward and prologue.
It is marvelous.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (25aught6, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222ND, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,489
Posts18,529,792
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.