Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Somewhere in my photos boxes I have a picture I took back in the 80's of an M1 and Leopard II, sitting side by side.

The size of those beasts side by side is impressive.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This doesn't relate to much here, but I distinctly remember a day down in Hohenfels. Driving a jeep and coming around a corner on a little dirt road to confront an FRG Leopard not 30 yards away.

Skidded to a stop and just sat for a moment. Bunch of German soldiers that were riding the tank looking back, just smiling - knowing that if it was 25 years before my ass would have been grass!

Very, very impressive looking into the muzzle of a tank gun. Said gun attached to a grey monster with that square white German cross on it was, unsettling.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
This doesn't relate to much here, but I distinctly remember a day down in Hohenfels. Driving a jeep and coming around a corner on a little dirt road to confront an FRG Leopard not 30 yards away.

Skidded to a stop and just sat for a moment. Bunch of German soldiers that were riding the tank looking back, just smiling - knowing that if it was 25 years before my ass would have been grass!

Very, very impressive looking into the muzzle of a tank gun. Said gun attached to a grey monster with that square white German cross on it was, unsettling.

I have a street sign that is appropriate to your post. Possible that not another one exists in the United States.

A buddy of mine was USMLM out of Potsdam and I was supposed to take his position when he left. Long story short, the street sign is the standard European right of way sign, only the East Germans had a version where they had a T-54/55 tank in the middle of the ubiquitous yellow diamond meaning "Tanks have the right of way".

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Pete E
When the British were testing the Atomic bomb in Australia in the 1950's, one of the tests included placing a Centurian, with its engine running, about 600 yards from the detonation.

After the test, the tank was found to have suffered only minor damage to its lights, optics, antennas ect and it was determined it only have stopped running when it ran out of fuel! The tank was decontaminated and driven off the test site!

That vehicle was in service another twenty odd years with the Australian Army, and included seeing combat in Vietnam.

It is now set up as a gate guard at a barracks in the northern Australia somewhere...
You need better Nukes. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
You need better Nukes. grin

I just knew that was coming! grin grin grin

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Our M26 Pershing used in the last months of WWII, especially the experimental "SuperPershing" was an even match for the King Tiger. See:DEATH TRAPS by Belton Y. Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The uped gun Sherman Firefly could take the Tiger out also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A King Tiger against and Abrams? Somebody is kidding themselves.

Killed three miles before the Tigers gets in range? How do that work?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll take an A-10... grin...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'll take an A-10... grin...

I was just thinkin the same thing...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Until recently the same company owned both Buttwipper beer and the tank company in Germany.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3sixbits

That's why it should be compared to the German Leopard 2.I mean 65 years of difference between.Even on a chitty day my 2000 Chev will smoke a stock 40's Chev.Of the newer tanks I'd grab the Leopard 2.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Leopard 2 ain't anything to sneeze at.
Ahhh, how I would have loved to deploy that tank against the Popov's during WWII...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same gun as the M1 but it has a lower profile and the turrets faster on the German tank.It can spin it's turret and tracks in sick like speed .A awesome weapon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can the Leopard fire on the move? Can it fire at 60 miles an hour? Can the Leopard go 60 miles an hour?

The best defense a tank has is never being where everybody thinks it's suppose to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2

Last edited by derby_dude; 10/29/09.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
A KonigsTiger's main gun could cause serious problems. Armor heavy enuff to give SOME protection. SERIOUS mobility problems. SUPERBLY trained crews though.

Sorry, no. The M1 crew would survive the hit from a King Tiger. If the main gun and fire control system survived, the entire German crew would be dead and the tank destroyed. If the main gun and fire control system did not survive but the comms did, the TC would contact his wing man and then the entire German crew would be dead and the tank destroyed.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leopard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by 3sixbits

That's why it should be compared to the German Leopard 2.I mean 65 years of difference between.Even on a chitty day my 2000 Chev will smoke a stock 40's Chev.Of the newer tanks I'd grab the Leopard 2.

Don't fight an M1A2SEP in that L2 unless you like being dead.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
mjc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Super Pershing" vs. Germany's "King Tiger"

http://www.3ad.com/history/news/super.pershing.1.htm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by 340boy
When the M1 was first deployed to Europe, there were stories going around how that any cars foolish enough to follow the tanks to closely had the paint blistered off of them.

They are also fantastically fuel thirsty..In GW 1 and 2, it was found that the logistics elements had real problems keeping up with them and it was always a concern they would end up running dry at the wrong time...

But they didn't. grin It's not cool to say and it's not cool to do, but US logisitcs forces are without peer from rivals or allies.

Expat

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,565
Posts18,531,742
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.