Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I was reading some ammo reviews on midways just trying to see other peoples opinion and I would constantly see a low review and the excuse would be small entry hole small exit hole so the bullet must not have expanded. One case in particular was a 139gr hornady spire point shot at 3150fps from a 7 mag. The guy shot a doe at 40 yards and claimed no expantion. How the heck does a soft point not expand at 3000fps? Skin when under stress streches and the wound may appear smaller then it really is. There is no way to tell the true damage done with out opening up a deer and no way to tell the true expantion of a bullet with out recovering it.

Just tired of people thinking they are experts because they have a subscription to F&S. Rant Over.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not expand? hell im bout half surprised there was an exit grin surprised it didnt act a bit like a varmint bullet at 40 yards

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My father killed a few deer with that bullet in handloads and Weatherby factory ammo for his 7mm Wby and rest assured lack of expansion was not an issue. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry but I just cannot agree with your post title... At least the sometimes part smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Unless he was downloading it considerably, I'm surprised that the bullet held together for 40 yards.
Of course, I'm reminded of the line, "at what point in the dead deer did the bullet fail?" smile

Last edited by stillbeeman; 10/29/09.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even above average Joes are idiots sometimes. They just hide it better than that guy.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I hear ya. Ive read some of those reviews on midway and just shake my head.

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thats the exact bullet I use in my 7mm08, and I can tell you, at those velocitys and on deer at least, its expands very reliably and after shooting somewhere around 60 deer with it, Ive never had a bullet fail one way or the other.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot a lot of deer with that bullet over the years. One season I did all my hunting with a 7mm Weatherby Mag and the rifle came with about 10 boxes of that 139 gr Hornaday SP. No problem on anything I shot with it. In the first years of the 7mm-08 Remington Bough and loaded 139 gr Hornaday's it was a very good load for deer size game.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree that the bullet is utterly reliable in a 7-08 and a .280 having used it quite a bit myself but I'd never think to use it in a 7mag??? Hmmmm

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, it was going so fast it didn't have time to expand! crazy

Ted grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Well, it was going so fast it didn't have time to expand! crazy

Ted grin

Yep. I was surprised some years back when I shot a good sized caribou bull with a 100 BT in the 25-06 - at under 100 yards. He simply did the "I'm dead, circle prance" and then laid down. But the tiny entrance and exit holes could not be distinguished and I had to recall which side was facing me at the shot to tell which was which. As I recall, the insides were simply and literally lung soup; not a shred that couldn't have been swallowed as is.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I used to laugh at the product reviews on Midway.. Then I realized that I share the woods with these guys. sick

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't stand to be around 99% of hunters and shooters.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
I was reading some ammo reviews on midways just trying to see other peoples opinion and I would constantly see a low review and the excuse would be small entry hole small exit hole so the bullet must not have expanded. One case in particular was a 139gr hornady spire point shot at 3150fps from a 7 mag. The guy shot a doe at 40 yards and claimed no expantion. How the heck does a soft point not expand at 3000fps? Skin when under stress streches and the wound may appear smaller then it really is. There is no way to tell the true damage done with out opening up a deer and no way to tell the true expantion of a bullet with out recovering it.

Just tired of people thinking they are experts because they have a subscription to F&S. Rant Over.

"...the excuse would be small entry hole..." Hello! Anybody home?

Just for the record, Joes are like the children of Lake Woebegone; There is no such thing as an 'average' Joe. We are all ABOVE average.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone is an idiot SOME OF THE TIME, - its a complex world out there.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolutely fabulous bullet! It is typical that he based the performance on one kill. Typical arm chair hunter. Probably hit the deer in the ear.

My favorite posts on Midway are like the following:

"Bulut dusnt shout gude at al in my gun. Vary pour acricy, woood not recumend ths bulut." I have see a LOT of these types of product reviews. Sheesh, how do they even read a loading manual, let alone not blow themselves up?

I spend a lot of time at a local outdoor 200 yard public rifle range that is 3 miles from my house. RARELY is there a guy that shows up that can shoot. The other 99% of the guys have junk rifles, junk scopes, even worse scope mounts, yet complain because they can't hit a paper plate at 50 yards. These are the guys that actually try to sight in their rifles before the hunt. The other 90% just figure, "It was on 10 years ago, so I am good to 600 yards!" Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And you can test their range estimation by asking, using this exact quote:

"How far do you think it is to that 200 yard line?"

"Oh, about 450 yards, I reckon..."

whistle

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Jim too funny and soo true grin laugh

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
And you can test their range estimation by asking, using this exact quote:

"How far do you think it is to that 200 yard line?"

"Oh, about 450 yards, I reckon..."

whistle

Last edited by ehunter; 11/03/09.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RugerM77270

I use the same bullet in 7X57 at about 2500 fps (loaded on a lee loader). Checked the lungs of the last deer I shot with it. Hole in the one you could stick your fist in, other lung untouched. No exit hole. Always used lung shots and never needed a second shot. Good bullet for that cartridge.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,479
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.